Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:00:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

queer/trans comrades thread

Started by GoblinAhFuckScary, December 13, 2020, 07:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

I went along to this earlier: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61060024

It was a really good turnout, hundreds is conservative I'd say. Some really interesting and hugely moving (and also often pretty funny) speeches from loads of people from all kinds of backgrounds.

Similarly to with the BLM protests in 2020, I do question whether it's my place to go along to things like this - I don't identify as any of the letters in LGBTQIA+, and I'll never understand what it's like (I noticed lots of the speakers addressed "trans family and LGB/queer cis allies") but hopefully the more people showing their anger and support, the better (obviously there are certain chants etc. it wouldn't be right for cishet people to join in with).

I just feel so sad and angry and deeply sorry that this even needs to happen, and I hate that some of this venomous shit is being perpetuated in the name of so-called "feminism" by fucking fools who think going round asking people if women can have a penis is a useful action for anyone in the world at all, ever. The only johnson that needs banishing from anywhere is the piece of shit in no. 10.

Pinball

This National Lampoon magazine cover from April 1976 seems to summarise the current debate:

evilcommiedictator

Typical American subtlety there I guess? The USSR were pumping all their athletes to the eyeballs with testosterone and steroids and they had fun, right?
https://globalsportmatters.com/health/2019/11/07/ex-east-german-athletes-struggle-with-health-problems-due-to-the-consequences-of-ped-taking/

QuoteNot every athlete suffered equally. For instance, Kristin Otto, who won a record-setting six Olympic gold medals at the 1988 Olympics, said she was the world's "most-tested" swimmer and is unaware of having taken anything illegal. She remains a German television reporter and producer to this day.

"When she claims she cleaned up in Seoul in 1988 without taking anything, then I can only say she didn't win six golds by drinking buttermilk," said fellow GDR swimmer Rica Reinisch, who won three gold medals at the 1980 Olympics.

Inflamed ovaries and menstrual pain pushed Reinisch into retirement the following year at age 16. She subsequently had several miscarriages, which she attributes to steroids.

So it's good now that we've got actual science and testing to make sure trans people can be who they want to be safely (enough medically)

flotemysost

Fellas, is it gay to update your dating app preferences to include "everyone"? (Because I did this recently)

Doesn't sound like a big deal, I know - especially compared with some of the far more urgent stuff discussed in this thread, and I appreciate I'm hugely privileged and I'll never experience even a fraction of what some posters have been through. And it SHOULDN'T be a big deal because, you know, it's 2022, no one should have to "come out", and we all land somewhere on the Kinsey scale anyway. But for some reason I've been feeling incredibly stressed about it - like full on anxiety attacks when I've thought about it over the past few weeks.

I wrote a hugely self-indulgent rambling post a while ago, which mercifully I deleted, but it basically boils down to

- I've sort of always suspected I wasn't completely straight, but never really acknowlegded it/have actively denied it, because it would appear I'm a fucking idiot with lots of internalised homophobia/am a shill for heteronormativity
- Feel nervous that people who don't know about my chaotic (and hitherto actually very straight) dating life will be all "Well she's never had a boyfriend or talked about having a man in her life, OBVIOUSLY the writing was on the wall!", because people are defined by their partners, apparently
- And fuck what those people think, but also, obsessing over what people think of me is just what I do
- Too weird for straight men?
- Too straight for gay girls?
- Most of all just annoyed at myself for being so fixated on gleaning validation from mediocre cishet men for my entire adult life

I'm not even completely sure what I want ('twas ever thus), and maybe I am a big old straight after all (just one who's burnt out from patriarchal heteronormative bollocks - because that shit fucks EVERYONE up, tbf) but I feel increasingly uncomfortable labeling myself as such. (That, and the "keep thinking about getting with other women" bit)

So yeah, I'll see how it goes I guess, if I ever actually muster up the courage to get beyond endlessly complimenting other girls' haircuts/tattoos/cats. Appositely enough, I spotted this earlier today: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/may/25/more-than-one-in-10-young-women-now-identify-lesbian-gay-bisexual-or-other

