Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:55:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Disproportionate Celebrity

Started by Purple Tentacle, May 05, 2004, 04:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borboski

Quote from: "Nearly Annually"
Quote from: "joFFeman"anyhoo, zsa zsa gabor. what's she? comatose, dead? why should i care?
You're righter than right, because she if anyone is credited as being the first professional celebrity. The first to be famous merely for being famous.

Mind you, when I was a nipper I saw a black and white film in which she played a summer-dressed lolita who turns up to live with her uncle in the middle of mid-west nowhere. He has to try not to fuck her despite massive provocation and she did the provocation so well that she produced my first ever wood, or memory thereof. So for me at least she is indeed an icon.

I must make it clear that I didn't have a wank, and if I did I wouldn't mention it.

mein gott are you... old?

Incredible Monkey Doctor

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"I genuinely have no idea why Tara Palmer-Tomkinson is famous.  She was well-known before "I'm a celebrity get me out of here", but as far as I'm aware she's not a singer/dancer/actress/model and I don't think she became famous for shagging someone.

So how did she become a celeb?

Add to that Lady Victoria Harvey (I think) ... she's got LOL NO title... but nowt else, but Hello! loves her...

neuteredcats

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"I genuinely have no idea why Tara Palmer-Tomkinson is famous.  She was well-known before "I'm a celebrity get me out of here", but as far as I'm aware she's not a singer/dancer/actress/model and I don't think she became famous for shagging someone.

So how did she become a celeb?

For generally being posh and a bit rich.

Some media types decided she would be an 'It' girl. And the rest, as they say, is history...

Oh yes, and she hung out with Prince Charles and the young princes on the ski slope at Klosters or something.

Then she did a weekly diary of her social exploits in The Sunday Times. You know, flitting from the Met bar to the Milk bar to the Ivy then on to Quaglino's taking in a fashion show (Alexander McQueen or somesuch) then an hour at the Sanctuary before heading back via the Harvey Nick's food hall for some duck faeces and foi gras.

neuteredcats

Quote from: "Downs_Syndrome"
Oh how I wish for the days when knights were made to fight dragons.

Are you sure this isn't a line from 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail'?

Capuchin

Quote from: "Smackhead Kangaroo"So was the definite proof connecting Camel Fucker Ossama to the wayward flights? Or has it passed me by?
I remember for a good few months people accusing this random fellow out of nowhere with no apparent proof, and I'd just presumed people have jsut accepted.

Well, it's a fact that he is/was a organising figure in Al-Qaeda since it began.
And they said they connected the hijackers involved to Al-Qaeda.
So 1+1.
I don't think they've got anything definite proof-wise, but it was pretty much accepted that he was involved in previous Al Qaeda things, like the bombings of embassies in Africa and a US ship.....
Plus all those tapes said to come from him which condone it, doesn't help him, eh?

Anyway, he was Public Enemy top ten in those FBI most wanted lists for years, so that amounts to him being more than a flash-in-the-pan celeb.

Yes.

Smackhead Kangaroo

Doesn't sound like a very strong case against the bearded one.
Especially the "pretty much accepted" line.
I demand proof. Already being a bad guy isn't relevant and the tapes have always been suspect and of dubious value

High Roller

Quote from: "Mediocre Rich"My votes would go to (among others)

3. James Dyson.
One good Hoover and a stupid washing machine does not a renaisance man make.

I seem to remember he invented the ball-barrow. That wheel-barrow with the lurid orange ball thing instead of a wheel.

grundie

I nominate Bruce Forsythe. He can tap dance and shove gameshow contestants around and er, thats it.

mayer

Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"Lionel Blair. I know he used to be a dancer but had anyone heard of him before "Give Us A Clue"?

he was on the Beatle's movie A Hard Days Night, dancing along to an easy listenin' "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You", with nice pictures of Beetles as a backdrop, till those young hoodlums jump about and smack about on the drums and that.

nice interview with him on the DVD and all.

thomasina

Quote from: "neuteredcats"Vorderman.

Seconded.  TV Brainbox Carol  who is famous for getting a Third at Cambridge  and doing sums.    Also, Robbie Williams flatmate,  who is famous for releasing 2 singles which bombed and now presents You've Been Framed.  Kerry whatsit, the ugly blonde one who was in Atomic Kitten, married that Irish bloke and went in the jungle.  None of them are cunts* as far as I know, I just can't think of any reason why i should be aware of their existence.

*Except Vorderman.  And I forgot about Richard Blackwood.