Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:41:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: Utter Shit on October 17, 2018, 11:49:17 AM
There's a great bit towards the end of I, Partridge where he talks in some detail about an outfit he had planned for some fancy dress thing at the radio station, only to end the anecdote by saying that he woke up on the day in a bad mood so wore his normal clothes instead. Brilliant.

"There were other reasons why spending Christmas on your own is great, but I can't think of them right now"

Ja'moke

I've been relistening to Nomad and the whole segment about Bill Oddie joining him briefly on his walk, and Bill's bird phone (a special phone he uses only to receive updates on rare bird sightings), is ace.

The bit that cracked me up the most was when he revealed Bill hadn't spoken to him in hours, ever since Alan referred to seagulls as "the jackals of the sky," to which he adds "I don't even know what I meant."

Chollis

I could really do with some audio Partridge while at work. Shall I just listen to the audiobooks again?

Utter Shit

I'd massively recommend this interview with Richard Bacon if you haven't heard it - there is a small amount of crossover with the first book (the interview was promoting I, Partridge) but it's mostly original stuff and really, really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7NHIHupjNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq158jRnFN0

gmoney

Alan on the advantages of spending Christmas alone.

"That year I had a glass of beer at 10AM! Imagine that. A glass of beer and a piece of toast on Christmas morn. I didn't finish it - it was horrible"

Cuellar

The whole section on Christmas and Knowing Me Knowing Yule is fantastic.

The 'Christmas Crackers, and Mick Hucknall, because he was, in his words, trying to bang one of them' - the way he says 'trying to bang one of them' had me in fits.

Captain Z

What other snippets of audio-only Partridge exist? Not including On The Hour, KMKYWAP and the books. It would be nice to have them all in a compilation.

The Day Today DVD 'conspiracy theories' clip
Richard Bacon Interview
Radio 4 Inheritance Tracks

...?

Jobey

Quote from: Utter Shit on October 18, 2018, 10:08:16 AM
I'd massively recommend this interview with Richard Bacon if you haven't heard it - there is a small amount of crossover with the first book (the interview was promoting I, Partridge) but it's mostly original stuff and really, really good.

10 on 10

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Captain Z on October 18, 2018, 11:27:28 AM
What other snippets of audio-only Partridge exist? Not including On The Hour, KMKYWAP and the books. It would be nice to have them all in a compilation.

The Day Today DVD 'conspiracy theories' clip
Richard Bacon Interview
Radio 4 Inheritance Tracks

...?

I did something like this recently. Cut out all the Partridge bits from OTH, got the IAP and KMKY commentaries, a bootleg audience recording from series 2 of IAP, TDT audio chats, loads of radio interviews, celeb interviews, I made some mp3s of videos like the Clive Anderson interview and Comic Relief segments too so I could bung them on my mp3 player. I'll upload them somewhere.

Captain Z

Yes please, that would be great. Partridge audio is the most effective thing to fall asleep to (in the nicest possible way).

Utter Shit

BeardFaceMan

Here's the full list to keep you moist until later -

I'm Alan Partridge - Series 1 - TV Commentaries                       
I'm Alan Partridge - Series 2 - TV Commentaries                       
I'm Alan Partridge Series 2 Bootleg (24.05.02)                       
Knowing Me, Knowing You - TV Commentaries                             
On The Hour - Series 1 - Alan Partridge                               
On The Hour - Series 2 - Alan Partridge                               
The Day Today DVD Extras                                             
Alan Partridge - Alpha Papa - Commentary.mp3                         
Alan Partridge - BAFTA Tech Awards 1994.mp3                           
Alan Partridge - Brit Awards.mp3                                     
Alan Partridge - British Comedy Awards 2000 (Elton John).mp3         
Alan Partridge - Comic Relief 2005 (The Milky Bar Kid).mp3           
Alan Partridge - Comic Relief 2017.mp3                               
Alan Partridge - Inheritance Tracks.mp3                               
Alan Partridge - Interviewed by Clive Anderson.mp3                   
Alan Partridge - Jonathan Ross 2011.mp3                               
Alan Partridge - Live From The Lighthouse (Simon Pegg and Noel Gallagher).mp3                     
Alan Partridge - Message To The Irish (Alpha Papa).mp3               
Alan Partridge - On Free Speech.mp3                                   
Alan Partridge - On The Royal Baby.mp3                               
Alan Partridge - Publisher's Office.mp3                               
Alan Partridge - Radio 4 Today with Will Gompertz.mp3                 
Alan Partridge - Richard Bacon Interview (5 Live 2011 Oct 06).mp3     
Alan Partridge - Roger Daltery Interview.mp3                         
Alan Partridge - Sport Relief 2016.mp3                               
Alan Partridge - The Big Snog 1996 (& Pauline Calf).mp3               
Alan Partridge - The Election Night Armistice.mp3                     
Alan Partridge - The Man Who Thinks He's It.mp3                       
On The Hour - Newsbanger - Alan Partridge.mp3   

