Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:45:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hair in the time of Corona [merged]

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, March 18, 2020, 03:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: non capisco on July 23, 2021, 01:28:45 AM
After years of hating going to the hairdressers due to utterly stupid deep rooted self-loathing issues where I didn't want to sit looking at my own face for an extended period I've finally found one I like, Galv's in Croydon. He's a music obsessive and you can bollock on to him about how underrated the third album by The Beat is, 'International Beat Service', and he actually knows what you're on about. Sitting there looking at my stupid fizzog in the mirror and hating every second has ceased to be a problem. The time breezes past. Cheers, Galv!

I used to have a middle-aged Thai lady in Toronto I went to and it was the first time I'd felt comfortable getting the barnet sorted because she was incredibly rude, but also very affable and funny and the whole process felt about right.

She'd tell you she hated the english (and ask your name, and say it was very English[nb]it isn't[/nb] and she hated it) but she would at least converse with you as an equal. Now, I was terrified of her and wouldn't dare say anything about her name (don't know it) but I bet if I said it was shit she'd laugh and it'd be fine.

Now it's just 3mm up the sides, wife does the top when it becomes unmanageable, comb it back for a mohawk/mullet crossover but mostly to one side like a trendy twat though I usually hide it under a baseball cap so it's alright.

Blue Jam

Never understood how some people would rather go to the dentist than the hairdresser. Alright, I'm the kind of person who'll chat with anyone but I find hairdressers are generally nice people. For some reason they really, really like talking about holidays but that's fine by me, I like talking about holidays too.

The only bit I find awkward is tipping. Paying by card and trying to discreetly hand a note over. It's better when the hairdresser takes you to the till and someone else takes the payment and you can tell them to put it in their tip box, that's the best way. Yesterday was a bit awkward because the card machine wouldn't let me add a tip and they couldn't accept cash, all I could do was apologise and stress that I was really thankful. Arrgghh.

Was a bit relieved when the hairdresser rated my year of home hatchet jobs and declared that I hadn't done a bad job at all and she in fact wouldn't have to cut a metre off to fix the damage. Got away with losing about two inches off the ends. Also lost £44 but it was worth it, feel human again now.

mobias

I haven't had my hair cut since before March 2020 lockdown and I now I look like Geddy Lee from Rush. As a result of this I've started listening to Rush in a big way. If you've got the look you might as well go the rest of the way I say.

flotemysost

I go to an Italian hairdresser and there's no small talk, but most importantly they really listen to what you want, take stock of your hair type and choose a style that'll realistically work for you (surprisingly hard to find people who can do this with naturally wavy/curly hair).

They also give amazing head massages as part of the deal, when I went earlier this year I had to suppress the fact that it was probably the most pleasurable physical contact I'd had from another human in a while.

I've weathered a few dodgy (self-inflicted) DIY colour jobs recently - currently got kind of butterscotch highlights which aren't too bad, but in this weather it quickly gets limp and greasy and ends up looking a bit Grealish.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 23, 2021, 02:10:14 AM
I used to have a middle-aged Thai lady in Toronto I went to and it was the first time I'd felt comfortable getting the barnet sorted because she was incredibly rude, but also very affable and funny and the whole process felt about right.

She'd tell you she hated the english (and ask your name, and say it was very English[nb]it isn't[/nb] and she hated it) but she would at least converse with you as an equal. Now, I was terrified of her and wouldn't dare say anything about her name (don't know it) but I bet if I said it was shit she'd laugh and it'd be fine.

She sounds great.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: non capisco on July 23, 2021, 01:28:45 AM
After years of hating going to the hairdressers due to utterly stupid deep rooted self-loathing issues where I didn't want to sit looking at my own face for an extended period I've finally found one I like, Galv's in Croydon. He's a music obsessive and you can bollock on to him about how underrated the third album by The Beat is, 'International Beat Service', and he actually knows what you're on about. Sitting there looking at my stupid fizzog in the mirror and hating every second has ceased to be a problem. The time breezes past. Cheers, Galv!
And polite enough to not correct you that the album is called 'Special Beat Service' - unlike me, but that's because I'm a right obnoxious wanker.

non capisco

Ha ha, course it is, fuck's sake. Dunno why I typed that brainfart, presumably because there's an aeroplane on the front.

You know, The Beat? They had that song 'Mirror In The Toilet'. Did that cover of 'Tracks Of My Tears'. You must know them. Rockin Roger and the boys.