Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:34:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Medals for emergency service staff

Started by Fambo Number Mive, September 26, 2021, 01:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

But no pay rises.

QuoteAbout 400,000 medals commemorating the Queen's 70-year reign will be given out to frontline workers.

Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries said the medals, for the Platinum Jubilee, was a fitting tribute to emergency workers and other recipients.

The medals will be awarded to living recipients of the Victoria and George Crosses and also members of the prison services and Armed Forces.

Worcestershire Medal Service said the commission has helped create jobs.

So a piece of metal celebrating the Queen is a fitting tribute to risking your life during the pandemic but a pay rise isn't?

I wonder how much these medals cost. It's Victorian bullshit - "Here, have this metal disc celebrating the Queen - not you, peasant, the Queen - and no, you can't exchange it for food."

I like how the company that makes the medals is defending them - of course they are going to be positive about them. If I commission 800 placards with "Bumholes" on them it would help create jobs but it wouldn't be a good use of public money.

What next? Nurses being given paintings of Captain Tom instead of a proper pay rise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-58690666

bgmnts

If you think about it, it probably is a fitting tribute when you consider what those institutions represent.