Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:20:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What non-new films have you seen? (2022 edition)

Started by Famous Mortimer, January 01, 2022, 02:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

Quote from: zomgmouse on May 31, 2022, 05:36:54 AMSupermarket. Dirty, bleak German crime film with a disenfranchised youth hopping from place to place on the run. Desperate and grimy, this is very good.

Roland Klick! Interesting film maker. I saw a couple of his films (including that one) in Berlin a couple of years ago. He was in attendance and I asked him
about working with Dennis Hopper and he said there was no improvisation! Anyway see White Star if you haven't already

SteveDave

Jesus Shows You The Way To The Highway

I still can't figure out what this film was.

famethrowa

Quote from: phantom_power on May 31, 2022, 09:00:34 AMWhither Yahoo Serious

One does wonder! An almost total recluse since hitting it big in the 90s, but he seems to live in a very fancy suburb of Sydney (pretty much Summer Bay). Maybe he just took the VHS millions and lived the quiet life.

phantom_power

Quote from: SteveDave on May 31, 2022, 09:27:38 AMJesus Shows You The Way To The Highway

It is an odd one isn't it. Some great ideas and inventive plot but almost like The Room in terms of showing how humans talk and behave. It stuck with me though so credit due for that

Sebastian Cobb

Last night I watched a budget 2020 comedy/horror called Save Yourselves. It's a fairly pedestrian plot really, a millennial couple go to a remote ranch to have a bit of time off-grid and bond only for them to find out weird fluffy aliens they dubbed 'pouffes' are attacking New York.

It wasn't anything special but wasn't bad either, kind of a good lazy Sunday hangover film.

zomgmouse

Quote from: samadriel on May 31, 2022, 08:00:06 AMI thought Babyteeth was pretty damn good,  although it suffers a bit from the context of every single Australian film from the past 20 years being depressing dirges.

i think for me it just tried to stuff every bit of social issue into itself and also the age gap thing was a bit weird and unaddressed...

Quote from: the science eel on May 31, 2022, 09:04:45 AMRoland Klick! Interesting film maker. I saw a couple of his films (including that one) in Berlin a couple of years ago. He was in attendance and I asked him
about working with Dennis Hopper and he said there was no improvisation! Anyway see White Star if you haven't already

that one is on my list! i saw his Jimmy Orpheus on MUBI recentlyish, last year I think. enjoyed it. what a cool thing it must have been to have spoken to him! bet he had a lot of insights, his style is so guerrilla-like

Quote from: famethrowa on May 31, 2022, 10:02:02 AMOne does wonder! An almost total recluse since hitting it big in the 90s, but he seems to live in a very fancy suburb of Sydney (pretty much Summer Bay). Maybe he just took the VHS millions and lived the quite life.

he also tried to sue Yahoo and lost

Quote from: SteveDave on May 31, 2022, 09:27:38 AMJesus Shows You The Way To The Highway

check out Crumbs if you haven't already, same director-lead pairing and similarly densely odd, these films feel like mental quicksand

Sebastian Cobb

I think I might've seen the shittest film I've seen in a long time tonight.

It seems to go by two names Beacon 77 and The 7th Dimension.
QuoteTwo young women arrive at a curious penthouse apartment, led by one's crush on her tutor. However, her love interest doesn't live alone. He's part of a trio of computer hackers about to embark on the ultimate job on the world's most mysterious mainframe. Whilst doing so, they unlock more than they bargain for with supernatural and ultimately fatal results. Can this seemingly insignificant chain of events, which have thrown this group together, be construed as fate? Can the beacon provide a signal of hope or is it a web of manipulation, paranoia and ultimately... murder?

It was power shit. Ropey acting, ropey dialogue, ropey everything.

Famous Mortimer

I Was A Teenage Mummy

Apparently from 1962, made by a 21 year-old Ralph Bluemke, who'd go on to make a couple of other movies in the 1970s. But the copyright on the video is 1988, and the narration is just chocka with references to things that were around in the late 80s but not the early 60s. It looks awfully good to have been made on cheap camera equipment by inexperienced kids, too.

It's a bunch of kids running round some scrubland, pretending it's Egypt. Could be charming, if the unfunny narration didn't spoil it. Also, there's a ten minute intro and fifteen minute outro from Forrest J Ackerman, editor of "Famous Monsters Of Filmland" and confirmed sexual predator (despite it currently having been removed from his Wikipedia page, several of his victims named and shamed him a couple of years ago).

