Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:47:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Arrange your favourite albums in a 3x3 grid.

Started by Retinend, November 28, 2008, 06:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

NO NAMING ALBUMS! See how many you can recognise.

mine:

From the top then: VAN MORISSON - Veedon Fleece; BEATLES - Abbey Road; DONALD FAGEN - The Nightfly; BEACH BOYS - Holland; NEIL YOUNG - Tonight's The Night; CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - Clear Spot; STEELY DAN - Katy Lied; THE BAND - The Band; BOWIE - Low.

Retinend

Quote from: trotsky assortment on November 28, 2008, 06:53:51 PM
From the top then: VAN MORISSON - Veedon Fleece; BEATLES - Abbey Road; DONALD FAGEN - The Nightfly; BEACH BOYS - Holland; NEIL YOUNG - Tonight's The Night; CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - Clear Spot; STEELY DAN - Katy Lied; THE BAND - The Band; BOWIE - Low.

Nice, although I didn't mean this thread to be a quiz or anything, I just prefer these kinds of threads when people don't name them.

thugler

Quote from: Retinend on November 28, 2008, 07:02:01 PM
Nice, although I didn't mean this thread to be a quiz or anything, I just prefer these kinds of threads when people don't name them.

I appreciated the naming actually, It's annoying when you can't quite place a cover.

purlieu

quadraspazzed

Derek Trucks

No offence gents, but these choices are so obvious it's hard not to imagine "Classic albums now only £6.99 at HMV" emblazoned in the middle of your grids :)

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: Derek Trucks on November 28, 2008, 09:11:42 PM
No offence gents, but these choices are so obvious it's hard not to imagine "Classic albums now only £6.99 at HMV" emblazoned in the middle of your grids.
But does that really matter, so what if peoples favourite albums are mainstream and well known about. It's better actually posting your true favourite albums rather than posting a few obscure ones just so your knowledge of music seems a lot more expansive. It's almost like you're sneering at people for posting well reviewed or critically acclaimed albums here.

Derek Trucks

Yes, I totally agree with you.  And to be honest mine would probably be as obvious, which is why I'm not doing one.  I just thought it happened to look like those promotions that the high street chains tend to do.  And nobody's really picked a bad album.

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: Derek Trucks on November 28, 2008, 09:18:41 PM
Yes, I totally agree with you.  And to be honest mine would probably be as obvious, which is why I'm not doing one.  I just thought it happened to look like those promotions that the high street chains tend to do.  And nobody's really picked a bad album.
Sorry if I came across as rather brash, but it's often hard to tell the tone of someones writing on just a first viewing. I agree with you on the obvious point anyway, that's why I'm not making one as well. Well that and my distinct lack of knowledge for vast genres of music.

Beck

Anybody else find this just as bloody difficult as I did? I'd probably think up replacements for half of them if I thought hard about it, but I've done it now so sod it:

(EDIT: The last one's both 'volumes,' if that's allowed)

Derek Trucks

I realised I may have come across as too elitist and have decided to join in the fun.  But unlike you lazy bastards I have physically arranged the albums in a 4 x 4 grid and photographed them:

And tagger, joking aside I do actually love the Nows! and believe they play an important part in our musical history.

Retinend

No offence gents, but these choices are so obvious it's hard not to imagine "Classic albums now only £6.99 at HMV" emblazoned in the middle of your grids :)

hmph

and I've always looked down on people who own one 'classic' album of an artist bought at HMV sales, I guess I'm one of them.

this is what I think of as a HMV sale collection, by the way:

Vitalstatistix

Mine's probably fairly predictable. I'll wake up in a cold sweat when I remember I missed a favourite album out!

Lee

Liable to change at the drop of the hat:

Fake edit: and already I've forgotten Doolittle.

Slaaaaabs

Interesting little exercise actually - I approached it as "9 albums you could always listen to", since favourites can change with mood, but these 9 I think are just flawless pieces of work in their genres.

EDIT: What image hosting do you all use to be able to link directly then?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

You have two of my favourites, Slaaaaabs. I demand you give them back.

chocky909

purlieu

What's bottom left on mine, then?

Quote from: purlieu on November 29, 2008, 12:46:07 AM
What's bottom left on mine, then?

Spoiler alert
Image Zoom plus Wikipedia reveals it to be Thursday - Full Collapse

Is that cheating? I must get credit for being practical at least
[close]

purlieu

Crabwalk

Oh Christ, was it worth staying up for two hours deliberating over this?

No.

samadriel

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on November 28, 2008, 11:10:38 PM
a thing
Ruby Vroom, awesome.  Kyuss-wise, I was tossing up 'Blues for the Red Sun', myself.  More 'primitive' than their other stuff, possibly, but I love the raw power of it (while being disdainful of the Raw Power of Iggy & the Stooges, but that's another story).

Censored for your guessing convenience!!!!

edit: Fucking novelty webdesign on Photobucket...  Here's a tip guys, websites work better if THE PART YOU'RE TRYING TO COPY TO THE CLIPBOARD WHICH IS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE WEBSITE isn't an ILL-BEHAVED FUCKING MOUSEOVER.

I did indeed find this difficult; after three or four outstanding albums, I find it very hard to pick out particular albums for favourite status -- there's a bunch of albums where I'll like at least four or five songs, and then it becomes a matter of weighing up their sentimental significance and that sort of thing.  I could've put in 'Fox Confessor Brings the Flood' by Neko Case, but is it mere freshness in my memory that places it so highly?  Far better to pick the ones that've lasted me a couple of years at least.

Garam

Oof! The Ghost World cover is blaaaand, the Dan Clowes mini comic strip inside the booklet with a comic-ised Buscemi is much better.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: samadriel on November 29, 2008, 04:08:52 AM
Ruby Vroom, awesome.  Kyuss-wise, I was tossing up 'Blues for the Red Sun', myself.  More 'primitive' than their other stuff, possibly, but I love the raw power of it (while being disdainful of the Raw Power of Iggy & the Stooges, but that's another story).

Yeah I was stuck between Blues and Sky Valley, I think the "3x3 tracks" aspect of Sky Valley makes me listen to it as an album more often.

I actually had Comfort Eagle on there as well before I realised I neglected Masters Of Reality!

Emma Raducanu

Spoiler alert
1) G.Y.B.E - Lift your Skinny Fists
2) Múm - Yesterday was Dramatic, Today is Okay
3) Max Richter - Blue Notes
4) Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
5) Simon and Garfunkel - The Best of
6) Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
7) Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
8) The Greatest Christmas Songs
9) Mew - Frengers
[close]