Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:10:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Please recommend me some games

Started by EFB, September 28, 2015, 04:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EFB

In about a month's time I'm going to be recovering from surgery, will be on my sofa for about 2 weeks solid and I would like some game recommendations to help me pass the time!

Maybe I'm getting old, but a lot of games look the same to me these days and I have no idea what I'll really enjoy and what I won't.

So here's what I've played that I like, and what I played and hated. What's out there I might enjoy?

Liked:

The Last Of Us
Chrono Trigger
Portal
Portal 2
TF2 (just the odd blast on it, but it's lovely silly fun)
Zelda games, especially Majora's Mask
South Park: The Stick Of Truth
Killer Instinct (the arcade version, the xbox one version looks all generic now)
Star Fox

Hated:

All of those Call Of Duty style things, so anything with Tom Clancy in the title gets a big blerg from me.
Any "realistic" driving sim. I have a car outside.
Mortal Kombat X and Killer Instinct on xbox one, because of the gameplay interrupting slow-mo combo and xray moves
Anything where 12 year olds swear at each other online

falafel

You only need one. The Witcher 3. Done. Looking at your list, even if you're not sure, I'm pretty certain it would go down a storm. I was sceptical but just.... Buy it.

Hangthebuggers

Project zomboid - Isometric zombie survival sim, deep gameplay

Dark Souls - Tough action/RPG with great boss fights

Besiege - Design a machine or vehicle, destroy things with said machine or vehicle

Mount and Blade warband - Sandbox RPG/battle sim

Worms revolution - Worms innit

Company of heroes 1 - Decent WWII strategy game - good multiplayer

I've based these on games I'd recommend rather than your likes, but also avoided things you'd probably dislike.

Consignia

Still Not George

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on September 28, 2015, 06:52:29 PM

Seconding this. It's absolutely nothing like your "likes" but it'll do a better job of persuading you that there's still invention in gaming than anything else. The Viking Conquest expandalone is also brilliant if you've been watching Vikings lately.

I'm partial to 7 Days To Die because I like playing Minecraft in a zombie apocalypse and also because any game where you can get dysentery is automatically a good game.

Also, if you haven't played the new X-COM, for fuck's sake get the new X-COM. Even on console it's a tour de force.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

It's available on every main platform. It's brilliantly optimised. I've played hundreds of hours since its release and I'm only 49% complete.

If I'd known as a child that this game would exist in twenty five years, I'd have killed myself because of the wait. The mechanical variety and environmental factors are unique in the history of video games.

One of my favourite things at the moment is to wander around Afghanistan and Zaire at night shooting out every light bulb and putting out all the fires with a water pistol.

The other day, some guard spotted me sneaking off in a cardboard box and he called his boss on the radio to report it. He told him to stop messing about.

syntaxerror

Quote from: EFB on September 28, 2015, 04:00:40 PM
In about a month's time I'm going to be recovering from surgery, will be on my sofa for about 2 weeks solid and I would like some game recommendations to help me pass the time!

Maybe I'm getting old, but a lot of games look the same to me these days and I have no idea what I'll really enjoy and what I won't.

So here's what I've played that I like, and what I played and hated. What's out there I might enjoy?

Liked:

The Last Of Us
Chrono Trigger
Portal
Portal 2
TF2 (just the odd blast on it, but it's lovely silly fun)
Zelda games, especially Majora's Mask
South Park: The Stick Of Truth
Killer Instinct (the arcade version, the xbox one version looks all generic now)
Star Fox

Hated:

All of those Call Of Duty style things, so anything with Tom Clancy in the title gets a big blerg from me.
Any "realistic" driving sim. I have a car outside.
Mortal Kombat X and Killer Instinct on xbox one, because of the gameplay interrupting slow-mo combo and xray moves
Anything where 12 year olds swear at each other online

what Zelda games haven't you played yet? Play them.

Onken

Another vote for Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain. I'd throw the console edition of Minecraft in as a relaxing way to recover from a surgery. If you have a PS4 Rocket League is still amazing in short stints or playing for hours at a time. They're the three games I have played the most this year.

Hollow

VVVVVV You might not need another one.

brat-sampson

Wither 3'll go you the best part of two weeks tbh. That or Bloodborne are my twins for Game of the Year atm. If you've not tried Dark Souls, that makes a good sub in for Bloodborne depending on available playing options.

Witcher 3 though... Witcher 3.

EFB

Awesome, thanks peeps!

I think it'll be MGS and Witcher 3, probably on PC because the framerate on ps4 looks a bit dodgy on Witcher 3. Should get me through in the absence of the new Star Fox :)

Bhazor

A late recommendation for Until Dawn. Essentially its an interactive horror movie except unlike other interactive movies its a really really good movie. Kind of like a Telltale version of A Cabin in the Woods only its better than both of them.

mook

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on September 28, 2015, 06:52:29 PM

another yep for this - the archery bit alone is worth the fiver or whatever the fuck it costs on steam.

Still Not George

Get Dwarf Fortress, pop a couple of red pills and learn to see the Matrix, and you're set for the next decade or so.

mook

touchingcloth