Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:10:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dead Wright

Started by Tony Tony Tony, February 13, 2024, 05:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

Steve Wright has died.  RIP part of my childhood. BBC

Toki

I remember his reaction at the end of a really weird segment on TOTP2, a bemused "I don't know what that was." Can't remember the song or the performer, so can't find a clip. Also remember him introducing Paul Heaton in an interview as "the man with the voice" and his producer asking what that meant. "Well, he sang that song." It was the Beautiful South's cover of Livin' Thing, which was sung by Dave Hemingway. Anyway, he seemed a jolly guy and it was always pleasant to hear him on the radio. RIP Steve Wright.

Goldentony

worst possible choice for the thread title

Toki

Quote from: Goldentony on February 13, 2024, 05:19:11 PMworst possible choice for the thread title

That's true, when I first saw it I thought 'oh no, not Wright now!" and it was with mixed feelings that I realised he'd only died.

Blumf

'Steve Left'? As in left this mortal coil?

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Steve Wright in the Afterlife.

Goldentony

close thread until title change

Hope they play this as they lower the casket

pigamus

It's a shame his TOTP2 stuff was so obnoxious because apparently he was a sweetheart, nobody had a bad word to say about him

Goldentony

please stop contributing until the thread title is improved

Goldentony

steve fucking wrong, jesus christ

Blumf

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Blumf on February 13, 2024, 05:36:58 PMThis! Make it this.
Turns out it's quite a popular choice...

Blumf

agentorange76

RIP Wrighty.

Steve Wright in the Afternoon back in the late 80s; Sid the Manager, Voice Over Man and the Down the Pan Daleks. Classics!

Quote from: Blumf on February 13, 2024, 05:22:09 PM'Steve Left'? As in left this mortal coil?

Or just "Steve Wright has died" maybe

greencalx

Vodkafone

I sometimes used to listen to him in the tractor if my Walkman batteries had run out.

He worked at the BBC in the 70s and 80s, seemingly without sexually assaulting anyone.

Powerful words there.

kalowski

There is a Wright that never goes out (apart from today).

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Vodkafone on February 13, 2024, 07:00:47 PMI sometimes used to listen to him in the tractor if my Walkman batteries had run out.

He worked at the BBC in the 70s and 80s, seemingly without sexually assaulting anyone.

Powerful words there.

These days you need a settling period of at least eight weeks before you can relax

Brian Freeze

Painted a lot of windows while up a ladder listening to Steve Wright in the afternoon.  Distinctly remember a lot of scraping to get back to a decent surface.

Less a fan of his Sunday Love Songs show.

TheMonk

The Cold Wright Of Day

McDead

I didn't really like him, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I listened to hundreds if not thousands of hours of his show across the years and more or less enjoyed most of them. Kept things nice and lively during many a mid-afternoon lull, and also gave us Wayne Carr, in a roundabout way. Little bit of factamation there.

I, uh, bought his Terminator 2 knock off novelty single when it came out, and more or less enjoyed that also.

gilbertharding

Quote from: pigamus on February 13, 2024, 05:26:02 PMIt's a shame his TOTP2 stuff was so obnoxious...

He may coat down your favourite band or artist, but he never forgot: he'd been on Top of the Pops at least as many times as they had.

lazyhour

Do we think think he'll deliver his own eulogy? He was very fond of pre-records after all.

McDead

Love the show (his own funeral)