Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:16:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Norm Macdonald Thread Over Here

Started by Dr Rock, February 28, 2016, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pdine

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 13, 2018, 09:15:38 AM
ok so I saw a VERY similar one that someone retweeted about Tucker Carlson, I think he's doing a bit.

Peterson is a piker and Carlson is a cunt, but I'm quite prepared to believe that Norm looks up to both of them. He's quite clearly temperamentally of the Right. This doesn't affect how funny he is, for me anyway.

Hank Venture

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 12, 2018, 05:02:05 PM
This is a good point. I haven't read Norm's comments in full, so I'm not going to offer an opinion on them, but it says something about the modern outrage cycle that Trump can go on Fallon, but not MacDonald.

This is the core of it: Hollywood activists have no integrity, no moral codex. They are, above all else, absolutely driven by a lust for fame. It's no surprise that the entertainment industry celebrities are like this; the nature of their work means there will be a selection bias of who are successful or not. Insane narcissists that will cynically exploit their own legitimate status as sexual abuse victims will be more likely to partake in the industry in the first place due to their attention-seeking nature and sharp elbows. They don't really have principles, they only have publicity managers.

See: Jimmy Fallon having Trump on, but cancelling Norm Macdonald. Rose McGowan praising Victor Salva long after the latter was *convicted of child abuse*. Asia Argento sexually abusing an underage boy. Zach Galifianakis refusing to work with Mel Gibson in the Hangover films, a series of movies which stars Mike Tyson, *a convicted rapist*.

Edit: And I'm not a Norm fanboy. I only recently got into him, have seen four or five episodes of his video podcast. I've never seen such a naturally funny man in my life. He doesn't even have to say anything. His insane charisma and face makes him funnier than 98% of comics you see elsewhere.

Mr Faineant

Is he trying to self-sabotage or trying a risky promotional stunt? In the Stern thing he said "you'd have to have Downs-Syndrome not to feel sorry for those women." Why would he say that? He usually says "retarded" so i guess he was trying to avoid that, but specifying Downs-syndrome is surely going to sound worse to most people isn't it?

He's not doing himself any favors by talking like that in his post-scandal remarks when he is presumably supposed to be being sincere (i.e. not joking).

mr. logic

His appearance on the View is really sad. He's popping pills and clearly cut up about it. It's outrageous in all honesty. Why is this type of mob vengence viewed as legitimate?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Mr Faineant on September 13, 2018, 05:56:37 PM
Is he trying to self-sabotage or trying a risky promotional stunt? In the Stern thing he said "you'd have to have Downs-Syndrome not to feel sorry for those women." Why would he say that? He usually says "retarded" so i guess he was trying to avoid that, but specifying Downs-syndrome is surely going to sound worse to most people isn't it?

He's not doing himself any favors by talking like that in his post-scandal remarks when he is presumably supposed to be being sincere (i.e. not joking).

He was joking. It's a long-running joke he does playing on how you're not supposed to say "retarded" anymore, so he says something that sounds just as inappropriate. Particularly unfortunate how they quoted it on The View (and in press) as his serious attempt at contrition. I'm not sure why he was trying to justify it though, should have just admitted he was making a poorly timed joke. I'd like to believe he's messing with them, but it seems he's just clumsily handling it.

Twit 2

Quote from: Hank Venture on September 13, 2018, 01:18:17 PM
Edit: And I'm not a Norm fanboy. I only recently got into him, have seen four or five episodes of his video podcast. I've never seen such a naturally funny man in my life. He doesn't even have to say anything. His insane charisma and face makes him funnier than 98% of comics you see elsewhere.

You're in for such a treat. I'd never heard of him before reading this thread and now he's one of my favourite people of all time, and certainly the funniest person I've ever seen. Check out his show 'Me Doing Standup'!

lankyguy95

I think it would've been great if he'd just turned up on The View and answered like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KQDIkD_BFQ

Twit 2

If you search for Norm on YouTube most of the top results are this 'scandal', instead of his comedy. Depressing.

Jobey

How can anyone read this and not find it even darkly amusing?
https://twitter.com/thr/status/1039941155067256834?s=21
The furious responses are even more amazing.
All the outrage mob won't be able to cope if they dig a little deeper into norms past comments. Holocaust denial, jimmy saville and jerking punks under the queensboro bridge for 15 dollars a man come to mind.
This norm fella. I mean this guy's a real jerk!

Pdine

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 13, 2018, 06:13:24 PM
He was joking. It's a long-running joke he does playing on how you're not supposed to say "retarded" anymore, so he says something that sounds just as inappropriate.

Also a little swipe at Stern I think who used the word 'retarded' in every sentence for decades but then reinvented himself with the help of a GTD guru and now watches his tongue in order to get better guests. Long-time show regular 'Gary the Retard' had to be renamed 'Gary the Conqueror' to make sure Ellen De Generes would come a-calling.

