Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:47:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone reckon they had it before it went all mainstream?

Started by wooders1978, October 17, 2021, 04:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

99.99999recurring% sure I had it - had a cold in September 2019 that never really went away, and a couple of weeks before christmas developed breathing difficulties on a Friday that got increasingly worse to the point where we had to call out the paramedics on the Sunday night, where they measured my oxygen saturation level as down in the 30s (anything below 80 is considered as low, 95 and above is normal).  Was strapped to up to a big bastard salbutamol tank for half an hour and an appointment with the docs arranged first thing the next morning, but no one really knew anything about covid then so I was judged okay to stay at home after my oxygen saturation went back up to 90-odd.  The doc diagnosed pneumonia and arranged for a chest x-ray, which showed physical scarring in both lungs (even I could see it with my untrained eye).  Then developed asthma - or what I was originally told was asthma, but they've since decided it isn't asthma even though I still have breathing difficulties without an inhaler (Fostair Next powder - great stuff) and it probably is asthma.  Still waiting to hear about an MRI.

Subsequent chats with numerous docs and they've all said "yeah, you probs had covid", but by the time it was a known thing over here and they'd worked out the anti-bodies test it was way too late.

Couple of years prior to that, I contracted proper flu with which I also had infection in both ears, which left permanent hearing damage in one of them.  I only mention that as another thing that left a permanent mark on me.

COVID!

Uncle TechTip

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on October 20, 2021, 04:56:07 PM
Are you sure you didn't just go out with wet hair?

Definitely.  But, now you mention it, I didn't wear a coat...

mothman

Quote from: Buelligan on October 20, 2021, 12:42:36 PM
If it helps at all, since having it I've had this horrible restricted lung feeling every night when I lie down to go to sleep.  Also had some heart flutters.  I've been walking a lot and trying to build lung capacity through gentle climbing.  After more than a year, the heart thing's stopped (heh) and so's the lung thing (almost completely) but it was pretty horrible to think that I might have to go the rest of my life like that.  Also, extremely sadly, there are people who were here who aren't any longer.  I had one particular friend whose leaving was very much to do with the pandemic, so, you know. 

I only mention it because it's very easy to take silence for lack of evidence when that might not be the whole story.
Good point, thanks B. Sorry to hear it's been affecting you so badly.

Reading my last para back there, I wonder if it could be misconstrued. Certainly I've been wondering if Captain Z's post was some kind of dig at what I said. Obviously it'd be great if people didn't catch it at all. But if anyone were to, I think one would wish them to have a speedy recovery hopefully with as few symptoms and no after-effects, long term or otherwise, as possible.

Zetetic

If you mean my post: No, not a reaction to anyone in particular. Completely impersonal, undirected and - really - (as shiftwork2 post outlines) pretty unreasonable on my part.

mothman

Not at all Zete, I thought I'd been clear it was Captain Z I *thought* might be reacting to one of my posts. I've gone back and looked at your posts, there's nothing there I take issues with.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I had a very bad sinus infection in January 2020 that recurred again in February 2020 and I did wonder on and off during lockdown if the "sinus infection" was in fact the 'VID. But looking back now I'm pretty sure it wasn't. It stayed in the sinuses and I never noticed any loss of taste (I did lose smell for a bit, but that was because I was so bunged up that I once blew my nose for a good twenty minutes because the gunge just kept coming). Still, not pleasant, and the first time I'd ever had an illness go away for a bit and then come back.

Alberon

When I thought I might have had COVID back in January or February 2020 (but almost certainly didn't) I had a persistent cough that lasted a week.

The reason I'm typing this at half past one in the morning is I've got it again (currently on day five). Lateral Flow tests are saying "Fuck off, it ain't Covid" and I believe them, but I can't sleep more than a couple of hours at a time.

Alberon

Quote from: Alberon on October 17, 2021, 08:10:12 PM
There was a spate of severe colds that went around the office in my university in January and February 2020 and we do have a fairly high number of Chinese students. We wondered a fair bit in the early months if we'd had it.

But then one of us who came down with it definitely caught Covid back in early 2021 and still has Long Covid symptoms to this day.

So probably nothing to do with the Pandemic after all.

I was always dubious about whether I had it back then, but over the last week I had the same thing again. Persistent hacking cough, but both lateral flow and PCR tests came back negative. So it looks almost certain that I've never had it.

Jittlebags

First week of Feb 2020. Went to a potato day at Harper Adams University, just as the first few cases were appearing the in UK. The old biddies also attending throwing disapprvoing glances towards some of the masked Chinese students popping in for a look to see what was going on. Was doing some throat clearing, and spitting in the bog when I noticed a bit of blood. As the event went on getting the feeling I was coming down with something. A lot of uncontrollable coughing on the way home in the car. Two days flat out in bed with fever, with non stop fevery thoughts rolling round and round my head. A bottle of Evian by my bed smelled and tasted like raw sewage (not that I've tasted raw sewage) Finally getting up, a good solid dump and a shower, and I was almost back to normal. Interestingly I then had a couple of cold sores and my psoriasis subsided for a few weeks, so my immune system had been in a fight. A few days later, a trip to the pub for a pint of lager, which tasted like sulphur.  Mrs J then caught it, went through the 2 day bed stage, then up for a couple of days before succumbiong to what must have been borderline pneumonia over the next few days. Apparantly a couple of people at work also had similar. My boss had recently come back from Japan, but I think Japan was clear at that point.