Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:28:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stupid mis-pronounciations that piss you off

Started by Manford Thirty-Sixborough, June 23, 2004, 01:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
We come accross these all the time (cf "Controversy" and "Aitch" in the other thread), but there are two I've been hearing constantly of late, and they've been driving me up the wall.

Firstly, why can nobody in Hull pronounce Jardiniere, instead insisting upon calling them "Jar-din-air"s? I can understand them pronouncing the "J" wrongly, and getting the vowel sound wrong, but what's the justification for omitting an entire symbol?

The other one, "melamine" wouldn't be quite so bad, were it not for the fact that I have pronounced it properly and been fucking "corrected".

Neville Chamberlain

Shouldn't it be "mis-pronunciation"? It always gets my goat when people say "pronounciation".

A Passing Turk Slipper

That's almost as ironic as rain on your wedding day. I can't fucking stand the Aitch thing but what is even worse than that is that up here in Scotland some people pronounce J (jay) as Ji. That is the only way I can think to spell it but when said it even sounds annoying. I really really hate it when it's pronounced like that.

Raminagrobis

Quote from: "Manford Thirty-Sixborough"
Firstly, why can nobody in Hull pronounce Jardiniere, instead insisting upon calling them "Jar-din-air"s? I can understand them pronouncing the "J" wrongly, and getting the vowel sound wrong, but what's the justification for omitting an entire symbol?

I have no idea what it has to do with Hull, but in French prosody the word 'Jardinière' is counted as three syllables, not four. Cf. Rimbaud's 'Dormeur du val', in alexandrins (12 syllable lines):

C'est un trou de verdure où chante une rivière,
Accrochant follement aux herbes des haillons
D'argent ; où le soleil, de la montagne fière,
Luit : c'est un petit val qui mousse de rayons.

The -ière sound is effectively one syllable. So I'd say that "Jar-din-air" is a better anglicized approximation of the French phoneme (which does not exist in English) than "Jar-din-ee-air" (clearly wrong).

Oh yeah, mispronunciations that annoy me. I don't like it when people say 'harassment' with the stress on the second syllable. But I don't care really, they can say what they like.

Here's one from those pesky sceptics:

Aluminum

even when they spell it aluminium, and every other element in the flipping periodic table ends in -ium, even the ones that they discovered.

I despair, I really do.

Neville Chamberlain

Why is that the majority of people, including Tony Blair, pronounce the word "nuclear" as "nu-cu-lar"?

Now that really gets my goat.

Mind you, I love it when people say "burgle-ry" instead of "burglary", but I reckon that's a South-West thing. Chris Vacher on Points West says it all the time.

Quote from: "Raminagrobis"[

Luit : c'est un petit val qui mousse de rayons.

rayon is my favourite french word, where else would you find a word that can mean:
1. Shaft of light
2. Shelf
3. Cells in Honeycomb

and pretty much anything else in between as far as I can tell.

Lady Beany

I always fuck up the word 'adamant' (that is how you spell it, isn't it?)  I have to stop myself from saying 'adam-ant' or 'adam-nant' every bloody time.  Big brain fart.

Hmmm, I make it look as though I say that word lots and lots.

Abbie

I pronounced 'binoculars' wrong until it was pointed out to me by an ex (I often slip them into conversation) - so now I do it just to annoy people:  

That's right, I said BINOK-CLE-ARS.

butnut

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"Zee.

Well, I was going to mention this, but then stated having a big internal dialogue about whether it was really a mis-pronunciation as it's just their wacky American way. It does piss me off though. I bet they did it just so it rhymes with ABC.

zozman

The classic one - "pacific" arther than "specific".

What the buggery is a Jardiniere when it's at 'ome?

Jemble Fred

Not a mispronunciation (well shut up then. No, you shut up. etc) but it annoys the flesh off me when people say 'should of' instead of 'should have'. A lot of people do it on here, and it seems to be part of the Viz style guide too. I'm sure I was taught the correct way back at Junior school, for heaven's sake.

Quote from: "zozman"The classic one - "pacific" arther than "specific".

I thought it was only Delboy that did that?

Cerys

'Exetera' instead if 'et cetera'.  Usually from people who really should know better.  Grrr.

Lady Beany

Quote from: "Cerys"'Exetera' instead if 'et cetera'.  Usually from people who really should know better.  Grrr.

Guilty as charged m'ledeh!

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"A lot of people do it on here, and it seems to be part of the Viz style guide too. I'm sure I was taught the correct way back at Junior school, for heaven's sake.

Surely you shouldn't expect to look to Viz for acceptable grammar usage?

Piss up a rope, fuckstick.

JesusAndYourBush

Almost everone in the media who use their voice for a living and so should know better all pronounce vulnerable as vunerable.

I hope the "mispronounciation" in the title was irony and not ignorance.

DuncanC

Quote from: "butnut"
Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"Zee.

Well, I was going to mention this, but then stated having a big internal dialogue about whether it was really a mis-pronunciation as it's just their wacky American way. It does piss me off though. I bet they did it just so it rhymes with ABC.
More likely, so they can bolt an E on the front and have a way of saying "easy" that is two whole letters shorter.

Lady Beany

I just heard someone say (pron) 'areolee'.  I thought it was 'areoLA'?  Or does the latter refer to just one?

Yours

Confused, in London.

yeah, aureloa would be just the one. aureloae is both.

Lady Beany

Oh, so THATS how you spell it.  What a dumb-arse I am. Ta muchly!

Paaaaul

Quote from: "Lady Beany"I just heard someone say (pron) 'areolee'.  I thought it was 'areoLA'?  Or does the latter refer to just one?

The plural of areola is areolae and is pronounced ar-e-o-lie.

So there

Capt.Midnight

Ever since a friend pointed out there was no 'P' in the pronunciation of 'Vimto' my life's been a living hell.

morgs

Drawing pronounced as draw-Ring

Privacy now pronounced the U.S. way on the BBC  (to rhyme pri- with why)

Skellington - happens all the time in school

Shaddock

I've noticed that some poeple instead of saying "ask" swap the last two letters around say what sounds like "arks" -- and guess what, I've only noticed it said by a small proportion of black people in London and South East.  Why is this I wonder, I'm stumped.

Then there's the omnipresent "With regards to ..." --  why do these people send "regards"?  What they mean is "with regard to", but they're too thick to realise the difference.

Lt Plonker

My mum still says chimley, bless her.

I once overheard some American tourists pronounce Rainham as Rain-ham, which amused me more than frustrated me. It's great hearing town names and English words being spoken from a fresh perspective.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Cerys"'Exetera' instead if 'et cetera'.  Usually from people who really should know better.  Grrr.
Ooooh, that reminds me of the people who say "asterix" when they mean "asterisk".

It's usually the same people.

Lady Beany

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"

*cough* *red face*

Jet Set Willy

Quote from: "Lady Beany"
Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"

*cough* *red face*

Erm, someone wrote something or provided a link explaing why black people normally say these 'X' words in a different way, can't remember who or when though. Sorry if this comes out wrong!

Lady Beany

Ha! Thats funny!  I am brown though.  Innit.  Rarsclart... or something along those lines.