Twit 2

If this gains momentum he could lose out on work, but I think he knows this and did it anyway, like the mad maverick he is. Based on his believable accounts of not being arsed about his gambling losses, he's someone who doesn't mind losing it all Kipling style, especially in service to the purity of comedy. It almost makes up for him liking Peterson.

QDRPHNC

It's interesting watching such a nuanced and somewhat mysterious person as Norm get into something like this.

Hank Venture

People love to be outraged. I should know.

Howj Begg

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 13, 2018, 10:04:56 PM
It's interesting watching such a nuanced and somewhat mysterious person as Norm get into something like this.

Agreed.

I liked Norm's appearance on The View. I liked that he had sympathetic interviewees, and he did, Goldberg, Behar and the other womens were very considerate, deferential, complimentary , even maternal to him. He deserves that. But for me, one of the things I like about Norm is his humanity and profundity. And correct me if I'm wrong but he doesn't talk about his life, thoughts or comedy too much, not in a revealing way. He really opened up here, and it was gratifying to see. Norm is a profound guy (his adoration of Anna Karenina is a massive plus for me lol) and he projects profound feelings - when he takes the time to think about stuff and isn't just on automatic asshole mode, which can be tiring sometimes when it's not funny. Norm is searching for truth, and he feels pain, and he can take it. He'll make even better comedy out of this, I believe. It won't break him. I disagree that he looked broken on the show, I mean his perverse self-destructive recklessness pushed him to come out with the "I barely have consensual sex" line, threatening another offensive defensive. That alone proves he's not down.

And he's learned a few things too. He said some dumb stuff, he is clearly very contrite, and from that contrition comes profundity, humanity and good comedy. I don't think it would do Norm any harm to balance his naivety and cynicism with some awareness of the impact of words on certain groups. He has his new show, and he clearly wants to make something of his late career, so you know, to be more famous than he currently is – which he's aiming for whether he would say he wants it or not – he has to temper some of this thoughts. Obviously he may not translate to a wider audience, it might be hard for more people to 'get' Norm. But that's a different thing.
Norm is I think a self-described Christian, It's clear he thinks about things like that. It's clear he thinks about forgiveness and redemption. He was extending forgiveness to all his audience – new and old – by coming on The View. I think he'll be forgiven. I think in the process more people might discover Norm. I think he'll be a richer comedian (figuratively lol) from this experience.

Cue madhair "he did nothing wrong!" well he misspoke quite badly imho

Quote from: Howj Begg on September 13, 2018, 10:55:43 PM
Agreed.

I liked Norm's appearance on The View. I liked that he had sympathetic interviewees, and he did, Goldberg, Behar and the other womens were very considerate, deferential, complimentary , even maternal to him. He deserves that. But for me, one of the things I like about Norm is his humanity and profundity. And correct me if I'm wrong but he doesn't talk about his life, thoughts or comedy too much, not in a revealing way. He really opened up here, and it was gratifying to see. Norm is a profound guy (his adoration of Anna Karenina is a massive plus for me lol) and he projects profound feelings - when he takes the time to think about stuff and isn't just on automatic asshole mode, which can be tiring sometimes when it's not funny. Norm is searching for truth, and he feels pain, and he can take it. He'll make even better comedy out of this, I believe. It won't break him. I disagree that he looked broken on the show, I mean his perverse self-destructive recklessness pushed him to come out with the "I barely have consensual sex" line, threatening another offensive defensive. That alone proves he's not down.

And he's learned a few things too. He said some dumb stuff, he is clearly very contrite, and from that contrition comes profundity, humanity and good comedy. I don't think it would do Norm any harm to balance his naivety and cynicism with some awareness of the impact of words on certain groups. He has his new show, and he clearly wants to make something of his late career, so you know, to be more famous than he currently is – which he's aiming for whether he would say he wants it or not – he has to temper some of this thoughts. Obviously he may not translate to a wider audience, it might be hard for more people to 'get' Norm. But that's a different thing.
Norm is I think a self-described Christian, It's clear he thinks about things like that. It's clear he thinks about forgiveness and redemption. He was extending forgiveness to all his audience – new and old – by coming on The View. I think he'll be forgiven. I think in the process more people might discover Norm. I think he'll be a richer comedian (figuratively lol) from this experience.

I don't think it is very professional to reveal things he has discussed with you in therapy sessions.

Howj Begg

Quote from: dontrunyoullfall on September 14, 2018, 12:02:07 AM
I don't think it is very professional to reveal things he has discussed with you in therapy sessions.

Lol. I'll take that as a compliment since I just got a first in a psychology degree :P

Small Man Big Horse

Norm is I think a self-described Christian

Well now I think even less of him.

madhair60

I'm just tired of the mass performative outrage. His point was slightly muddied by his wording, but the filthy masses should have the decency to think about it for two seconds. I don't see any reason to respect the controversy around this. He's being lumped in with rapists for fuck's sake. No thought, no nuance.

Again, though, I do agree it could have been worded better, but the response has been so disproportionate (from Twitter, not here).