The bit about mixed race people being the least likely to identify as straight/hetero is really interesting to me - as far as I can tell, the gay in my family runs on my mum's side, going by a few of my cousins (who are also mixed race). I wonder if there's any correlation with already being accustomed to the sense of not fitting a neat definition, or not fulfilling the identity that society has set out for you? Or maybe it's just the latest wheeze from the WOKERATI AGENDA. Which I'm absolutely fine with being part of! :)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 04, 2022, 07:45:59 AMhttps://tribunemag.co.uk/2022/04/dog-day-afternoon-liz-eden-littlejohn-basso-al-pacino-trans-history

Perhaps not entirely on topic but here's an article about the real events that inspired the film Dog Day Afternoon

It's a great film, Pacino's good and Lumet did great work. That and The Panic in Needle Park are probably some of my favourite bits of Pacino work, before he hammed it up.

bgmnts

Honestly to me the notion of orientation has always made little sense because to be heterosexual or homosexual to me implies you could be attracted to anyone so long as they have a vagina or a penis, which just makes no sense. I'm sure every man has fancied a man and every woman has fancied a woman at some point in their lives, either due to how they look or how they feel about them as people.

I know having no orientation would fuck up a lot of people'a hard fought sense of identity so I wouldn't suggest that but yeah I wouldnt say i'm straight or gay or bi or what. If i saw someone and I fancied them, that'd be that.

flotemysost

Thanks bgmnts - I know honestly this stuff doesn't matter, and it obviously doesn't phase me in the slightest re: anyone else - I just can't seem to chill out about it in relation to myself!

I think it's partly the fact that so many people over the years have bluntly asked "So what are you?" - as if my not having shared much/anything about my personal life (in many cases, with people who I don't even know that well, so why would I tell them anyway?!) gives them carte blanche to pry into the particulars of who I might fancy, which in the past made me panic and instinctively go for the most "normal" in the eyes of a society that puts cishet monogamy on a pedestal I mean, of course answer - because for some unfathomable reason I cared what these people thought, I didn't want to be seen as any more "weird" than I undoubtedly already was, and I'm essentially a massive fucking idiot. I know people of all orientations and identities get this grilling and I've benefited HUGELY from cishet privilege here, so I sort of hate myself for being so disingenuous, basically.

But yeah, obviously this is absolute tiddlywinks in the grand scheme of things. CHECK OUT CIS DUNCE

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: bgmnts on May 25, 2022, 11:56:36 PMHonestly to me the notion of orientation has always made little sense because to be heterosexual or homosexual to me implies you could be attracted to anyone so long as they have a vagina or a penis, which just makes no sense. I'm sure every man has fancied a man and every woman has fancied a woman at some point in their lives, either due to how they look or how they feel about them as people.

I know having no orientation would fuck up a lot of people'a hard fought sense of identity so I wouldn't suggest that but yeah I wouldnt say i'm straight or gay or bi or what. If i saw someone and I fancied them, that'd be that.

But you've posted a few times here that you hate all humanity. You're all over the place.

Glebe

Don't stress Flote, you are who you are snd if anyone has a problem with that that's their fucking problem. Hugs in Any case.

bgmnts

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on May 26, 2022, 11:47:45 PMBut you've posted a few times here that you hate all humanity. You're all over the place.

I suppose a part of the reason why I hate humans as a group are these arbitrary classifications that have oppressed people for millenia.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: bgmnts on May 27, 2022, 05:05:31 AMI suppose a part of the reason why I hate humans as a group are these arbitrary classifications that have oppressed people for millenia.

Maybe it's because you know that we all have the capacity to do better.

bgmnts

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 27, 2022, 05:45:06 AMMaybe it's because you know that we all have the capacity to do better.

You'd like to think so. I mean as we speak a huge section of society is treating trans people like they treated gay people 50 years ago. Hard not to be disappointed there.

I think abandoning some of these arbitrary rules and labels would do us good.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: bgmnts on May 27, 2022, 06:38:58 AMYou'd like to think so. I mean as we speak a huge section of society is treating trans people like they treated gay people 50 years ago. Hard not to be disappointed there.

I think abandoning some of these arbitrary rules and labels would do us good.

the biggest disappointment is that some of the people that campaigned against gays and lesbians being treated like that 50 years ago want trans people not to enjoy the same freedoms and rights in the present.

It's a lesson to be vigilant with yourself I suppose.

flotemysost

Quote from: Glebe on May 27, 2022, 04:19:54 AMDon't stress Flote, you are who you are snd if anyone has a problem with that that's their fucking problem. Hugs in Any case.

