Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:39:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most recent comedy that you now feel a bit embarrassed to have liked

Started by Memorex MP3, March 20, 2024, 10:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: madhair60 on March 20, 2024, 01:37:53 PMbullshit.

You're right. It's not all edgelord shit but some of it is. Anyway I'll go away now and TURN MYSELF INTO A CUCUMBER IN BRINE, MORTIMER

Captain Z

I have tried hard to give R&M the time, I think I've seen series 1-4 in its entirety, but I still rarely find it that funny. Like, I appreciate the effort that goes into it, and as a bit of a science nerd it should be up my street, but I just think that Futurama in its prime was at least twice as funny and with far more likeable characters.

On topic: Little Britain and Come Fly With Me. The former I can excuse for one or two of the more absurdist sketches still being funny, the latter not really at all.

I don't think there's too much wrong with finding Michael MacIntyre funny when he first appeared. But he arrived at the moment when that particular trend of mainstream observational comedy was becoming ubiquitous (long after Peter Kay had set the standard) and became the figurehead for the backlash against it.

madhair60

i'm defensive of R&M because i've enjoyed it from the start, I think it's actually got better and better, and i really hate this idea of "the fans" being cunts when it seems to just be people on Reddit who are the cunts because everyone on Reddit is a cunt.

Glebe

Family Guy could be hilarious at times before it descended into cheap nasty toss.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: madhair60 on March 20, 2024, 03:35:31 PMi'm defensive of R&M because i've enjoyed it from the start, I think it's actually got better and better, and i really hate this idea of "the fans" being cunts when it seems to just be people on Reddit who are the cunts because everyone on Reddit is a cunt.
I've heard that from people, it turns out Rick is really damaged and sad inside etc. but I can't get past the early cuntishness. Rick urping his contempt for his own family with vomit all over his chin while Morty shrieks and gibbers.

Someone asked me once why I dislike Rick and Morty, but like BoJack Horseman. BoJack is more relatable, despite being a talking horse - he was a guy who got super famous off the back of one thing and has been coasting on that ever since. And he's likeable. The first episode I saw was the one where Diane's dad dies. BoJack's mildly horrified at her indifference, he goes with her to the funeral she organised (even though her family didn't bother), he knows where to find her when she takes off and he knows what to say to make her feel better. The first episode of R&M I saw was the Needful Things parody. Rick immediately realises the shopkeeper's the devil. He's so smart everyone. It's so obvious the guy's the devil. Anyone who falls for it is so fucking stupid. Rick is so awesome despite being utterly hateful to everyone around him. Being smart is the most important thing fuck off writers. Fuck off.

I'm not saying it's a bad show. I haven't seen enough of it to decide that it's a bad show. I certainly would never say that people are bad for watching it. But the few episodes I've seen rubbed me the wrong way and it is not something I'm interested in watching.

George White

The Walshes.
Was genuinely sad to see it cancelled after 3 eps.
Back when Glinner was merely an avuncular, slightly silly but seemingly still pretty much a GBOL.

jimboslice

Quote from: Glebe on March 20, 2024, 04:03:12 PMFamily Guy could be hilarious at times before it descended into cheap nasty toss.

Season 1 of Family Guy was the first DVD I ever bought, I reckon I've watched the first few series a fair few times.

I can't believe I used to watch Everybody Loves Raymond on a morning on C4 before school. I'm sure I complained about it, and definitely preferred Frasier, but I definitely watched far too much Everybody Loves Raymond.

Glebe

Quote from: George White on March 20, 2024, 04:29:25 PMThe Walshes.
Back when Glinner was merely an avuncular, slightly silly but seemingly still pretty much a GBOL.

I never watched that. Glinner never really seemed like the warmest bloke tbh. Of course that's different than begin totally intolerant and anti-trans bananas.

Quote from: jimboslice on March 20, 2024, 04:40:14 PMSeason 1 of Family Guy was the first DVD I ever bought, I reckon I've watched the first few series a fair few times.

