Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:48:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Norm Macdonald Thread Over Here

Started by Dr Rock, February 28, 2016, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone got any ideas where I might gets my hands on the Norm audio book? I've tried umpteen services and they all said fuck off your not american.

chveik

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 26, 2019, 07:31:30 PM
Anyone got any ideas where I might gets my hands on the Norm audio book? I've tried umpteen services and they all said fuck off your not american.

soulseek

VaginaSimpson

He's my favourite stand up and NML is probably my favourite comedy show of all time. It's embarrassing to me that I've spent half of my time on social media trying to get his attention and failing. I fear he finds me a pain.

I was lucky enough to meet him briefly this year.

Since he has announced his retirement from stand-up is anyone going to fly out to the states to see him live? I'm sick of travelling but I'm considering it.

hedgehog90

Quote from: VaginaSimpson on October 06, 2019, 04:07:58 AMIt's embarrassing to me that I've spent half of my time on social media trying to get his attention and failing. I fear he finds me a pain.

You should probably adopt a more friendly tone, barfeyman362.

Quote from: VaginaSimpson on October 06, 2019, 04:07:58 AMSince he has announced his retirement from stand-up is anyone going to fly out to the states to see him live? I'm sick of travelling but I'm considering it.

Shit, he's retiring? I mean, he never toured overseas so the odds of me seeing him were extremely low, but it still saddens me to think that I'll never get the chance now.
On the bright side, more time for NML?
...Or as Reddit suggests, cancer!

up_the_hampipe

Where did he say that he was retiring? I can't find anything on this.

lankyguy95

He supposedly stated at a couple of recent gigs that he was going to do one more special soon and then retire from stand up.

I know his word is his bond when it comes to blowing a waiter in a bathroom but I can't see him sticking to that, unless he's at death's door.

VaginaSimpson

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 06, 2019, 04:02:13 PM
Where did he say that he was retiring? I can't find anything on this.

It was reported by a few people who went to see him recently (check his Subreddit).

Apparently at another gig he said he was doing a 'Nanette retirement' so he may have changed his mind.

I don't think his health is too good so maybe he's stopping it so he doesn't have to force himself to gobble down fistfuls of Xanax before every show.

https://youtu.be/yrbZxtuUdsQ

There are so so many lines, intonations and facial expressions of unparalleled brilliance, it's hard to describe.

I could list ten things here which are funnier than almost anything other comedians have ever achieved.

grassbath

I have to agree. That particular clip has got to be his greatest ever bit. It's only improved by repeat viewings, knowing what he knows and watching how he slowly drip-feeds and makes a joke of every little bit of information. I remember hearing a clip of a guy on a radio show saying 'you know how when you watch Norm it's kinda hard to stop looking at him?' and I know exactly what he means - he's supernaturally funny. Nobody else could get away with it.

lankyguy95

"You're thinking like Albert Fish now!"

grassbath

The facial expression after 'he was grey in appearance and demeanour.' Don't even know how to describe it.

'Very BAD description...'

Whug Baspin

His control over the atmosphere in the norm live podcasts leads to some truly hilarious moments..,he's certainly on the right side in the war between funny and not.. in sh'allah he lives to a grand old age..

lankyguy95

Is there anything funnier than him saying "..now don't laugh at this next part"?

Hank Venture

Funniest man ever. Just insanely charismatic. He has that fucking gleam in his eye that I dont think I've seen anyone else have, where you start almost laughing before he has said or done anything.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 10, 2019, 07:36:58 PM

There are so so many lines, intonations and facial expressions of unparalleled brilliance, it's hard to describe.

I could list ten things here which are funnier than almost anything other comedians have ever achieved.

I am probably missing something but his plastic surgery seems to be the funniest part of this video.

up_the_hampipe

Today Norm has been threatening Seth Simons (the chap who posted the podcast clip that got Shane Gillis fired from SNL) https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/1182394511936212992

lazyhour

It's not a joke, is it? Norm is siding with the dim-witted racist twat who got fired from SNL. :-(

Twit 2

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 10, 2019, 07:36:58 PM

I remember these moments of realisation in my early stages of realising he's a comic genius. Some of the clips aren't around and the links in the early pages of this thread are dead, but there's still a good amount around that showcases his brilliance. If I had to pick one moment that sums it all up it's the "what?" moment in the Conan turtle joke. It's the most perfect microcosmic explanation of his style.

https://youtu.be/sYgktWhcCCM 2.00 in that clip but you need to watch from the beginning obviously.

It's annoying that twitter has revealed just how many Norm Macdonald fans are utter dipshits and will cheer on his most half thought-through oddly bitter tweets. The man's a comedic genius, and he should log off. Who could possibly give enough of a fuck about the bird poetry guy to the point of half-jokingly threatening him. Get a fucking life. Seriously.

Twit 2

The fact he uses twitter is probably worse than him occasionally coming across as right wing. Neither enough to taint his brilliance, which says a lot for how brilliant he is.

mr. logic

Quote from: grassbath on October 10, 2019, 08:43:35 PM
I have to agree. That particular clip has got to be his greatest ever bit. It's only improved by repeat viewings, knowing what he knows and watching how he slowly drip-feeds and makes a joke of every little bit of information. I remember hearing a clip of a guy on a radio show saying 'you know how when you watch Norm it's kinda hard to stop looking at him?' and I know exactly what he means - he's supernaturally funny. Nobody else could get away with it.

In that clip it's the way he snatches (internally) at the unfortunate double meaning of the word 'gimmick' (as in, a comedian's gimmick, and a serial killer's calling card) and delays long enough to deliver the punchline as an aside to Adam. I've noticed that about Norm. He's like a test opener the way he lets jokes go past him, waiting for the right moment to strike.

momatt

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 10, 2019, 11:04:04 PM
Today Norm has been threatening Seth Simons (the chap who posted the podcast clip that got Shane Gillis fired from SNL) https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/1182394511936212992
Agreeing that racists should occasionally suffer consequences for being a racist is such a low bar, but Norm fails to clear it.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 11, 2019, 02:24:20 PM
Agreeing that racists should occasionally suffer consequences for being a racist is such a low bar, but Norm fails to clear it.

I would assume that Norm didn't see the offending clip or is that aware of Gillis' history, so he just thinks it's a comic getting fired over silly jokes.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: momatt on October 11, 2019, 01:04:42 PM
Great joke, but their reaction is just chuckling, then repeating their favourite lines.
Doesn't really add much.

Yes, that's what they do.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 11, 2019, 03:26:17 PM
I would assume that Norm didn't see the offending clip or is that aware of Gillis' history, so he just thinks it's a comic getting fired over silly jokes.
You think he was aware that the guy got fired but completely unaware of the context? The article (whose author he's now determined to force out of the industry) laid it all out though. I think it's a lot more likely that Norm just agrees with Gillis.

Hank Venture

How are you that much of a bitchass that the only thing you can muster when being offered out by a bloated Xanax addict in his 60s is «weird tweet». Fucking spoken bird poets, man.

*loud ringing in ears*
*sweat pearls forming on forehead and upper lip*
*dry mouth*
*how the fuck did it get so hot*
*vision blurs, you look from the suddenly blinding light of your computer screen to your hands, but all you can see is the face of a fat Canadian that has been the funniest guy going for decades contrasted with your own failed stand up attempts*
*your knees give away*
*desperately grab the desk to stay upright*
*all of a sudden something is constricting your chest, you can't breathe*
*the adrenaline release triggers just enough synapses in your reptile brain to come up with something, anything*
*through a rapidly decreasing field of vision your trembling hands find the keyboard*

weird tweet man

chveik