Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:37:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

LCD Soundsystem "Sound Of Silver"

Started by Ciarán2, March 10, 2007, 05:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciarán2

What an utterly ace album!

Some of you will have heard LCD Soundsystem's debut album of 2005. It was very good, but sounded a bit like a hip version of Stars In Their Eyes. "Tonight, Matthew I will be 1974 vintage Brian Eno!!!" etc.

This time out, however, I think James Murphy really has found his voice. It's still hip stuff of course. And it's stridently electro. And it still sounds like other things (New Order, Kraftwerk, Blondie etc etc and even Scissor Sisters crossed with Stevie Wonder and Tom Tom Club on "Time To Get Away"!). But it has LCD Soundsystem stamped all over it. Long, spun out dance grooves, crunchy rhythm tracks, odd noises, bits of skewed piano and lonely, sober middle-aged lyrical concerns. Lovely sounds on the title track, reminiscent of Kraftwerk's "Home Computer". I like this lyric...

"Sound of Silver talk to me/ Makes you want to feel like a teenager/ Until you remember the feelings of a real-life emotional teenager/ Then you think again..."

It's completely terrific. Any reservations I had about their first album can be put aside, because LCD Soundsystem have really come of age.

Any of you heard it yet? What do you make of it?

Shit! I just assumed there was already a thread about this one I'd not contributed to, it's absolutely marvellous stuff. The opener 'Get Innocuous' is the best LCD track so far by a mile, shitting all over Losing My Edge, Yeah and Too Much Love. It's a homage in some ways but, crucially, so individual. The track 'Sound of Silver' is in a similar vein. All Of My Friends and Someone Great are equallly fantastic and this time the slowie, 'New York I Love You' is gorgeous, amongst the musical borrowings. One of the best albums of 2007 I've heard, easily.

So much more of an album, so less derivative, some fine lyrics and the production is even better.

i saw this band on wednesday.

that is all.

Peking O

I don't get LCD at all. I find myself cringing in embarrassment at most of his lyrics, and I still find most of the music to be far too generic. The fact that James Murphy looks like a fat Timmy Mallett at the start of the video for "North American Scum" doesn't help either.

Edit: Just seen him on the cover of Mixmag. Is he trying to look like Trevor Horn circa Buggles? Fuck's sake. Murphy basically is the hipster douchebag that he was trying to satirise in "Losing My Edge."

buttgammon

I've not listened to all of it yet, but it's a really good album, and possibly the best I've heard this year so far. I enjoyed the first one, but Sound of Silver is even better.

Is enyone else convinced the piano on 'All My Friends' is the same as the bit from the opening of 'Kein Trink Wasser' from Orbital's Snivilisation album? It sounds really similar to me, but I don't mind. To me LCD Soundsystem is basically a collage of different bits and bobs and various influences put together in a brilliantly crafted way. James Murphy seems to have pieced together all kinds of different types of music to create something truly unique - it takes other people's ideas, yet it adds all kinds of new ideas to the mix to make genuinely interesting music. I think this album could well go down as one of my favourites!

Ciarán2

"Someone Great" is the best track on it so far. It's a really really great album.

hoverdonkey

I bought this yesterday on the strength of this thread and a review in the Indy. Haven't heard it all but like it so far. 'All my Friends' definitely my fave so far.

Apesod

Does he still sound like he's got a cold when he sings?

Famous Mortimer

http://www.lcdremixed.com/

Some cheeky internet types have already done a full album of remixes for it. Have a listen, why don't you.

Famous Mortimer

http://www.lcdremixed.com/

Some cheeky internet types have already done a full album of remixes for it. Have a listen, why don't you.

hoverdonkey

Quote from: "Apesod"Does he still sound like he's got a cold when he sings?

hehe, yeah I was thinking that listening to it today. He sounds all bunged up.

benthalo

Quote from: "hoverdonkey"
Quote from: "Apesod"Does he still sound like he's got a cold when he sings?

hehe, yeah I was thinking that listening to it today. He sounds all bunged up.

He's starting to sound like Stephen Malkmus, especially when the final track goes a bit Pavement in the middle.

Loving this album.

poloniusmonk

Really, really enjoying this. 'Something Great' and 'All My Friends' are fantastic centrepieces - I keep going back to them.

buttgammon

Quote from: "poloniusmonk"Really, really enjoying this. 'Something Great' and 'All My Friends' are fantastic centrepieces - I keep going back to them.

I seem to be playing All My Friends endlessly. That plodding piano which just relentlessly bashes throughout, then the drums come in, then Murphy starts singing with his phlegm-soaked vocal chords. It's heaven!
And Get Innocuous is such a great opening track. I'm sure the intro comes from Losing My Edge (the single of theirs which really made me get into DFA stuff about two years ago), but it doesn't matter. You can hardly plagiarise yourself. And then it goes onto something completely different, ending up as a long and fucking brilliant all-night party with "You can normalise, don't it make you feel alive" chanted over the end. And the last track is such a great finale. I think I love this album even more than the first time with every play it gets. It's probably already one of my favourites of all time, and just to think about it is virtually giving me an orgasm!

hoverdonkey

Quote from: "Ciarán"I like this lyric...

"Sound of Silver talk to me/ Makes you want to feel like a teenager/ Until you remember the feelings of a real-life emotional teenager/ Then you think again..."

It's a shame it's the only lyric in the song

actwithoutwords

Wasn't sure where to mention this, but would anyone like an unworn navy Sound of Silver t-shirt (large) that I received erroneously?