I think a mate of mine had a boxset. Deffo didn't discover it myself anyway.

Brundle-Fly

In CaB glossary, 'R&M' denotes Reeves & Mortimer not some shrill, nihilistic cartoon that I don't get.

Glebe

Yeah I was confused by that too. Only watched the first season of Rick and Morty.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 20, 2024, 01:03:33 PMNon, Je ne regrette rien. I'm always surprised when people say "it makes me uncomfortable watching it now" I just mutter to myself "Different times." and continue viewing. I can't think of anything recent I'd be ashamed to admit to liking, just to maintain some deluded sense of credibility. It's ok that you once liked Elastica too.

Yes, I definitely do it simply to look cool and stay current with the wokes, and it's not at all because my critical perception of what's acceptable or simply enjoyable has changed as I matured over time. That would just be stupid!!

Pink Gregory

I enjoy Ri&Mo, broadly, I think my problem with it, if I have any, is that anything Dan Harmon touches has a tendency to get a bit grating after a while, something about him being very...intense?

dontpaintyourteeth

Chollis

Was gonna say Gervais but actually never liked anything he did post Extras. He was my favourite comedian in the world at one point which I suppose is bad enough. I loved his early stand-up specials when I'm sure I'd find them incredibly irritating now.

Summer Heights High? Haven't watched that in 10+years either but I can't imagine it's aged well.

Oosp

Quote from: George White on March 20, 2024, 04:29:25 PMThe Walshes.

Not embarrassed in the slightest. Big fan of The Walshes, BECAUSE IT WAS CREATED AND PERFORMED BY DIET OF WORMS.
But especially the Worms' original web series:

FeederFan500

The Inbetweeners probably, it was still in the days where laughing at people being gay was acceptable for TV comedy. But I still think there are aspects of teen life that it really accurately captures and I find it funny when it's on E4, just wouldn't be as comfortable going on about how great it is like Peep Show, say.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 20, 2024, 05:00:39 PMYes, I definitely do it simply to look cool and stay current with the wokes, and it's not at all because my critical perception of what's acceptable or simply enjoyable has changed as I matured over time. That would just be stupid!!

Alright sarky pants.

Memorex MP3

I remember seeing an episode of season one of Family Guy before the revival on TV somewhere and loving it; then raving about it a bunch and getting seasons 1-3 as a christmas gift a few years later. Couldn't for the life of me see what I liked on return.
I was 12-14 across this timespan but even still.

Anyone a bit baffled by any radio hosts or the like they used to love? I feel like there used to be an Opie and Anthony contingent on here, does that stuff still seem okay in retrospect? Has anyone already gone off peak Cum Town on revisit?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 20, 2024, 05:11:39 PMI enjoy Ri&Mo, broadly, I think my problem with it, if I have any, is that anything Dan Harmon touches has a tendency to get a bit grating after a while, something about him being very...intense?

Yes agreed. In fact my answer to this is Community - absolutely loved it at the time but I think in retrospect it was mainly because I hadn't seen that much in the way of genre-experimental comedy and so I think I believed it was a lot more boundary pushing and genius than it was which blinded me to it's flaws I think (e.g. annoying characters, catchphrase bollocks, the creepy sexual politics of the jeff/annie stuff). I still maintain that the early seasons have some genuinely great jokes in, s1 especially.

Anyway for a less recent but far more egregious example, there was a time when The IT Crowd was my favourite sitcom of all time.

lauraxsynthesis

IT Crowd is alright isn't it? Apart from the writer? And it being a favourite of Osama Bin Laden?

twosclues

Broad City was one I was all in on for the first season or two. Then Hilary showed up and it was never quite the same. Haven't seen it in a few years, can't imagine it's aging particularly well.

ishantbekeepingit

A good long while ago now, I came home from uni to find all my family talking up this new show they all thought was hilarious.  The next time it was on, I sat watching it with them, and we all laughed our fucking tits off.

