Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:36:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Ricky Gervais Netflix Shitfest [split topic]

Started by The Lion King, May 07, 2018, 06:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 15, 2018, 08:11:48 AM
Any examples of this?
I had no problems with Christopher Hitchens' stance on that issue either, to be honest.

there's literally years of it on his twitter, of shallow, oafish, repetitive scoffing, superseded by kindness and more recently offence

ieXush2i

I think virgo is being sarcastic about gervais's unavoidable adolescent atheism proclamations, which have now been superseded by trans people and "millennials" as his bogeymonsters

St_Eddie

Quote from: (Ex poster) on May 15, 2018, 08:45:00 AM
I think virgo is being sarcastic about gervais's unavoidable adolescent atheism proclamations, which have now been superseded by trans people and "millennials" as his bogeymonsters

Nope.  @virgo was scoffing at us lot for mocking Gervais, earlier in the thread.  If he/she isn't even aware of Gervais' ceaseless atheism prattle, then it probably goes a long way to explaining their bafflement at the rest of us having a pop at Gervais' behaviour.  Either that, or @virgo has never seen Derek, which would be a very fortunate thing indeed.

Thomas

Frankie Boyle, himself an atheist, nominated 'celebrity atheists' for Room 101, perhaps for the same reasons that Cuellar lists it as one of Gervais' cons.

Cuellar

Any examples of this?
I had no problems with Christopher Hitchens' stance on that issue either, to be honest.

Yeah what Jumblegraws said. I'm not anti-atheism.

Jumblegraws

Any examples of this?
I find it strange that you are defending Gervais but don't seem aware of the reputation he's built up as a celebrated/reviled (depending on who you ask) proponents on atheism, but since you asked:
Crudely conflating "atheism" with "scientific enquiry" or enlightened principles generally

I've looked up the stats on that last one numerous times and so far as I can tell, he pulled them directly out of his arse.

As for repetition of atheist witticisms to the point they lose their heft, just pick any tweet on the matter, it's almost certain he's been repeating it periodically since the beginning of the decade. I actually think it's worth banging the drum for irreligion, but if he's going to sink so much time into chasing twitter reactions he'd do the cause more favours by having a bit more range, maybe taking on specific points of religious apologia or something.

Virgo76

Quote from: (Ex poster) on May 15, 2018, 08:45:00 AM
No!

"Nope.  @virgo was scoffing at us lot for mocking Gervais, earlier in the thread.  If he/she isn't even aware of Gervais' ceaseless atheism prattle, then it probably goes a long way to explaining their bafflement at the rest of us having a pop at Gervais' behaviour.  Either that, or @virgo has never seen Derek, which would be a very fortunate thing indeed."
Closer. I am aware of his atheism, I just don't object to it. Like most people, I've been exposed to far more religious prattle than I have the atheist variety.
Just watched Derek for the first time too and guess what? It's generally pretty good. i'd been put off before by the popular charge that it  mocks disabled people. It doesn't.
That said, he clearly overuses Twitter somewhat. Unlike you lot, however, I don't spend hours trawling through his twitter feed.
And The Office is brilliant. One of the best comedies of the century so far.

It's clear that YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKING GIMPS pay far too much attention to the things he says and does on public platforms when it comes to forming an opinion of him.

Cuellar

The Office is in many ways excellent (the homophobic bullying of Gareth sits uneasy when you look back on it), and it's probably the fact that it was so good that is the cause of the present day fascination with his downfall.

What happened??

Virgo76

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 15, 2018, 09:54:03 AM
It's clear that YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKING GIMPS pay far too much attention to the things he says and does on public platforms when it comes to forming an opinion of him.

Quite.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 15, 2018, 09:48:34 AM
No!

"Nope.  @virgo was scoffing at us lot for mocking Gervais, earlier in the thread.  If he/she isn't even aware of Gervais' ceaseless atheism prattle, then it probably goes a long way to explaining their bafflement at the rest of us having a pop at Gervais' behaviour.  Either that, or @virgo has never seen Derek, which would be a very fortunate thing indeed."
Closer. I am aware of his atheism, I just don't object to it. Like most people, I've been exposed to far more religious prattle than I have the atheist variety.
Just watched Derek for the first time too and guess what? It's generally pretty good. i'd been put off before by the popular charge that it  mocks disabled people. It doesn't.
That said, he clearly overuses Twitter somewhat. Unlike you lot, however, I don't spend hours trawling through his twitter feed.
And The Office is brilliant. One of the best comedies of the century so far.

It does mock disabled people, just not (so much) in the playground, Joey Deacon-impression way. It treats disabled people as detached vessels for qualities we think think of as childlike and innocent, existing only to comfort the able-bodied when day-to-day cynicism starts to get them down. Except of course Derek is a selfish, vindictive little shit in spite of what the talking heads tell you, so the show tries to use retrograde ableist tropes and then manages to fail at that.

Edit to add: and lest we forgot, Gervais didn't even have the guts to explicitly identify Derek as disabled, despite the show's naturalistic trappings, underlining this with a disingenuous little merry dance around the issue of labels in the first episode of the series proper.

Jumblegraws

accidentally quoted myself when i was trying to modify a previous comment, nothing to see here.

Sin Agog

There are a few instances in the XFM recordings of Gervais putting on the Derke voice whenever he wanted to mock brainless callers.  Derke: The Series is little more than a platform for that voice.

