Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:01:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

The section on Gatwick airport in Nomad:

"It's the London airport it's okay to like. Stansted, or Stanstead, or Standstead, or Standsted as it's variously known, is an arrogant upstart. City Aiport? Full of bankers. London Luton isn't in London and is barely in Luton; and Heathrow is just an absolute tit of an airport. No, Gatwick is the place to be."

The way he says tit makes it.

rm2kmaster

"It's funny that she's called Sue Cook when she can't cook, but she will sue."

Utter Shit

Quote from: Ja'moke on October 22, 2018, 02:17:00 PM

"It's the London airport it's okay to like. Stansted, or Stanstead, or Standstead, or Standsted as it's variously known, is an arrogant upstart. City Aiport? Full of bankers. London Luton isn't in London and is barely in Luton; and Heathrow is just an absolute tit of an airport. No, Gatwick is the place to be."

Can't remember who it is, but his line about a fellow minor celeb spotting him and going "FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE?"...Christ that is good.

rm2kmaster

Quote from: Utter Shit on October 23, 2018, 03:25:30 PM
Can't remember who it is, but his line about a fellow minor celeb spotting him and going "FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE?"...Christ that is good.

Nick Knowles

Cuellar

He really is the go to celeb for evoking...something slightly desolate. C.f. Athletic Mince and the Beardsley Tales.

NICK KNOWLES!

QDRPHNC

I think The Gatwick Candidate might be my favourite chapter in Nomad, just the perfect mix of funny and bleak.

Although the end of the preceding chapter needs to be mentioned, when he walks 160 miles out of his way to visit the agent at home and then he's not in... "That's fine!"

Cuellar

Describing a booze influenced sleep as 'grolschy' is an excellent way of putting it.

Ferris

Quote from: rm2kmaster on October 23, 2018, 03:27:11 PM
Nick Knowles

"PLANT ONE ON HIM, KNOWLESY! LAY 'IM OUT!" But Knowles didn't plant one on him. He pretended not to know me, and sauntered off.

Or something.

I also like that the line about him not presenting "D.I.Y S.O.S unless he was S.L.O.S.H.E.D (sloshed)."

Edit to stop getting Partridge wrong.

Ja'moke

Quote from: rm2kmaster on October 23, 2018, 03:27:11 PM
Nick Knowles

"He's a big man with a craggy face and an ease among labourers and tradesmen that suggests, if the mood took him, he could summon them like Tarzan summons the animals and have them take you to pieces, violence-wise."

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 23, 2018, 04:20:51 PM
I also like that the line about him not presenting "D.I.Y S.O.S unless he was P.I.S.S.E.D: pissed"

It's actually S.L.O.S.H.E.D (sloshed). Which is even funnier.

Ferris

Quote from: Ja'moke on October 23, 2018, 04:22:44 PM
It's actually S.L.O.S.H.E.D (sloshed). Which is even funnier.

I stand corrected (said the man in the orthopaedic shoes)

Captain Z

It's actually "D.I.Y.S.L.O.S.H.E.D. (sloshed)"

Ferris

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: rm2kmaster on October 23, 2018, 03:19:58 PM
"It's funny that she's called Sue Cook when she can't cook, but she will sue."

Brilliant.

'Bladacker' - when he's nervous on Live TV

Enzo

Quote from: Ja'moke on October 22, 2018, 02:17:00 PM

Also in Anglian lives he says his favourite place in the world is Gatwick Village.

New Jack

"The Eighties', delivered in a way to, somehow, make  the decade sound like it's scary

magval

Did anyone mention the way he says "nestle" instead of Ness-lay when he's talking to the Milky Bar Kid? Cause that's funny.

DrGreggles

Quote from: magval on October 24, 2018, 10:49:37 AM
Did anyone mention the way he says "nestle" instead of Ness-lay when he's talking to the Milky Bar Kid? Cause that's funny.

But it IS "Nessels" and not "Nesslay", as per the original Milky Bar jingle!

magval

Ah shite. As always, context and explanation have made a thing much less funny than its face-value appropriation.

Thanks* Dr Greggles

*FOR NOTHING

Utter Shit

Listening to those IAP commentaries now, there are some fantastic lines throughout. At one point Alan says that he didn't include Denise and Fernando in the show (in case you don't know, the commentaries suggest that IAP is a dramatic re-enactment of real events) because he "didn't want to give them the oxygen of publicity".

DrGreggles

Quote from: magval on October 24, 2018, 12:37:42 PM
Ah shite. As always, context and explanation have made a thing much less funny than its face-value appropriation.

Thanks* Dr Greggles

*FOR NOTHING

gilbertharding

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 24, 2018, 11:03:36 AM
But it IS "Nessels" and not "Nesslay", as per the original Milky Bar jingle!

It WAS pronounced 'Nessels', in Britain. They went along with our inability to cope with foreign language for quite a while. I reckon the 80s was when they decided to put their foot down. Around the same time they (the same people) decided the small black coffee was definitely eSSpresso and not eXpresso, and only common people ate in 'Kaffs'.

There's something funny about persisting in calling it Nessels though.

Chollis

"i haven't been this angry since the 9/11 debacle"
perfect

DoesNotFollow

"Over Maxwell's there was a painting of a topless female biker, her hair flailing in the wind, her nipples standing to attention like a couple of boob soldiers".

From I, Partridge. Listening to Nomad for the second time today (was underwhelmed first time round but am enjoying it much more now) and any time Alan says "sandwiches" is also joyous.

kalowski

"I like a man who knows who he is."
"I'm Alan Partridge. Carry on."

Also includes the great lines:
"Who's Montgomery?"
"The man who masterminded the battle of El-Alamain."

"I thought you were sexy. I don't now, you're a bloke. I've a good mind to knock your block off!"

Ferris

QDRPHNC

I was thinking the other day that, as brilliant at the books / audiobooks are, they would be improved slightly by being just a touch less on-the-nose in some circumstances.

The one quote that jumped out at me was when he's talking about the military in I Partridge, and it's something alongs the lines of, "whether they're [doing something heroic] or [doing something heroic] or making pyramids out of prisoners, those guys are all heroes."

Which is funny, but too knowing and subversive to be realistically Alan.

Darkplace steps over that line too, although much more often. It gets a laugh, but at the price of it's own internal integrity.

Edit: While I'm here, "They're not dirty, they're unwashed. Big difference, sweetheart."

Ferris

"Braver than ten firemen... or a dozen policemen"

Ja'moke

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 29, 2018, 05:43:20 PM
Edit: While I'm here, "They're not dirty, they're unwashed. Big difference, sweetheart."

That part is hilarious. When he's trying to tell them to put the Sport Relief banner down but they can't understand what he's saying, and so he tries to tell them in a friendlier manner: "Get rid of the banner. Now."

Tony Yeboah

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 24, 2018, 02:36:28 PM
It WAS pronounced 'Nessels', in Britain. They went along with our inability to cope with foreign language for quite a while. I reckon the 80s was when they decided to put their foot down. Around the same time they (the same people) decided the small black coffee was definitely eSSpresso and not eXpresso, and only common people ate in 'Kaffs'.

There's something funny about persisting in calling it Nessels though.
Why do they have to change things? It's not Scope, it's The Spastics Society.

kalowski