Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:39:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fuel Protests '22

Started by Blumf, June 16, 2022, 10:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Was wondering when this was going to happen:

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/wolverhampton/2022/06/16/roadblocks-planned-for-west-midlands-motorways-in-protest-at-soaring-fuel-prices/
QuoteRoadblocks planned for West Midlands motorways in protest at soaring fuel prices

Plans are in place to bring the M6 in Walsall 'to a standstill' on Saturday, June 18, whilst another is planned to take place on Monday, July 4 on the M6 Northbound at Junction 3.

Details on the exact time and location of the M6 Walsall protest haven't been confirmed, with it planned to be confirmed on the day.

On July 4, the rolling roadblock which has been organised by the 'Fuel Price Stand Against Tax Group' would see traffic halted to 30mph in lanes one and two of the M6 Northbound at Junction 3 and then back down Southbound.
The 'Fuel Price Stand Against Tax Group' posted in a message on social media: "Joining the m6 Jct 3 northbound at 6:00 on Monday 4th July and creating a 30mph rolling road lock in lanes 1&2 headed northbound for as far as we can get then back down southbound.

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2022-06-14/protestors-plan-to-block-both-severn-bridges-over-ridiculous-fuel-costs
QuoteProtesters plan to block both Severn bridges over 'ridiculous' fuel costs

Protesters plan to block both the M4 and M48 bridges over the River Severn in a campaign to draw attention to rising fuel prices and the impact the hikes in cost are having on people's lives.

The protests, which are likely to be highly disruptive, are planned for Monday, July 4.

Good, honest, working man road blocks, unlike those Marxist student layabout XR ones!

Gurke and Hare

Petrol can't be that expensive if they can afford to waste it like this.

jobotic

This looks bad for Gordon Brown

jamiefairlie

Cor takes you back to the grand old days when the century was new and we had foot and mouth, member that? Lorries parked on the the motorways, member that? The UK bombing  some Arabs, member that?

imitationleather

These fuel prices are why I will never be voting Labour again.

Butchers Blind

These fuel prices are driving me mad.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 17, 2022, 01:00:57 AMThese fuel prices are driving me mad.

My wife got so angry she shoved the steering wheel up my arse.

Now it's driving me nuts!!!

kittens

your nuts are up your arse?

shiftwork2

There's a rural Shell garage I go past that's had both fuels at £1.99 for the last week.  It's not a digital display so I think the only reason it hasn't gone any higher is that they don't have enough 2s.

kittens

here everyone come look at cobb. say it again cobb!! his nuts are up his arse!!!

Pink Gregory

hee hee cobb nuts

that's a real nut

SpiderChrist

katzenjammer

They should get on their bikes to find petrol

Fambo Number Mive

Wonder how much pollution will be caused by traffic stuck in these road blocks. I'm sure that will be fun for local residents.

I do wonder if these protests might have some effect in that the Tories love car drivers and I imagine most Tory voters use cars on a regular basis. Not that I'm defending these protests, and I do wonder why more businesses aren't buying electric vans and cars. Is it more complicated than that?

Paul Calf

Quote from: jamiefairlie on June 17, 2022, 12:49:34 AMCor takes you back to the grand old days when the century was new and we had foot and mouth, member that? Lorries parked on the the motorways, member that? The UK bombing  some Arabs, member that?

Garlic bread?

Paul Calf

The only thing the government can do is reduce tax. They'll probably do it, and sell the motorways to a three-week-old company with directors based in Turks & Caicos.

"ROAD TOLL PROTESTS! BLOCK THE TOLLBOOTHS!

Captain Z

If you say the secret code "1886" to the garageman you get petrol for 5p a litre.

bgmnts

It's so predictable what people will get upset over and what they think is a just reason for action.

Depressingly so.

You can't deny that the best way to save fuel while on the road is to stop your car and turn your engine off.

Blumf

Quote from: Darles Chickens on June 17, 2022, 10:41:44 AMYou can't deny that the best way to save fuel while on the road is to stop your car and turn your engine off.

Freewheeling for the win! The trick is to only use your brakes when you absolutely positively need to.

Also living at the top of a steep hill helps.

Kankurette

So let me get this straight, blocking roads because of environment bad, blocking roads because of fuel prices good?

poo

Driving isn't expensive enough

idunnosomename

Glad these fine men are standing up for us suffering motorists getting #PoundedAtThePumps

dissolute ocelot

French fuel price protestors set fire to cars and threw petrol bombs, which are both good ways to get rid of any surplus fuel you have lying around.

Apparently we should be replacing trucks with cargo bicycles anyway. Maybe the government should retrain all cabbies as rickshaw drivers?

Blumf

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 17, 2022, 11:50:46 AMApparently we should be replacing trucks with cargo bicycles anyway. Maybe the government should retrain all cabbies as rickshaw drivers?

Sedan chairs, have them running HGV loads up and down the country. Bonus, double the number of 'drivers' compared to a rickshaw, solving the unemployment problem.

Brian Freeze

There's supposed to be one affecting the M62, M18 and M1 all in one go on saturday.

Im a bit concerned about wanting to go that way for the father in laws 75th with a car full of kids, a dog and loads of food - not in any particular order of importance. (THE DOG first obviously)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 17, 2022, 11:50:46 AMFrench fuel price protestors set fire to cars and threw petrol bombs, which are both good ways to get rid of any surplus fuel you have lying around.

Apparently we should be replacing trucks with cargo bicycles anyway. Maybe the government should retrain all cabbies as rickshaw drivers?

Has there been any studies on whether cargo bikes push the cost of distribution up significantly? I'm going to assume that it probably does because, well, one van can hold quite a few cargo bikes full.

I'm intrigued, it sounds good but if the costs are inflationary it might well push people into driving to the shops again which unless you're doing huge loads is generally considered worse than getting things delivered.

Mr_Simnock

prices like this though are inevitable for such a finite resource, sooner or later this was going to happen, although yes currently these prices are the result of profiteering from certain companies

Butchers Blind

badaids

These fuel protestors just need to drive up to the peak of their nearest mountain and put the claim slip in the rebate box to get their cheap fuel, plus do a few other tasks to complete, and maybe camp overnight too.