Famous Mortimer

Terminal City Ricochet

Struggling to sum it up in a handy phrase, but it's like a punk movie, set in a dystopia where people are actively trying to make it worse. Kind of a comedy, in a way that people could get away with in the 1990s because we hadn't been plunged fully into the era of endless war and demagogues winning elections. "Repo Man" directed by Terry Gilliam if he weren't an asshole.

Jello Biafra is in it, as the mercenary sidekick to the Mayor of Terminal City; feeling like he's from a different movie is a middle-aged former star ice hockey player, believed dead but just an amnesiac due to a puck to the noggin. Space junk is falling from the sky and the people in charge just deny it's happening. All the TVs have a button where you can just buy the thing that's being talked about.

It's a little on the nose, and too long (1:47), but the only way it's aged badly is in its belief that people will immediately change their minds if presented with the truth. But, it's still really interesting and worth a watch.

zomgmouse

Mother Night. Adaptation of the Vonnegut novel. Mostly suffers from being a bit too beholden to the narrative above anything else, and so it remains rather faithful to both the plot and the message, but it feels a little bit distanced as a result. However there's still much to think about and several lovely moments. A great cast is assembled, with Nick Nolte as the lead, and Sheryl Lee, Alan Arkin, Kirsten Dunst and
Spoiler alert
John Goodman (who I'm only spoilering because I think he's not in the opening credits and it was a pleasant shock to see him appear in the role of a really really undercover agent
[close]
in supporting roles. Basically follows an American playwright who gets asked by US Intelligence to infiltrate the Nazis as a broadcaster while secretly disseminating coded information - however no one knows he is doing this. It raises some interesting questions (thanks entirely to the source material, to be fair) about authenticity and while it was an ok film it stridently hammered into me why I love Vonnegut and made me want to revisit the book.

sevendaughters

rjd2

The Souvenir II -- " Mummy can I have 10k to make my bag of wank pretentious art film"  1/5

An abysmal sequel where the privilege of everyone involved is overwhelming. Their is a scene where our lead cries when the Berlin wall comes down which I suppose is meant to be profound, but I had lost the will to live by then. Odd, as the 1st while nothing special was passable enough , the lack of Burke for obvious reasons a big loss sadly.

MS 45 ...4/5

A seamstress goes on an violent rampage after been raped twice. Its 40 years old, but its still a thrilling film and Zoe Lund is captivating as our lead who simply wants to be left alone.

Lacombe Luiene 4/5

A bored French teen tries to join the resistance but is rejected to joins the Gestapo instead and quickly falls in love with a Jewish lady. French collaboration with the Nazis is always an interesting and obviously bleak subject so this is pretty good.

It doesn't pass judgement and its a compelling account of why such a lost kid would become a collaborator.

Famous Mortimer

Sex And The Single Alien

The 1993 version, not the 2015 movie from the same director that appears to be entirely different despite having the same name. For a movie about a bloke who's given the power by aliens to make women orgasm with his mind, it's kind of sweet? His best friend goes to a great deal of trouble to help him cheat on his wife, but only because she's more interested in UFOs than sex.

Obviously, trash, and women are dealt a pretty poor hand by it, but still. Perhaps my ability to enjoy good cinema has completely gone, and this is all I have now.

famethrowa

Taxi Driver (1976). Of course it's marvelous, complex and ambiguous and dreamlike; but also accessible and relatable. Deservedly one of the greats. But I'm here to comment on the music score, it's just wrong for the whole thing. Bernard Herrmann did great things for Hitchcock in the 50s and 60s, and obviously a young Scorcese would be in thrall to that, but it doesn't suit mid-70s Noo York at all. It's the music of sophisticated men in suits and rich intrigue, not the pimps and lowlifes on struggle street. I'm not suggesting the whole thing should have been bathed in wah-wah guitar and Rhodes piano, but get with the times, boys! It ends up sounding too much like Police Squad for mine. Good film though.

sevendaughters

Quote from: rjd2 on June 03, 2022, 01:46:22 PMThe Souvenir II -- " Mummy can I have 10k to make my bag of wank pretentious art film"  1/5

An abysmal sequel where the privilege of everyone involved is overwhelming. Their is a scene where our lead cries when the Berlin wall comes down which I suppose is meant to be profound, but I had lost the will to live by then. Odd, as the 1st while nothing special was passable enough , the lack of Burke for obvious reasons a big loss sadly.

