Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:20:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Black Mirror's best episode gets a spinoff mini-series

Started by lazyhour, January 31, 2024, 02:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

Blimey!

https://movieweb.com/netflix-developing-black-mirror-spin-off-series-based-on-uss-callister/

Quote'USS Callister' from Black Mirror is getting its own spin-off series after winning four Emmys and becoming a fan-favorite.
 The spin-off will feature a new character named Rinko, but plot details are currently unknown.
 Original cast members Jesse Plemons, Cristin Milioti, and Jimmi Simpson are expected to reprise their roles in the limited series, along with other potential returning cast members.

Excited? Or This'll Be Shit I Reckon?

I really really love the BM episode, but it's such a perfect self-contained thing.

Mobbd

Wow! I don't know what to say.

My first question is whether Plemons will be the actual in-world fictional captain or if he'll be his real world loser gamer guy. Like, will this be set in both of those worlds or just the happy Callister one?

I'm probably hoping for an Orville-style "Nice Trek" show for people who aren't getting that from actual branded NuTrek. But maybe it'll be smarter than that.

Mobbd

With the possible exception of Coel, none of those characters look real. You know? They look like art-within-art for the purposes of parody. Xerox-of-a-xerox. Not sure they're stress-tested for a real show.

dungbeetle kpi

Quote from: Mobbd on January 31, 2024, 03:21:16 PMMy first question is whether Plemons will be the actual in-world fictional captain or if he'll be his real world loser gamer guy.

Presumably both? Otherwise it's just gonna be like a parody Star Trek show.

Blumf

frajer

Intriguing but as mentioned in the OP it's basically a one-and-done lovely thing and didn't smack of needing a full series. But what the fuck do I know?

Retained that tremendous cast though, so I'll definitely give it a whirl.

Mister Six

I love Plemons, but unless Coel is writing it I couldn't give less of a toss.

How many Black Mirror stories revolve around an AI person being trapped and/or tortured?

Poobum

Kinda liked the ending of Plemons being stuck in a black void for eternity, consciousness severed from body.

Brundle-Fly

I was hoping this was going to be a whole series of The National Anthem. Each episode Rory Kinnear's PM character is forced to shag a different farmyard animal to spare the life of various royals.

lazyhour

Quote from: Poobum on January 31, 2024, 06:44:13 PMKinda liked the ending of Plemons being stuck in a black void for eternity, consciousness severed from body.

Spoiler alert!

Poobum

I really liked the ending where Plemons DIDN'T get trapped in dark void his consciousness severed from his body.

lazyhour

Quote from: Poobum on January 31, 2024, 07:13:36 PMI really liked the ending where Plemons DIDN'T get trapped in dark void his consciousness severed from his body.

👍

Dex Sawash

Mobbd

Quote from: dungbeetle kpi on January 31, 2024, 03:32:13 PMPresumably both? Otherwise it's just gonna be like a parody Star Trek show.

Not necessarily parody. Mid- to-late Orville episodes were pastiche and better for it.

H-O-W-L

Shit post coming up but I've just gotta vent about Black Mirror I guess.

Honestly wish I could say I was at least happy for Brooker to be peddling this kind of MOR shit for cunts overseas but I'm really not. No shade if anyone here likes Black Mirror but having read his Screen Burn columns from start to finish I genuinely feel like 99% of the episodes are just one-line jokes from that or Screenwipe, stretched to an hour with the most fucking dullard paint-by-numbers cinematography and sfx imaginable to make it all techno and iPhone and weird. Bandersnatch tried something, USS Callister was clever, and San Junipero was a bit sweet, but that's about fucking it.

Brooker's satire and invective and venom was always best delivered from himself and really doesn't work in a visual medium beyond the straight-to-camera sort of stuff Screenwipe did. TV Go Home and the Screen Burn narrative segments are where it thrives, because it runs off weird simile and reference and imaginative elements. Even the skits in How TV Ruined Your Life felt like the most utterly base prick shit, and I've no idea why he feels like he's good at writing this kind of thing. Nathan Barley was about the last time he pulled it off.

Dead Set was fucking fantastic, but that was because it was played almost entirely straight and the comedy was natural and well-delivered stuff put into a dramatic script organically. Everything else? Pish.

I used to really fucking like Brooker but absolutely all of the paint's worn off now with Black Mirror for me. It really does just feel very sodding lazy and very fucking dull. Not even like, cynicism that's too dark for me - just the kind of sneering upper-middle-class TV anti-techno cynicism that doesn't actually really say anything about the way that technology is genuinely used by the powers that be. It's just all "You looked in the phone screen? Well, it's a mirror and it's black, and that's YOU looking in it, that is. What if the phone's looking back? What if technology, a big digital spider, is actually going to hit you with a big hammer??? Huh??? What about that??? It's about society!" Fucking what about society?!

It really just is the Brass Eye TECHNOLOGY bit.

Just so tired of it. I'm sorry, Rod Serling, for all the criticisms I gave the Twilight Zone, at least that was about something!

(I actually love the Twilight Zone teehee)

Midas

MORE PLOT

We are unbound by the limitations of broadcast television!

Midas

was the star trek episode a "fan-favorite" because it was good or because it had bits that were like star trek

Midas

Quote from: Midas on February 05, 2024, 01:17:33 AMwas the star trek episode a "fan-favorite" because it was good or because it had bits that were like star trek

what i'm saying is NEEEERRDDD

dontpaintyourteeth

Black Mirror peaked with 15 Million Merits change my mind (but don't actually I'm not that invested)