Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:52:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hair in the time of Corona [merged]

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, March 18, 2020, 03:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

My girlfriend called me a "scruffy cunt" when we had a Zoom chat yesterday, as an allusion to my shit beard and even shitter hair.

Two points:
1. Bit harsh
2. I seem to have had an effect on her vocabulary

Egyptian Feast

I'm getting to the stage where it looks like the hairstyles of 1970s male catalogue models, the ones that look like they have an odd-shaped lump of shit sitting on their head. It gets really puffy at the sides after a couple of months, so it's sticking out all over the place. I haven't had it this long since 1997 and I'm warming to the idea of just letting it grow, but it all depends on how shit it looks when it gets past the collar.

Ferris

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 23, 2020, 07:03:08 PM
My girlfriend called me a "scruffy cunt" when we had a Zoom chat yesterday, as an allusion to my shit beard and even shitter hair.
On the same lines, I mentioned to my other half on a Skype call the other day that I was looking a bit "Shaggy Rogers", to which she had no idea of what I was talking about. Anyways, she now thinks Scooby Doo is hilarious and that "you walk like him too!"

In my defense, I don't wear flares.

DrGreggles

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 23, 2020, 08:39:51 PM
On the same lines, I mentioned to my other half on a Skype call the other day that I was looking a bit "Shaggy Rogers", to which she had no idea of what I was talking about. Anyways, she now thinks Scooby Doo is hilarious and that "you walk like him too!"

In my defense, I don't wear flares.

It was my turn to do the Monday night quiz this week, and I did a round about famous people's real names - and Shaggy made the cut!

Dex Sawash

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 23, 2020, 09:25:22 PM
It was my turn to do the Monday night quiz this week, and I did a round about famous people's real names - and Shaggy made the cut!

What is his name?

Dex Sawash

OK, 9 more to come up with by Friday

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

I've seen plenty of murmurings that many hairdressers will be increasing their prices once they reopen, supposedly to cover the cost of visors and extra cleaning. Haircuts are overpriced as it is, I might have to keep at the home haircuts forever. I was already fed up of paying forty quid for "a bit off the ends" every six weeks.

Haircuts are expensive and yet hairdressers are some of the lowest-paid of all workers. This is also despite the fact that most of them pay for their own training and provide their own (very expensive) tools. Where does all the money go? Is it diverted to a shadowy cabal of salon owners, and can we call them Big Hair?

shiftwork2

I have an appointment!  18th July but, you know, it's on its way.

I've completely curled up at the back and now my fringe is curling too.  It's basically the hair of a lunatic.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 25, 2020, 01:56:19 PM
Where does all the money go?

Protection rackets.  Well isn't that a nice pair of clippers...shame if something was to happen to them.

Blue Jam

Surely now would be a great time for the return of the freelance hairdresser? The ones who go round to people's houses with their scissors and cut their hair in their kitchen with some newspaper on the floor? Do those still exist? It seems they could charge less and still earn more than a hairdresser working at a salon.

shiftwork2

Mobile hairdressers have been doing well, according to a friend.  Done in the garden.  It seems to fit - it's only a minority of people who look like they haven't had some attention in the last three months and those can't all have been done by partners watching a YouTube video.

Sebastian Cobb

I actually like having longer hair. It's there a proper way to tell a hairdresser you want them to 'sort it out' but keep it about the same length, and maybe have a go at making my sideburns 'less pubey' while they're at it?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 25, 2020, 03:13:20 PM
I actually like having longer hair. It's there a proper way to tell a hairdresser you want them to 'sort it out' but keep it about the same length, and maybe have a go at making my sideburns 'less pubey' while they're at it?

I always ask hairdressers to "just take the weight out of it" and "tidy it up a bit" if I want to keep the length.

Or as one hairdresser put it, "I'll just make the shape a bit less bulbous".

I have bulbous hair right now, it's kind of mushrooming out at the ends. Will have to get the scissors out and the newspaper on the floor soon.

Blue Jam

Second lockdown self-haircut: Done. I have successfully reduced my hair's bulbosity and escaped with only one small cut to my left thumb.

Blue Jam

Been seeing lots of lockdown manbuns about.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 26, 2020, 12:01:21 AM

And me, the idiots. Why haven't they done a mohawk like what I've achieved?

A depressing number of people have done the "#3 all over" which to me speaks to a paucity of imagination. It's lockdown! Anything goes!

I was on a zoom call with someone who cut their hair super short and dyed it red, and while I'm not 15 so think this looks daft, I do at least respect the "fuck yeah lockdown!" approach.

Attila

Most of the men in my dept have given up, and gone for the buzz-cut solution. I've got a few fun fringe-lets I've been clipping in for various Teams meetings (sometimes changing them out during breaks, to see if anyone notices that I've gone from a brown to a blonde fringe during a 10 minute break).  I've just been hitting up semi-permanent hairdye (and like Blue Jam have been seriously thinking of sacking off salon trims -- the one here charges me like £20 just for a quick dry-trim of the ends), and two of my female colleagues have let their hair go all pre-Raphaelite free.

One female colleague has suspiciously well-kept hair, though, considering how hhigh-maintenence her usual 'do is.

steveh

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 25, 2020, 01:56:19 PM
Where does all the money go?

Rent. At the place I go to more than a third goes to the landlords and they have tripled the rent in the past ten years.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 26, 2020, 12:01:21 AM

I tried this when bored and fiddling with an elastic band. Only it ended up being less of a full bun and more like this.

Blue Jam

Hairdressing was supposed to be one of the great recession-proof industries but now I'm wondering if a lot of people will just sack off salon cuts and go along the DIY route even when the salons reopen. A lot of people who didn't own clippers or proper hairdressing scissors do own them now and have had acceptable results with them, I can see a lot of people not wanting to fork out for a professional cut every month.

Sebastian Cobb

It'll probably be a passing fad as people eventually get lazy and go back to the barbers.

I wonder how this has affected business. I know a lot of places have people owning the shop, and the hairdressers pay rent for their stand, and they're self-employed, with the haircut cash going to them.

Which makes me wonder who in that relationship will be out of pocket and who will suffer as things reopen.

Blue Jam

Tomorrow I'm going for my first salon haircut in 18 months. I had decided to sack off salon haircuts but have caved in as I am struggling to keep on top of my massive and unruly barnet. Been using proper hairdressing shears purchased from a proper hairdressing supplies place and thought I'd been doing alright with them but tomorrow a pro will be the judge of that. Right, this should be fucking embarrassing...

Sebastian Cobb

Still aint had a haircut and my hair now makes me look like a disheveled 'Evil Coop'.

Quite like it tbh and just want a tidy up. Now it has gotten longer to the point most of it falls behind the shoulders it doesn't seem to get in my way or fall in front of my eyes so much. Or maybe I've got used to it.

Ferris

Still going 3mm up the sides, long on top. Loving it.

Sebastian Cobb

non capisco

After years of hating going to the hairdressers due to utterly stupid deep rooted self-loathing issues where I didn't want to sit looking at my own face for an extended period I've finally found one I like, Galv's in Croydon. He's a music obsessive and you can bollock on to him about how underrated the third album by The Beat is, 'International Beat Service', and he actually knows what you're on about. Sitting there looking at my stupid fizzog in the mirror and hating every second has ceased to be a problem. The time breezes past. Cheers, Galv!

Sebastian Cobb

Kept going to an oaf just because his banter made the process enjoyable rather than a chore.