MS 45 ...4/5

A seamstress goes on an violent rampage after been raped twice. Its 40 years old, but its still a thrilling film and Zoe Lund is captivating as our lead who simply wants to be left alone.

Dunno how I felt about The Souvenir II actually. I liked the first one - it grew in my mind as I left it, and I found that it was saying something that I could grasp through the thicket of poncing and privilege. No Burke definitely hurts the sequel as the narrative becomes chasing a ghost, which might be emotionally real to Hogg but isn't necessarily great for us punters. I also think the bit where when she watches her own film and to us it becomes a Powell & Pressburger pastiche works well to pay off a conversation had in the first film, but I don't think it really takes me into those memories and feelings in the powerful way I and presumably Hogg hoped.

That said, I did actually respond to the whole conversation the film is having about trying to make art a certain way when you're damaged and there's a whole load of competent non-traumatised people there saying THAT'S NOT HOW YOU DO IT. Like, how do you justify that in words? There's a weird shot where Julie is having a chat with her mum and there's clearly a deliberate bit of framing with a car on the drive taking up far more screen space than normal. How do you go to bat for that idea without sounding like a spanner?

Lastly I thought Ayoade was excellent in it.

Loved Ms 45. Great film.

sevendaughters

Quote from: famethrowa on June 03, 2022, 03:04:41 PMTaxi Driver (1976). Of course it's marvelous, complex and ambiguous and dreamlike; but also accessible and relatable. Deservedly one of the greats. But I'm here to comment on the music score, it's just wrong for the whole thing. Bernard Herrmann did great things for Hitchcock in the 50s and 60s, and obviously a young Scorcese would be in thrall to that, but it doesn't suit mid-70s Noo York at all. It's the music of sophisticated men in suits and rich intrigue, not the pimps and lowlifes on struggle street. I'm not suggesting the whole thing should have been bathed in wah-wah guitar and Rhodes piano, but get with the times, boys! It ends up sounding too much like Police Squad for mine. Good film though.

Ooooooh I loooove the soundtrack to Taxi Driver! They possibly overplay the love/delusion theme for my liking though. The really martial sounding piece that opens is amazing. Hermann is a genius, maybe the best to do it since the golden age.

Menu

Quote from: famethrowa on June 03, 2022, 03:04:41 PMTaxi Driver (1976). Of course it's marvelous, complex and ambiguous and dreamlike; but also accessible and relatable. Deservedly one of the greats. But I'm here to comment on the music score, it's just wrong for the whole thing. Bernard Herrmann did great things for Hitchcock in the 50s and 60s, and obviously a young Scorcese would be in thrall to that, but it doesn't suit mid-70s Noo York at all. It's the music of sophisticated men in suits and rich intrigue, not the pimps and lowlifes on struggle street. I'm not suggesting the whole thing should have been bathed in wah-wah guitar and Rhodes piano, but get with the times, boys! It ends up sounding too much like Police Squad for mine. Good film though.

That's a really interesting take, I've not heard anyone criticise it before. I think you're wrong but maybe that's because I'm so used to it and it so easily now evokes the feelings of dread and confusion that the film as a whole does. Hmmm. Would love to hear what other composers would have done with it. And yes those drums are one of the best parts. They almost act as a warning of what's to come.

I still think the film is Scorsese's best work, and more dreamlike and ambiguous than anything else he has done. I haven't seen Bringing Out The Dead in ages though and I think that was along the same lines.

Menu

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 03, 2022, 09:59:41 AMThe Master (2012, PT Anderson). Very dull.

Yes it was pretty interminable - almost literally - when I saw it in the cinema but it's probably worth a rewatch. I've loved everything else he's done, and I'm frequently wrong on first views.

Famous Mortimer

Fireballs

From that brief period where Canadians made a bunch of sex comedies based on American templates. This is kind of a Police Academy thing, but for firefighters, and much sloppier.