Ornlu

Norm's new show is up on Netflix now. Dunno about anyone else but it was nowhere to be seen on my homepage, which is pretty weird for a new release. I had to actively search it out. Could be nothing, but who knows?

Sin Agog

Just finished the first four.  Judge Judy was amiable filler, but the other three were classic.  You forgive the old chunk of coal within seconds of the first episode (speaking of which, all doubts dissipated the moment he made Spade repeat that catfish anecdote after the fake ad break).

Sin Agog

By the way, the old NML shows aren't anywhere to be seen.  Seems a bit churlish to take 'em down just because...they've got a similar tone to the new product?

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Ornlu on September 14, 2018, 12:28:36 PM
Norm's new show is up on Netflix now. Dunno about anyone else but it was nowhere to be seen on my homepage, which is pretty weird for a new release. I had to actively search it out. Could be nothing, but who knows?

I was worried they'd just quietly release it but I just went on Netflix and it was the huge video banner at the top for me.

Mr Faineant

Chevy Chase's face during the song is fantastic. Utterly bewildered.

mr. logic

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 14, 2018, 12:28:52 PM
Just finished the first four.  Judge Judy was amiable filler, but the other three were classic.  You forgive the old chunk of coal within seconds of the first episode (speaking of which, all doubts dissipated the moment he made Spade repeat that catfish anecdote after the fake ad break).

I didn't understand that anecdote. How did they end up at the same party?

lankyguy95

Yep, really enjoying this. Do wish it was longer and some of the edits are a bit odd but it's still lots of fun.

Loved the chemistry Norm had with Drew Barrymore and Jane Fonda. Great guests. Plenty of laughs in the Letterman episode ("Adam Eget... still on the show. Heard they had a lot of meetings about you, Adam."). David Spade went a bit overboard on the "how shabby is this?"stuff but still a good episode.

M Night Shyamalan was pretty dull but that's the only one so far. Got the last three, plus the Judge Judy one to go.

Sin Agog

It's got some really excoriating reviews so far.  Can't help but think they're mostly coloured by the most recent Normgate, as it was all pretty top-tier stuff for me (aside from a well-meaning Shyamalan and Judge Judy).  Most of 'em seem to dwell on the weird awkardness of it, but fuxxake these squirrelly little reviewers need to learn to sit in the moment a little bit.  They're probably just confused that it doesn't take place in a car.

up_the_hampipe

The problem I've had since around season 2 of Norm Macdonald Live is that I don't want a Norm talk show. I want season 1 of NML where he's fucking around, doing skits, making obscene jokes, torturing Eget and having occasionally interesting conversation. I could watch that version of the show with any guest, now I have to actually listen to an interview with fuckin Judge Judy.

hedgehog90

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 14, 2018, 11:06:20 PM
The problem I've had since around season 2 of Norm Macdonald Live is that I don't want a Norm talk show. I want season 1 of NML where he's fucking around, doing skits, making obscene jokes, torturing Eget and having occasionally interesting conversation. I could watch that version of the show with any guest, now I have to actually listen to an interview with fuckin Judge Judy.

Yup. There are glimmers of it in season 2, but I can't think of a single episode in season 3 with the same magic.
I don't know if it's age or Xanax, but his energy levels have clearly diminished in the last few years. I find it odd that no one else mentions this as it's clear as night and day to me, old norm and present norm.
I'll eventually get round to the new episodes, but there's not the urgency I felt for the last 2 seasons. I say this is someone who still considers the first season of Norm MacDonald Live the best thing in the realm of comedy. I've probably seen each episode 5 or 6 times now, his Stern and Dennis Miller appearances too.

Mr Faineant

NML was at its best when the guest was merely a prop, a reason for Norm to be there, and something for him to interact with. I think the new show still has an element of that, but it's far more subtle...there is certainly more attention on the guest. Each one, though, I have enjoyed. They all feel light hearted, a bit silly, occasionally hilarious, and just generally good natured. Some of the best parts of NML would not fly on Netflix, with its mass audience...911 jokes, rape jokes, trans jokes, big juicy cock jokes, ass fucking jokes, holocaust denial jokes, etc., which is a shame. I wonder if that's why the podcast was taken down...if some of these Twitter outrage fiends got hold of them, they might make a fuss.

Anyway, 2 thumbs up my ass from me. Good stuff, I hope there are several more seasons.

hedgehog90

Just seen the first 2 episodes and really enjoyed them.
As a standard talk-show, it works very well. Reminds me ever so slightly of The Dick Cavett show kinda, if I had to compare this to anything.
Best to see it as something separate to NML, the relatively short running time is the ideal length for this format.
Although it's not as pure and unspoiled as NML, it's got a lot of heart, and Norm in more of a managerial role works surprisingly well.

Edit:
During the first episode I was amused to see what was written on one of his cards:
- What is your greatest weaknesses?
- What can I do to stop being a Two Pump Chump?
- Where do you see yourself in five years? What about in 500 years?

Edit again:
And the song at the end is wonderful. Don't know why but I really like it.