Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:31:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chinese Democracy

Started by boxofslice, October 10, 2008, 10:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

variant

Quote...Because Axl wanted to surround himself with a bunch of puppets who'd do whatever he wanted.

Well yeah - quite probably. The credits of the album shows that the new guys had a lot of input in the songwriting but only around Axls 'melodies and lyrics'. I don't think Slash and co would have been so co-operative - much better for them to leave and form Velvet Revolver and do what they want and leave Axl with GnR to go his way.

Goldentony

He only has sole writing credit on one song doesn't he? that dates back to around 1990 i think, you can hear it on the video of the making of the comedy Estranged video.

He's gone a little less insane over the years, even in 2002 it was obvious he was still a huge egotistical maniac not ready to take being on the road again but since 2006 ish he seems to have proved he can be slightly normal when required. The people in the band have said time and time again he's a great guy, it's just obvious that this isn't a normal band of guys making music in a regular way, and though there's a hundred people who make descisions there's only one who can give them the go ahead.

Anyway, it's a good record, very happy Buckethead is still on.

variant

I saw them in both 2002 and 2006. I preferred the 2002 show probably because it was indoors and Buckethead was there. He did seem a lot more relaxed in 2006 though and even did a little Riverdance (the show was in Dublin y'see).

Dizzy Reed and Tommy Stinson have been in the band for quite a while so he can't be a complete nightmare to be with (or he just pays them well...)

He's also on very good terms with Izzy again and I'm sure I'm not the only one who hopes he can fit in the Robin Finck shaped whole that has just been created.

_Hypnotoad_

Well I gave Chinese Democracy a go, but to be honest it really just isn't grabbing me.

That said, as a kid I was a massive GnR fan, and whilst I'd consider my tastes to have changed somewhat, I still see GnR as the finest stadium rock band there has been.

I was pretty blown away when I found out he'd taken them back on the road back in 2002, and when I finally tracked down some material, thought his voice sounded amazing again, this was my biggest gripe during the UYI tour. He frequently sounded abysmal.

So my re-discovery of GnR has been to periodically get hold of material of the new lineup, which has always seemed a bit odd to me, but it's been great to see him back on stage screaming out some top performances.

That said, it always seemed a bit of a circus, especially with KFC head, despite his obvious talent. They were also frequently out of time and out of sync in general, though that's comparing them to the old lineup.

So the point of my post really is that I got hold of the "Rock am Ring 2006" DVD and have been suitably impressed once more.

The band seem tighter, more in sync, and Axl - well, the growl and the howl are definately back, and GnR live for me is 99% about how is Axls voice, otherwise they're virtually unlistenable.

I still can't help seeing the current lineup as just stand-ins until Slash, Izzy, Duff and Matt return, but if they don't do it soon, they never will. It would be awesome to see GnR headline something like Reading next year, new or old lineup, and maybe one day it will be with the old lineup.

Enough water has probably passed under the bridge now, and they must be mellowing a bit in their old age. They don't need to get on really, just tolerate each other, because the great chemistry on stage occured whilst they were sick of the sight of each other off of it.

So, yeah. If you were into GnR in the 90's, checkout Rock am Ring as it's a pretty good show, and I can't help but be mesmerised by Axl Rose.

He remains mysterious, reclusive and notoriously difficult to deal with even to this day. But a true rock icon in my view, a real arsehole that's for sure, but a true legend. Although that's maybe cos I still view him through the eyes of a 17 year old with pictures of him all over by bedroom wall!

Have some Velvet Revolver/Cypress Hill Paradise City

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OqBABcUVP94&feature=related

I've just heard 'There Was A Time' (aka TWAT).  Nowhere near as pompous as I was expecting.  Better than I thought it would be too, though nowhere near being classic G n' R.  Much better than the title track from 'Chinese Democracy', I thought.