Just realised the stand up from the ...Other Less Successful Characters tour isnt there. Probably have to PM for the link to this too, theres some commercially available stuff in there.

QDRPHNC

I've often thought about trimming MMM into an audio-only format, make it sound like an actual radio show. You'd some of the good behind-the-scenes stuff tho.

hermitical

magval

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 18, 2018, 02:51:57 PM

I'm Alan Partridge Series 2 Bootleg (24.05.02)                       

What's this?

Edit: Didn't occur to me to look up

Malcy

Brilliant stuff. Looking forward to hearing that bootleg!

BeardFaceMan

Can't even remember where I got the bootleg from, probably Soulseek back when IAP S2 was being broadcast. There's a text file that says -

The following clips are from a bootleg recording of the studio session for Show 2 of the second series of I'm Alan Partridge. The full bootleg covers the first 75 minutes of the session. This yielded the first eight minutes of the edited show! This page features streamable Flash audios of the various set-ups and takes in real time so you can hear how it's done. We've not bothered including most of Gordon Southern's between-takes warm-up stuff because, well, that would just be ridiculous.

Clip 1 - 6'50"
Gordon Southern's initial warm-up. "You've got to laugh your heads off", he says. So blame him... Line Producer Adam Tandy can be heard towards the end.

Clip 2 - 3'52"
Radio Norwich: played in on VT. Contains lots of extra dialogue cut from transmission.

Clip 3 - 4'13"
Steve Coogan in character as Alan Partridge introduces himself and co-characters Lynne, Michael and Sonia to the audience.

Clip 4 - 6'17"
Alan's House: first take. Some extra dialogue, alternate lines, fluffed delivery and prompting from Tandy. Problems occur as Michael enters.

Clip 5 - 11'43"
Alan's House: a retake of the entire scene and a few takes of the 'walk-through' to the Static Home.

Clip 6 - 5'13"
Static Home: first take. Some extra dialogue. Odd repeated fluffs towards the end.

Clip 7 - 6'13"
Static Home: various retakes, jamming around the script a bit. The retake of Michael's 'shagging' mime gets halted, to the audience's amused dismay.

Clip 8 - 3'52"
Static Home: more retakes. Michael's mime retaken.

Clip 9 - 1'34"
Alan's House - Sonia and the builders: First take, which doesn't get very far.

Clip 10 - 3'33"
Alan's House - Sonia and the builders: second take, far more substantial. Features lots of unused dialogue.

Clip 11 - 1'08"
Security check / Book signing: played in on VT. Features unused dialogue. There would have been more but the Minidisc died...

Link is ready to go so probably best to send me PMs if you want it.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 18, 2018, 05:15:05 PM
I've often thought about trimming MMM into an audio-only format, make it sound like an actual radio show. You'd some of the good behind-the-scenes stuff tho.

There was an iPhone app called Radio Alan which was along those lines. You could feed it a playlist and you'd essentially have a looping radio show with Alan presenting your music. It would also recognise if you had any of the tracks he introduced in the series and played that link before it played.

Was taken down from the store ages ago though. Shame.

Maurice Yeatman

Coogan as Partridge did three messages for AOL way back in the day. I wish I'd saved them.

From memory, the first one was when you connected to AOL: Welcome to AOL! You're connected. The 'you're connected' was said with a bit of a chuckle in his voice.
Second one was an email alert: You've got mail... so, read it.
Third was when logging off: That's it... goodbye.