I was trying to think of something else to say about it, but that pretty much tells you everything you need to know.

willbo

I haven't seen TD for years, but I remember BH's music vividly. I thought it just sounded sad. Anyway, jazz would have been the music of urban black people, I thought. Like a few decades before but it still evokes that world.

willbo

I skimmed through "sailor who fell from grace" on youtube last night, the 70s film which adapts the Mishima novel from Japan to Devon. Pretty shocking. The main "bad kid" was like a cross between Lord of the Flies and the Star Wars Emperor, and I never expected to see a masturbation scene in a 70s mainstream film.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 03, 2022, 02:31:44 PMmy ability to enjoy good cinema has completely gone, and this is all I have now.
I've kind of fallen into this trap, finding it hard to sincerely watch films.  For example, I got distracted by a film the other day because a policeman put his feet up and you could see the soles of his shoes, which were brand new, no scuff marks or anything.  My brain was like 'those shoes should have scuff marks on them, police are walking around all day, they've obviously just been pulled out of the box and the continuity person is making sure they don't get marked' etc etc.  Fuck knows what else was happening in the scene, I was just annoyed about the shoes.

I don't know why I watch movies I know that are bad, maybe because I don't feel so bad when I inevitably start nitpicking the shit out of it.

Watched Taxi Driver semi-recently, didn't really notice the soundtrack as out of place or whatever.  Loved how stark and OTT the shootout during the rescue is.

Sebastian Cobb

X - A24 period horror good fun slasher horror, kept me entertained.

Mr Klien - French period film set in the nazi occupation of France, a gentile (Alain Delon) has had one of two Jewish people with his name attempt to trade places with him on paper so he gets apprehended by the authorities and he's trying to track them down and figure out what's going on.

Interzone - a low-budget Italian post apocalyptic drama, kind of like a rip off of Mad Max in some ways but the Interzone is protected by people who communicate telepathically, they also maintain a vault of treasures from before the apocalypse and are named after stuff in there, one of the main guys that trains the hero is called Panasonic. It's a mad little b-movie. Doesn't look like it's had a proper release at any point so the best you can get is a standard def transfer on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2YOTkQV6KA

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Menu on June 04, 2022, 01:59:05 AMYes it was pretty interminable - almost literally - when I saw it in the cinema but it's probably worth a rewatch. I've loved everything else he's done, and I'm frequently wrong on first views.

I enjoyed it thinking of it as an unofficial Elrond Hubbard story, but without that background context it would have felt like people pissing about for ages

Not much of a film if you've gotta know all this stuff going in is it? Compared to something like punch drunk love or phantom thread where it's a pure cinematic kick in the balls

sevendaughters

saw Bresson's Pickpocket at the cinema today which remains a masterpiece. watched Loulou (1980, Pialat) last night which has Depardieu in good form as a petty criminal and randy sexman fooling around with a bored Isabelle Huppert. was good! French cinema, novel opinion, is pretty great!

Small Man Big Horse

Carnival Of Souls (1962)- Slow burning thriller where after a car accident a young church organist moves to a new town but keeps on hallucinating. There's lots of memorable imagery and some nice ideas, but it stretches its premise a little too thinly, and the ending wasn't exactly a shock. 7.3/10

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 04, 2022, 08:33:58 PMCarnival Of Souls (1962)- Slow burning thriller where after a car accident a young church organist moves to a new town but keeps on hallucinating. There's lots of memorable imagery and some nice ideas, but it stretches its premise a little too thinly, and the ending wasn't exactly a shock. 7.3/10

I really like this one. Tiny budget smashes it's way out. Strong female lead in amongst some quite dated tropes.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 04, 2022, 08:58:11 PMI really like this one. Tiny budget smashes it's way out. Strong female lead in amongst some quite dated tropes.

There were parts I loved, and some sequences were really well done (
Spoiler alert
especially the scenes where suddenly no one responds to her
[close]
), and what it has to say about shitty male behaviour is strong, I just thought it lost its way a bit towards the end,
Spoiler alert
and that scene where there's suddenly about ten walking dead made me laugh out loud rather than disturbing me, while the "Oh, she was dead all along" felt like a bit of a cop out
[close]
. I was horribly tired while watching it though, and might have liked it even more on a different day...

Sebastian Cobb

I've seen it at least once in a cinema and the bit that always gets laughs is

Spoiler alert
Her lying on an actual couch talking to the doctor about how she feels and him responding with 'well, I'm no psychologist...'
[close]

I don't think the lead actress did much else and I think that's a massive shame, she was great.