Aw, cheers Glebe! <3

And yep, totally agree bgmnts and Pink Greg, it's terrifying how willfully fickle people can be in their values. Being vigilant with yourself is absolutely it, I don't think anyone's entirely consistent 100% of the time on any given area, but there's something to be said for looking at yourself and just going "mate" now and then and admitting you may have occasionally fucked up; it's the sheer lack of humility that I find really chilling about these cunts, absolute refusal to consider anyone else's experience (or in many cases, existence).

On another note, has anyone noticed an increase in bonkers evangelical stickers condemning homosexuals, sodomites and the rest to eternal hellfire? Not sure what's prompted it (homophobic monkeypox paranoia?) but I've seen a few on the Tube recently, though hearteningly there's also been lots of trans solidarity stickers round my way of late too.

Mister Six

Pioneering trans comic book writer Rachel Pollack - whose Doom Patrol run rivals Grant Morrison's in my opinion - is in intensive care in New York, according to this fundraiser.

It's unclear what's happened, and of course the comic book "news" sites apparently aren't bothering to ask, but according to the fundraiser "If she is able to go home, she will need 24-hour care."

She's 77, so hopefully it's an age-related thing, and not due to any kind of criminal act. And hopefully she'll make a full recovery, or as close to it as possible. Former Vertigo editor Shelly Bond has contributed, according to the recent donations list, so I assume it's real (plus, GoFundMe ask for all kinds of proof, don't they?).

pigamus

Quote from: bgmnts on May 25, 2022, 11:56:36 PMHonestly to me the notion of orientation has always made little sense

They were obsessed with it at my school. Gimping round the country with their little maps and compasses, I mean who gives a fuck

GoblinAhFuckScary

wishing i knew more trans people irl today. i have some very lovely trans friends in my hometown but it feels i hardly see them!

I'm not completely alone, i have a lot of friends, but I'm proper pining for other people sharing this funny existence

huff huff sigh sigh

Kankurette

Anyone in here like Yeule? They're another trans/NB electronic musician and I'm listening to them right now. They're named after that weird girl out of the Final Fantasy 13 sequel.

Pink Gregory

if they had a record book of their activities you could call it the Yuele Log

PlanktonSideburns

itsfredtitmus

Been referred to a gender clinic after long talk with my gp she was awfully considerate and lovely walked out with a big smile on me face

Pink Gregory

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on September 19, 2022, 12:01:32 PMBeen referred to a gender clinic after long talk with my gp she was awfully considerate and lovely walked out with a big smile on me face

yaaaaaaaaaay

Kankurette

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on September 19, 2022, 12:01:32 PMBeen referred to a gender clinic after long talk with my gp she was awfully considerate and lovely walked out with a big smile on me face
Aww, that's great news!

Dr Rock

GREAT NEWS! X

FalknerHinton

Fantastic news, congratulations!

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on September 19, 2022, 10:10:23 AMAnother Fab NB musician Is AYA

https://youtu.be/ofEX3Wemy5I

ah i love aya. it struck me listening to that first track that they were doing the same vocal-exercises that I've had to do through vocal coaching. i didn't realise they were non binary? i thought they used she/her pronouns. maybe I'm wrong though

get in @itsfredtitmus <3 <3 <3

have you asked your gp if they could provide bridging hormones for the wait? i know that my gp does this

RetroRobot

Brilliant! You make me laugh a lot here, without getting soppy, so I'm chuffed to bits for ya.

Janie Jones

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 19, 2022, 12:50:00 PM...hormones...

This reminds me, I've got a few months worth of unopened HRT, both gel and pills. You're supposed to hand unused meds in to a pharmacy but they just destroy them. I hate waste. Is there any sort of foodbank analog for medicine where I could donate it all to tide over someone on a waiting list or in a country where this stuff is hard to come by? Or is that a stupid idea and it would not be safe, because it has to be prescribed/supervised?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 19, 2022, 12:50:00 PMah i love aya. it struck me listening to that first track that they were doing the same vocal-exercises that I've had to do through vocal coaching. i didn't realise they were non binary? i thought they used she/her pronouns. maybe I'm wrong though

get in @itsfredtitmus <3 <3 <3

have you asked your gp if they could provide bridging hormones for the wait? i know that my gp does this

No sorry your right, I'm wrong about AYA, I assumed they would be on your radar what with the music you do gobs