Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:34:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stupid mis-pronounciations that piss you off

Started by Manford Thirty-Sixborough, June 23, 2004, 01:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

I have a cousin who's name is Taria
And it's pronounced 'Tonya'
Never could figure that one out

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"" It's *spelt* 'Luxury-Yakkcht', but it's pronounced 'Throatwobbler-Mangrove'. "

you a very silly man and i aint not gonna interview you dude

yo classic sketch

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry"
Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"" It's *spelt* 'Luxury-Yakkcht', but it's pronounced 'Throatwobbler-Mangrove'. "
you a very silly man and i aint not gonna interview you dude
:-)

followed by a

Hmmmm.

and a

<wonders if RTR is posting through a jive-filter...>

followed by another

:-)

Crazy Penis

Quote from: "The Unicorn"I think Americans have a tendency to over-pronouce things, pronouncing each letter in turn, like 'E-din-burg' instead of 'Ed-in-bruh' or 'Bir-ming-ham' instead of 'Bir-ming-um'.
I've managed to 'shock' several Americans be telling them that Alnwick is pronounced 'Anick'

Do Americans ever talk about Jesus and stuff? Because if they did have you thought about asking them when the three wise men gave him their presents, why didn't he use one of them to have a shave?

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Quote from: "Crazy Penis"
Do Americans ever talk about Jesus and stuff? Because if they did have you thought about asking them when the three wise men gave him their presents, why didn't he use one of them to have a shave?

Hmmnn, think about this one 5KS. Don't let anybody think you're mad or....or....or stupid.........Think about it ......Yes, it's coming, I'm getting the answer.......It's..................MURR!!!
I will admit that I didn't even know the answer as I was typing that, and it only came to me as I was about to delete my post.

*It is mur isn't it? Just because it sounds like mirror if you're American. Unless there's a rival to Gillette in the U.S. called Frankincent, or Goold?

Crazy Penis

Yes, yes, well done ! I've been tring to post a sweety prize but I've messed up my URLs on freepichosting and it keeps doing a blue chart, so I'll get you one some other time.

Pseudopath

Aaaargh!

NOUGAT is prounounced noo-gah not nugget...

...flippin' chavs.

thomasina

A Channel 4 news reporter mentioned a cause sellebrer tonight.

the hum

I watched with some astonishment that computer war games thingy on BBC2 Eddie Mair was presenting a while back.  Despite the host using the proper pronunciation throughout, this silly oik playing the game continued to refer to "Cataphracts" as "Cateracts".  At one point even the guy doing the voiceover pointed out this guy's amusing stupidity.

Bogey

Quote from: "Cerys"'Exetera' instead if 'et cetera'.  Usually from people who really should know better.  Grrr.

Okay, easy mnemonic here, just remember this lad:

And, since someone arksed, allow me to quote myself, quoting another infinitely more eminent man:

Quote from: "I"
Quote from: "zozman"

Why do black people (yes, all of them in the entire world) say the word "axe" instead of "ask".

This is all getting a bit BNP isn't it?

When the slave traders loaded up their ships with Africans, in order to minimise the chances of organised rebellions, they made sure they mixed the slaves up as much as possible, language-wise.
As a result of this, the slaves formed their own means of communication, based on bits of their own languages, as well as English words they overheard from their captors. This is the origin of the Creole languages of the West Indies.

Quote from: "Melvyn Bragg, in "The Adventure of English""

And still there, but buried deep, are archaic English expressions such as the English seventeenth-century "from" for "since", as in "from when I was a child I could do that", and "aks" for "ask" ("ax" in Old English), "cripsy" for "crispy" - all stewed in with Yoruba, Ibo, Spanish, French, Portuguese and mixed to a language as plaited as any on the planet.

And I know someone, university-educated, who still says "skellington".

I love this kind of thread, and I'm convinced it makes me a Bad Person.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "The Unicorn"I think Americans have a tendency to over-pronouce things, pronouncing each letter in turn, like 'E-din-burg' instead of 'Ed-in-bruh' or 'Bir-ming-ham' instead of 'Bir-ming-um'.
I've managed to 'shock' several Americans be telling them that Alnwick is pronounced 'Anick'

Not quite a mispronunciation, but Americans have an extremely annoying habit of dropping the last word in a location or station name. St James's Park becomes St James, Holland Park becomes Holland, Leicester Square becomes Leicester (or Lychester, or Lie-ster - aha, an annoying mispronunciation). It's made even worse by the fact that a lot of place names are made distinct by their last word, for example Holland is a place, Leicester is a place, Liverpool is a place. You get the idea.

Ronster

Drives me mad when Australians say day-boo for debut

Small thing but you'd be surprised how often it comes up on the news and it grates like hell

This is less a pronunciation thing than an apparent dyslexia thing. Though the guy in question ain't no dyslexic.

