Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:50:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Tangent Thread

Started by butnut, May 07, 2004, 01:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butnut

Here's a real Friday afternoon thread for you.

I love it when threads go off on weird and strange tangents; ones that you could never have predicted when it started. So here's a completely artifical environment in which to try an experient.

The point - take something based on what the last poster wrote, and take it off somewhere else. For it to work properly, it must still be very loosely related to what that person wrote. And if we get multiple tangents - so much the better.

Here's some interesting quotes on tangents to kick things off:

Quote(n) A condition in which a straight line is in contact with a curve at only one point. Tangents describe the smooth transition from a linear/planar element to a curved one. Geometric construction techniques are used to define tangent curves in an engineering drawing.

QuoteIn early clavichords, keys outnumbered strings and as a consequence, individual strings could be activated by more than one key to produce notes of different pitch. This fact, that a string was required to produce more than one note, meant that some notes could not be played simultaneously.

Depression of a key caused the tiny, arm-mounted, metal wedge (the tangent) to hit the selected string at the point where the ratio of productive string length allowed a note of the required pitch. Thus, the tangent served a dual purpose inasmuch as it both "stopped" the string at the desired point and acted as the agent responsible for string vibration.

This ability to "stop" an individual string in different places appeared to be synonymous with the fretted fingerboards of lutes and viols so, as a consequence, early clavichords were deemed to be "fretted."

A tangent is also a name for a male coon.

dirkfunk

That's what the National Front do isn't it?

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "dirkfunk"fugget it

What, that black men's teeth are made of clouds?

dirkfunk

butnut

I've just realsied this is just the 'nothing of note' thread in another guise really. For true tangents to occur, you must have a topic from which they can divert from. But as the topic here is tangents themselves, where can we go?

I'd say this experiment is going badly at the moment.

Pinball

Quote from: "dirkfunk"yes, it's rubbish
.. which is a much under-appreciated source of energy that, far from being thrown away, should be used to save the environment.