Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:28:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New variant from South Africa

Started by shoulders, November 25, 2021, 03:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Went to Tesco yesterday, saw about half a dozen people in the store breaking the law by not wearing masks. I deliberately went at a quiet time, so this was at least 20-30% of the people I saw. Also no hand sanitiser at the door, despite having had an email from Tesco a couple of days ago claiming this is still one of the measures they're taking.

MojoJojo

I'm sort of clinging to the hope that the omnicron variant isn't that bad, and the government are bigging it up so they can bring back masks and restrictions without having to admit they should have done it earlier.

There's no real evidence that omnicron is particularly bad, just some reasons to think it might be.

Milo

I'm hoping it looks like getting bad enough to trigger a precautionary lockdown two weeks before Christmas that turns out to have been unnecessary. That'd suit me nicely.

olliebean

Quote from: Milo on December 02, 2021, 01:03:03 PMI'm hoping it looks like getting bad enough to trigger a precautionary lockdown two weeks before Christmas that turns out to have been unnecessary. That'd suit me nicely.

Not me. My housemate visits her parents for a couple of weeks over Christmas, and I get the house to myself and no need to even think about Christmas, and I'm dreading a lockdown being triggered in time to prevent this period of respite.

Ferris

Dex Sawash

steveh

Very early data suggesting Omicron is perhaps 60% as infectious / transmissible as Delta but the likelihood of reinfection is around 3 times that of Alpha or Delta. Might not outcompete Delta among the unvaccinated but could among the vaccinated?

Omicron could also still acquire the mutations needed for increased transmission, which the past has shown are easier for variants to acquire than those connected with immune evasion.

bgmnts

Omicron has officially hit Wales which makes it significant now.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on December 04, 2021, 11:28:38 PMOmicron has officially hit Wales which makes it significant now.

Finally put the place on the map. Great news.

shoulders

Pretty sure Czechia, Hungary, Poland heading for something close to full lockdown in a few weeks. Not sure about Germany yet, I reckon they might try and ride out higher death numbers this time and blame the unvaccinated.

poo

This variant is fucking useless. Christmas is still on.

Ferris

Q: is this the one that puts us all in our graves?

Ans: no because there will be no one left alive to bury us.

mothman

Can easily be rebranded as Omega.

Ferris

Quote from: Ferris on December 06, 2021, 12:15:59 PMQ: is this the one that puts us all in our graves?

Ans: no because there will be no one left alive to bury us.

For clarity - I don't think this gag is realistic (in fact, probably the opposite) but I thought it up while out for a walk and it made me chuckle so now you're all stuck with it.

Quote from: Better Midlands on December 03, 2021, 10:15:32 PMSteps Superspread Scotland

How many deaths does this need to be responsible for in order for "H" to finally be declared the worst Ian Watkins?

olliebean

There seems to be quite a lot of people, including some politicians and medical people, who are calling it "Omnicron."

shoulders

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on December 06, 2021, 04:56:00 PMHow many deaths does this need to be responsible for in order for "H" to finally be declared the worst Ian Watkins?

It takes some planning or, Preparation, H

mothman

Some people might try to oppose it. An H Block.

jobotic

MojoJojo

It means they can only identify it as omicron by putting it into an expensive RNA reading machine. The non-stealth variant could be detected by PCR tests, more or less. There's a lot less capacity of RNA reading machines than PCR tests.

Zetetic

This is the most instructive bit in the article on the underlying mechanics, I think:

Scientists use whole genome analysis to confirm which variant has caused a Covid infection, but PCR tests can sometimes give an indication.

About half of the PCR machines in the UK look for three genes in the virus, but Omicron (and the Alpha variant before it) test positive on only two of them. This is because Omicron, like Alpha, has a genetic change called a deletion in the "S" or spike gene. The glitch means that PCR tests that display so-called "S gene target failure" [sometimes called "S gene dropout"] are highly suggestive of Omicron infections.

Informally, some researchers are calling the new variant "stealth Omicron" because it lacks the deletion that allows PCR tests to spot it.

bgmnts

Well the job centre are making you go into do something that can very very very easily be done by phone.

So fair to say government gives no fucks about this new variant and it will all be open.

I know this because the job centre was instantly shut in like March for a long time, way before it all went really bad, if memory serves.

Ferris

Quote from: Zetetic on December 07, 2021, 05:10:12 PMThis is the most instructive bit in the article on the underlying mechanics, I think:

Scientists use whole genome analysis to confirm which variant has caused a Covid infection, but PCR tests can sometimes give an indication.

About half of the PCR machines in the UK look for three genes in the virus, but Omicron (and the Alpha variant before it) test positive on only two of them. This is because Omicron, like Alpha, has a genetic change called a deletion in the "S" or spike gene. The glitch means that PCR tests that display so-called "S gene target failure" [sometimes called "S gene dropout"] are highly suggestive of Omicron infections.

Informally, some researchers are calling the new variant "stealth Omicron" because it lacks the deletion that allows PCR tests to spot it.

Silly question - so the typical PCR comes back positive for covid (because 2 of 3 genes are still detected but possibly indicating a different variant), or negative for covid full stop?

Zetetic

Zetetic

To be clearer: Triggering on two genes will get you a positive result.

It's also not a stupid question, given that certain English Government-commissioned labs seem to have no idea how to interpret their own fucking results half the time.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Does it make a difference to lateral flow tests?

Ferris

Quote from: Zetetic on December 07, 2021, 10:00:34 PMTo be clearer: Triggering on two genes will get you a positive result.

It's also not a stupid question, given that certain English Government-commissioned labs seem to have no idea how to interpret their own fucking results half the time.

The older I get, the more amazed I am that people are unwilling to ask a question for fear of looking daft. I do it all the time if I don't follow something, and I'd guess at least half the time someone else in the room says "oh actually I don't get that either" and I suspect the other half the time people are too worried to even say that.

Worst case scenario - you can laugh it off in an informal situation and look personable; or reiterate it back to the person slightly differently in a formal setting and demonstrate active listening and visible understanding in a way that sticks with everyone ("he's the one who gets it!") far more than the other herberts who stay quiet in the meeting .

Used to drive me bonkers that, coming out a room and everyone deciding they didn't understand anything that was said or what they were supposed to do. Then fucking ask because the time to query it was ten minutes ago, not try and crib some notes off me.

Sorry. Pet peeve.

bgmnts

Yeah but it's okay for you to look stupid because you have nothing to lose.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on December 08, 2021, 01:04:02 AMYeah but it's okay for you to look stupid because you have nothing to lose.

When I ran 2 departments across 3 countries? Yes I suppose that's fair, I'd ask the question while being technically in charge, though I still tried to encourage everyone else to do the same.

What can you do eh?!