At some point, a few years later, seemingly simultaneously, we all decided we absolutely fucking hated Mrs Brown's Boys.

Mr Vegetables

Rick and Morty is a frustrating one because the things I like about it are among my favourite things in any television show ever— but then it endlessly cruel for the sake of it, and it's depressing.

But I still think it does malevolent absurdism very well; there is often a sense that these weird throwaway things are part of something bigger with its own internal logic you'll never see. So much stuff seems moribund and samey now I'm old and grumpy; this show is wildly inventive and silly, but it's the kind of silly that understands everything is absurd rather than the twee sort which thinks that the universe is safe. I just... I just wish it could do all that without being so nasty

Thosworth

I really loved R****** B****'* Ponderland. It's clearly got Matt Morgan's fingerprints all over it, and from Clive James to Bob Mills, you can't go wrong taking the piss out of old TV clips. I still regularly think about using the spasm technique to win at Daley Thompson's Decathlon. But I haven't watched recently, and can't help thinking a significant amount of shine will have worn off due to the horrible allegationey wations.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: twosclues on March 20, 2024, 07:24:43 PMBroad City was one I was all in on for the first season or two. Then Hilary showed up and it was never quite the same. Haven't seen it in a few years, can't imagine it's aging particularly well.
I think that's more a case that they had moved on from any kind of connection to the characters so they ran out of ideas extremely quickly. Season 3 was a noticeable decline even while watching and it fell off a clip for 4.
Reckon the first season and some of the second probably would still be alright.

Hillary Clinton did single handedly shift it from being a show that felt very contemporary to being an extremely embarrassing relic of a terrible era though

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: chip on March 20, 2024, 01:09:18 PM... 'Mr PBH'. I can't even type it out, I'd cringe the enamel from my teeth.

Peter Buckley Hill? (I have never seen R&M)

neveragain

I don't regret liking Little Britain, as I could always tell which bits were shit and was fully aware how awful Series 3 was as it aired. Tingtong for God's sake. Like another poster on the previous page, I was fan of Lucas and Walliams beforehand but sadly they lost their magic.

Mrs Brown's Boys - I'll freely admit to watching and enjoying it with my Nana. At first it appeared warm and good-natured, plus keeping in some mistakes seemed fun. But now I realise it's hacky as hell with stolen jokes all over the place, the fact the cast are all related isn't charming (it's annoying because a lot of them can't act) and the main guy seems a bit of a twat (firing cast members when they ask for equal pay, etc.)

I feel sad when watching Father Ted now.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 20, 2024, 12:39:56 PMI think that [Little Britain] would be my answer as well. My excuse is that it was good when it was on the radio, and it was nice to see the guys from the excellent Rock Profiles having success.

I also think it was easy at the time (before it became mainstream) to see what are clearly problems with it, as harmless layers of irony.

You have saved me typing out those exact words. Not that I'm asked if I like Little Britain very often but I always feel a right pseud saying "it was good on the radio".

Still trot out a variation on the Walliams character who had amnesia and at tea could "remember pudding but I can't remember a yoghurt or just a banana". A proto-Andy character, I suppose.

Toki

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on March 20, 2024, 06:29:53 PMYes agreed. In fact my answer to this is Community - absolutely loved it at the time but I think in retrospect it was mainly because I hadn't seen that much in the way of genre-experimental comedy and so I think I believed it was a lot more boundary pushing and genius than it was which blinded me to it's flaws I think (e.g. annoying characters, catchphrase bollocks, the creepy sexual politics of the jeff/annie stuff). I still maintain that the early seasons have some genuinely great jokes in, s1 especially.

I love the first three seasons of Community (yep, even the third), but I do vastly prefer it when it's quirky but basically a normal sitcom. There's moments in the first season in particular where it's very quirky but basically a normal sitcom and I didn't admire it but I enjoyed it a lot more than the OTT-quirkathon it became. Sorry for overusing the word 'quirky' in this post, I am too lazy to use a thesaurus, and it is Community I'm talking about after all.