Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:42:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Book printing

Started by Queneau, October 06, 2015, 11:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queneau

Hello,

I am here for something. Typical.

Can anyone recommend a decent printing company? I want to create an anthology of sorts to include work of some children. It doesn't need to be the best quality but I'm looking for something pretty decent. My current estimate is around 40 pages. Not sure on quantities yet. Also, what is the best software to use to stick something together? InDesign? That's a thing, isn't it?

Any help gratefully etc. etc.

Cerys

Bump

There has to be someone who knows something about this.  Pull your fingers out, you horrible lot, and help the man.

studpuppet

Software - InDesign is the industry standard these days. Printers will expect print-ready hi-res PDFs to print from though.
Printers - really need to know what your requirements are. Hardback or paperback? Are you printing just text or illustrations as well? 4-colour or B&W?

You need to give us a decent brief or we can't realise your dreams...

(Edited to say I've been in book production for twenty years, and bookselling before that)

Queneau

Quote from: Cerys on October 08, 2015, 11:19:46 PM
Bump

There has to be someone who knows something about this.  Pull your fingers out, you horrible lot, and help the man.

Thanks for this. I was about to post a fake hissy fit rant post slagging everyone off.

Quote from: studpuppet on October 09, 2015, 03:54:37 PM
Software - InDesign is the industry standard these days. Printers will expect print-ready hi-res PDFs to print from though.
Printers - really need to know what your requirements are. Hardback or paperback? Are you printing just text or illustrations as well? 4-colour or B&W?

A simple paperback. Will be text and illustrations and in colour.

Quote from: studpuppet on October 09, 2015, 03:54:37 PM
You need to give us a decent brief or we can't realise your dreams...

I have a dream, and the dream is that this will be the best children's anthology of all time. Or just not that worst. That'll be enough.

studpuppet

40pp will just about give you a spine depending on the paper you use, or would your prefer staples and no spine?

Format: Portrait or landscape? what kind of size? A4? Smaller? Larger?

Paper: would your illustrations look better on coated paper or are you after a rougher, uncoated style?

Queneau

Quote from: studpuppet on October 09, 2015, 11:24:09 PM
40pp will just about give you a spine depending on the paper you use, or would your prefer staples and no spine?

Format: Portrait or landscape? what kind of size? A4? Smaller? Larger?

Paper: would your illustrations look better on coated paper or are you after a rougher, uncoated style?

Are you taking the piss out of me? I want to print pictures and words of children!

Seriously though, I have not much clue about these things. No staples. Smaller than A4. A5ish. Portrait, for sure.

Someone pointed me here: http://www.imprint.co.uk/digital/ but I have nothing to compare it with.

holyzombiejesus

These people are based in Manchester but I presume they post. they're cheap, ethical and have always been really nice and professional when I've got stuff printed. You should give them a call, if only for advice.

http://www.marctheprinters.co.uk/

studpuppet

Quote from: Queneau on October 09, 2015, 11:26:38 PM
Are you taking the piss out of me? I want to print pictures and words of children!

Typical fucking creatives - not a clue of what they want and no conception of the real world...

The place you've given a link for is one of many like it these days. They're basically glorified photocopiers - the quality of the print will be fine for what you need, but they probably won't be able to give you the option of a spine as the paper they would use for this (their 'smooth digital') isn't bulky enough to give a spine. Here's a spec for you:

TPS[nb]Trimmed Page Size[/nb]: 216x138mm (portrait)[nb]This is 'Demy' - a nice book size near to A5[/nb]
Ext.: 40pp
Interior: printing 4/4 on 130gsm matt art
Cover: printing 4/0 on 300gsm one-sided artboard plus Gloss/Matt[nb]Delete as applicable[/nb] lamination
Binding: unsewn PB, approx. 4mm spine

A place my company uses is Martins in Berwick - there are a couple of others around the country, but they probably won't offer the same sort of binding possibilities: http://www.martins-the-printers.co.uk

Ps. Marc The Printers ^^^ - doesn't look like they do any more than stapling booklets on the finishing side of things.