Geordie lad in our team, walking through town to our footie match and he spies Pret-A-Manger.
I assume they have them up that way, but anyhow, this soccer-crazy tyke suddenly does a double-take and splutters, 'Fucken hell mon! Look at that shop, Peter Manager!'

I fucking loved that.

Mr Colossal

Brand names always get me... Is it just south wales, or does nobody in the uk reffer to:

Nike as 'Nikee'
adidas as ' A-did-ass'

Um... puma was 'pooma' on the last advert, but that might be jimmy floyds fault.

'Porsha' always gets on my tits too, even if it the correct way of saying it

TraceyQ

"Berningum"

It's  BIRM-ING-HAM you fucking pointless bitch.

Bilko

Americans and their I's

'Sem-eye Final'

'Eye-raq'

zozman

Quote from: "The Boston Crab"This is less a pronunciation thing than an apparent dyslexia thing. Though the guy in question ain't no dyslexic.

Geordie lad in our team, walking through town to our footie match and he spies Pret-A-Manger.
I assume they have them up that way, but anyhow, this soccer-crazy tyke suddenly does a double-take and splutters, 'Fucken hell mon! Look at that shop, Peter Manager!'

I fucking loved that.

Reminds me of a time a few years ago, I was with some mates in Newcastle on the piss for the weekend.  We were walking through town the next morning looking for somewhere we could get some breakfast and a lad called Andy says "there look, we'll get something at that French place up there."  Not seeing any food place nearby, we all look at him with blank faces.  "there look - that place, Le Eater".   "Andy you daft fucker - that says leather.  It's a fucking leather shop".  

Oh how we ridiculed him.

Al Qaeda/Qaida/Qa'ida etc being spelt and pronounced Al Quaeda

mycroft

That woman on Wife Swap last night who kept saying "Lickle" instead of little.

untitled_london

i haven't read thru the 4 pages yet..but i'v held back

i held back pacifically for the reason that it jars me to the point of violence.

i am now sitting here grinding my teeth into dust and probably doing no small amount of damage to my jaw.

there are a bunch of them that have this effect on me..my gf with her dyslexia (clinical not the school drop out version) is a constant source of 'amusement with her foibles.

Bogey

The stupidest person I ever met (at university, natch), liked to talk about those "Suzukemi" and "Yamhawa" motorbikes outside (in a hideous Estuary drawl).

Also, I can't stand a very specific type of woman*, the archetype of which being the grin-on-legs from the Yes! Car! Credit! adverts.
The type that instead of the word "well", will say "wow".

*What? I just haven't seen any gentlemen who fit into that category!

Vermschneid Mehearties

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"Americans and their I's

'Sem-eye Final'

'Eye-raq'

Add 'miniature golf' which they over-pronounce every syllable. "Mi-nieee-eehhh?-tsch-yoooouure Golf." is incorrect, surely.

Yes, we only say 'minit-chure', but I'm confident that it's a better way.

Americans have a tendency to pronounce each syllable in turn, which is why they change "eee" for an "eye" sound. Gits.

untitled_london

i hate it when people say al-you-min-e-um, when clearly the americans are right and it should in fact be al-ooh-min-um.

damn those 17C lazy sods for trying to make it  'fit in' with the resi of the periodic table.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Bogey

It's 'minium here, and 'minum over there (in both spelling and pronunciation).

Americans pronounce syllables more precisely than us for reasons detailed in the Bragg book I cited earlier (re. the ask/axe jobbie). It's good; read it!

Quote from: "Bogey"It's 'minium here, and 'minum over there (in both spelling and pronunciation).

Is it though?  I was talking to an American recently about this and she said she was very surprised when she first saw the word written down ,as it was spelt the proper way rather than the way Americans pronounce it.

untitled_london

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties""aluminium"

Is it spelt "aluminum"?

i'm under the impression that -um'is technically the correct name, however both wiki and this guy poin tout that 1990 saw an official acceptance of the -ium as the defacto standard.

i sahll try and find a link to explain why -ium is not the proper spelling.

Bogey

Wasn't there a row recently about some decision by someone or other in this country to start transatlantically standardizing the spellings of some (or all, I don't know) scientific terms, such as sulphur/sulfur, fœtus/fetus for education?
(with favour to the Americans, of course)

Bogey

Quote from: "sick as a pike"
Quote from: "Bogey"It's 'minium here, and 'minum over there (in both spelling and pronunciation).

Is it though?  I was talking to an American recently about this and she said she was very surprised when she first saw the word written down ,as it was spelt the proper way rather than the way Americans pronounce it.

Well, Dictionary.com is definition-happy for 'um, but says this:
Quote from: "dictionary.com"al·u·min·i·um
n. Chiefly British
Variant of aluminum.
for our style.