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on October 18, 2018, 09:42:22 PM
Coogan as Partridge did three messages for AOL way back in the day. I wish I'd saved them.

From memory, the first one was when you connected to AOL: Welcome to AOL! You're connected. The 'you're connected' was said with a bit of a chuckle in his voice.
Second one was an email alert: You've got mail... so, read it.
Third was when logging off: That's it... goodbye.

Yeah I had those. It made the pain of being with AOL somewhat les.......nah who am I kidding, they were utter shit.

Chollis

Quote from: Utter Shit on October 18, 2018, 10:08:16 AM

Wonderful, thanks.

BeardFaceMan

PMs are all out now, apart from someone who emailed me directly with an old email address that didnt work when I replied, so if that was you who sent an email and didnt get a reply, send me a PM here instead. Enjoy!

Utter Shit

Oliver Mardy

MMM when the call-in topic is things you wouldn't do for love (based on the Meatloaf song). There's some quick one-line responses from various callers, but I love the tone of voice of the characters who say these:
"Give kidney."
"Renounce Christ."

DrGreggles

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 18, 2018, 08:08:38 PM
Can't even remember where I got the bootleg from, probably Soulseek back when IAP S2 was being broadcast. There's a text file that says -

The following clips are from a bootleg recording of the studio session for Show 2 of the second series of I'm Alan Partridge. The full bootleg covers the first 75 minutes of the session. This yielded the first eight minutes of the edited show! This page features streamable Flash audios of the various set-ups and takes in real time so you can hear how it's done. We've not bothered including most of Gordon Southern's between-takes warm-up stuff because, well, that would just be ridiculous.

Clip 1 - 6'50"
Gordon Southern's initial warm-up. "You've got to laugh your heads off", he says. So blame him... Line Producer Adam Tandy can be heard towards the end.

Clip 2 - 3'52"
Radio Norwich: played in on VT. Contains lots of extra dialogue cut from transmission.

Clip 3 - 4'13"
Steve Coogan in character as Alan Partridge introduces himself and co-characters Lynne, Michael and Sonia to the audience.

Clip 4 - 6'17"
Alan's House: first take. Some extra dialogue, alternate lines, fluffed delivery and prompting from Tandy. Problems occur as Michael enters.

Clip 5 - 11'43"
Alan's House: a retake of the entire scene and a few takes of the 'walk-through' to the Static Home.

Clip 6 - 5'13"
Static Home: first take. Some extra dialogue. Odd repeated fluffs towards the end.

Clip 7 - 6'13"
Static Home: various retakes, jamming around the script a bit. The retake of Michael's 'shagging' mime gets halted, to the audience's amused dismay.

Clip 8 - 3'52"
Static Home: more retakes. Michael's mime retaken.

Clip 9 - 1'34"
Alan's House - Sonia and the builders: First take, which doesn't get very far.

Clip 10 - 3'33"
Alan's House - Sonia and the builders: second take, far more substantial. Features lots of unused dialogue.

Clip 11 - 1'08"
Security check / Book signing: played in on VT. Features unused dialogue. There would have been more but the Minidisc died...

Link is ready to go so probably best to send me PMs if you want it.

Thanks

rm2kmaster

Quote from: gmoney on October 18, 2018, 11:13:22 AM
Alan on the advantages of spending Christmas alone.

"That year I had a glass of beer at 10AM! Imagine that. A glass of beer and a piece of toast on Christmas morn. I didn't finish it - it was horrible"

"I chortled when I thought of what the ball and chain have said. Stupid cow"

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Discussing someone's recovery from alcohol in I, Partridge

"I'm pleased to say he's barely touched a drop! apart from wine"

Shoulders?-Stomach!

"Well Gary Newbon went s*****c, tore off his jacket, ripped his shirt off, pounding at his belly and tits, shouting 'Come on then, come on then'"

"You could see Gary behind the camera, slumped in his chair, covered in tears, but needless to say: I had the last laugh."

Shoulders?-Stomach!

"Join the fucking queue mate, I said- with my eyes."

gmoney

"Pounding at his belly and tits"

Such a fantastic bit of phrasing.