Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:43:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New variant from South Africa

Started by shoulders, November 25, 2021, 03:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Crenners on November 27, 2021, 06:20:15 PMOmicron make me think of something from The Transformers: The Movie (1984).

Because it would be curtains for Orson Welles?

Milo

Johnson, almost worth the pandemic getting worse to punish that fucker. He never imagined he'd have to deal with an actual emergency. It was going to be all state visits and pissing about. The worst he expected was Brexit blowback and instead he gets this and he occasionally realises that his crapness has killed tens of thousands. And he can't even quit.

jobotic

If it does require a lockdown it won't happen will it? Or if it does Sunak won't allow any furlough or money to keep businesses that have to shut funds to keep them viable.

Milo

I can't see another full lockdown. We're too deep into the fatigue. The first one was us all pulling together but we've been dicked about too much by the fuckwits in charge that basically nothing is enforceable any more.

I mean, if we get Boris Johnson telling us all that wearing face coverings is really important how can anyone take that seriously?

Alberon

Winter with the Delta variant has got the NHS on the edge. If Omicron pushes them over the edge even those bunch of tosses might go for a lockdown.

Johnson stuck to his line that this Christmas will be better than last, but even he could see that was saying very little.

Milo

I'm starting to think that we need to be drastically increasing medical capacity on a permanent basis. We're not getting rid of covid and we can't go on with restrictions forever, it seems like the only thing to do is ramp up the hospitals to be able to cope.

mobias

Quote from: jobotic on November 27, 2021, 07:01:51 PMIf it does require a lockdown it won't happen will it? Or if it does Sunak won't allow any furlough or money to keep businesses that have to shut funds to keep them viable.

Omicron would have to be catastrophically bad for another lockdown to be put in place. Although it may turn out to be bad news I doubt it'll be that bad. The vaccines will have some effect and there's loads of new antiviral drugs available now. Even the most fearmongering scientists out there don't seem to be thinking there's a danger of us going back to square one where we were in March 2020.

If Omicron does turn out to be as bad as feared then I can see further token restrictions being put in place, set against a total shit show from the usual anti lockdown brigade but that'll be the worst of it, in terms of disruption.

I think whats more depressing right now is the realisation that we're really not out of this situation and won't be for a long while. There's still a really nasty disease out there. 

Alberon

It depends how badly the hospitals are coping. Omicron might only have to be slightly worse to significantly alter the situation.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 27, 2021, 06:18:51 PMIt's possible some people on the train could be mask exempt. I don't know what passengers' rights are when confronted by an unmasked passenger.

If all exempt had omicron, what then?

Bronzy

QuoteHowever, Dr Angelique Coetzee, chair of the South African Medical Association and a practising GP based in Pretoria, said it was "premature" to make predictions of a health crisis.

"It's all speculation at this stage. It may be it's highly transmissible, but so far the cases we are seeing are extremely mild," she said. "Maybe two weeks from now I will have a different opinion, but this is what we are seeing. So are we seriously worried? No. We are concerned and we watch what's happening. But for now we're saying, 'OK: there's a whole hype out there. [We're] not sure why.'"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/26/south-africa-b11529-covid-variant-vaccination

Hopefully this is indeed the case and the variant won't be as bad as feared.

vanilla.coffee

Curious. How does one find out which variant they've contracted?

poo

You can go to Kwik Fit (seriously)

vanilla.coffee

The scenario I imagine is - you feel rough, can't smell anything or whatever. Take one of the pregnancy test kit thingys, 2 lines appear so you off yourself to bed with some hot milk and vitamin c tablets right?

Ferris

Trying to do a pun with omicron and fuckdown but getting nowhere.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Milo on November 27, 2021, 06:20:04 PMIs there a rule of thumb on how many people of a random sample are actually exempt?

You can hit them with a rod smaller than you thumb until they mask the fuck up. If that doesn't work, exempt.

chveik

this wouldn't have happened if they had waived the vaccines' intellectual property a long time ago.

Crenners

BlodwynPig

Quote from: vanilla.coffee on November 27, 2021, 11:29:16 PMCurious. How does one find out which variant they've contracted?

Sequencing and variant calling tools

vanilla.coffee

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 28, 2021, 07:41:09 AMSequencing and variant calling tools

And you can pick these up from the local pharmacy?

My point is, if Gary gets two lines on his little test kit after being all achy and not being able to smell his resin after crumbling it into his one skin... he WhatsApp's his boss with a photo of the positive test and goes to bed all full of paracetamol.

He doesn't bother with a PCR because - well, he's got the symptoms and he's too cunty to follow the system.

How many others be like Gary which is rhetorical I know so how do we really know how many Africa variants are wandering the streets of the UK right now?
It's probably not just the two we learned of yesterday.

BlodwynPig

shoulders

Quote from: Milo on November 27, 2021, 07:26:04 PMI'm starting to think that we need to be drastically increasing medical capacity on a permanent basis. We're not getting rid of covid and we can't go on with restrictions forever, it seems like the only thing to do is ramp up the hospitals to be able to cope.

Yes

BlodwynPig

Labour manifesto pledge:

A hospital in every home.

BlodwynPig

For those assuming once its here, which it is now, stopping /controlling travel into the country is pointless, it's not. Seeding more Omicron or other will lead to greater persistence, transmission and incidence of the disease

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteHealth Secretary Sajid Javid has said face masks will be compulsory in shops and on public transport in England from Tuesday

Why from Tuesday? Why not from today?

pigamus

Presumably they can't make it legally enforceable till then

Zetetic

Quote from: Milo on November 27, 2021, 07:26:04 PMI'm starting to think that we need to be drastically increasing medical capacity on a permanent basis. We're not getting rid of covid and we can't go on with restrictions forever, it seems like the only thing to do is ramp up the hospitals to be able to cope.
This would take a couple of decades.

jobotic

Quote from: pigamus on November 28, 2021, 09:42:45 AMPresumably they can't make it legally enforceable till then

Don't know how we'll make it enforcable where I work but at least can get some signage up tomorrow.

bomb_dog

Quote from: Zetetic on November 28, 2021, 09:53:26 AMThis would take a couple of decades.
They've got a two year head start on the 40 'new' hospitals promised.

Crenners

Are we really back to square one?

I can't wait to do it ALL again.