Cuellar

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 15, 2018, 10:05:46 AM
There are a few instances in the XFM recordings of Gervais putting on the Derke voice whenever he wanted to mock brainless callers.  Derke: The Series is little more than a platform for that voice.

To say nothing of his stand up shows that feature an annoying autograph hunter with smoothed down hair, hunched shoulders, jutting jaw, and 'messed up' DNA.

Derek is a naked attempt to redeem himself from those earlier transgressions. Which would be admirable if it wasn't so fucking patronising and hamfistedly done. All it would have taken was an apology. But that doesn't really fit with his 'brand' of course.

Virgo76

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 15, 2018, 10:05:46 AM
Derke: The Series is little more than a platform for that voice.
Except if you watch Derek, it clearly isn't. Not sure why your spelling it "Derke".

"Derek is a selfish, vindictive little shit"
Eh? Is he? Why? Or are you talking about Gervais?

Has there been a better UK sitcom than The Office this century then? Peep Show perhaps. Not even sure about that.

UPDATE: Gervais has deleted the "I identify as black" tweet

Cuellar

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 15, 2018, 10:17:39 AM
Except if you watch Derek, it clearly isn't. Not sure why your spelling it "Derke".

Has there been a better UK sitcom than The Office this century then? Peep Show perhaps. Not even sure about that.

I don't think we need to rake over the ways in which Derek is an areshole again, but I will say this. Anyone who genuinely cared about the residents in that home wouldn't let Kev within 10 miles of it.

Ornlu

The thread from when it was first broadcast has a lot of CaBbers (CaBBers? CaBers?)' exhaustive commentary on the multitudes of things wrong with it: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,34436.0.html

I'd suggest a page, but honestly, take your pick.

Virgo76

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 15, 2018, 09:54:03 AM

I missed the sarcasm here.
Probably because reading Twitter feeds obsessively, really isn't a good way to form an opinion of them or their work.

Virgo76

Quote from: Cuellar on May 15, 2018, 10:38:16 AM
I don't think we need to rake over the ways in which Derek is an areshole again, but I will say this. Anyone who genuinely cared about the residents in that home wouldn't let Kev within 10 miles of it.

I didn't get the impression this was Derek's decision.

Is it possible that Cook'd and Bomb'd is just being implicitly racist about famous black comedian Ricky Gervais?

Cuellar

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 15, 2018, 10:42:00 AM
I didn't get the impression this was Derek's decision.

Well why doesn't he ask the manager to ban Kev. Why doesn't he tell Kev himself that it's not on. Why does he put an elderly resident in a headlockWhy does he get angry when a lady with dementia walks into his shotWhy does anything happen in that terrible terrible place

Jumblegraws

Interferes with the family matters of residents and their relatives, causing unncessary escalation of related arguments. Greedily uses food and resources intended for residents, hogs the TV, rudely shoos residents who intrude on his camera time. Ties up the emergency services over ailing baby birds because he thinks his childish concerns should be a priority. Physically attacks a member of staff in disproportionate response to said staff member's attack on a friend. Forces staff and residents to wrestle with him despite their patent discomfort. Knows how much Hanna values his company and uses threats of abandonment in order to interfere with her managerial duties in the Xmas special. Ruins Kev's Duran Duran play. Endangers residents by distracting the bus driver for the sake of indulging his insipid blather. Shagged a dog. Prematurely announced Hanna's preganancy, breaking 12 week rule, so that he could be centre of attention. Frustrated and embarrassed a friend by pretending not to get a joke for his own amusement. Bogarted someone's Happy Meal.

I could go on, but you should really just dip into any of the Derek threads here, although I reccommend the series 2 one in particular.
Also, spoiler alert.

Virgo76

Quote from: Cuellar on May 15, 2018, 10:45:46 AM
Well why doesn't he ask the manager to ban Kev. Why doesn't he tell Kev himself that it's not on. Why does he put an elderly resident in a headlockWhy does he get angry when a lady with dementia walks into his shotWhy does anything happen in that terrible terrible place

I don't know. It's almost as if it doesn't occur to him to do so. You'd almost think he had learning difficulties or something.

dirkgonnadirk

the office is great. stephen merchant wrote a great show!

i'll take peep show over it for the same reasons i take the US office over it - longevity. even though both become naff, there's more excellent episodes.

even just S1+S2 of peep show v the office is pretty close.

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 15, 2018, 10:51:45 AM
It's almost as if it doesn't occur to him to do so. You'd almost think he had learning difficulties or something.

Derek is a fictional character whose decisions are decided upon by an author. He's not a real person with a real psychology.

Thomas

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 15, 2018, 10:51:45 AM
I don't know. It's almost as if it doesn't occur to him to do so. You'd almost think he had learning difficulties or something.

Careful - an evil doctor turns up in one episode with similar notions, evilly trying to help facilitate the best care for Derek, much to Hannah's chagrin.

Hannah also lets Kev stay.

Virgo76

Quote from: Jumblegraws on May 15, 2018, 10:49:36 AM
Interferes with the family matters of residents and their relatives, causing unncessary escalation of related arguments. Greedily uses food and resources intended for residents, hogs the TV, rudely shoos residents who intrude on his camera time. Ties up the emergency services over ailing baby birds because he thinks his childish concerns should be a priority. Physically attacks a member of staff in disproportionate response to said staff member's attack on a friend. Forces staff and residents to wrestle with him despite their patent discomfort. Knows how much Hanna values his company and uses threats of abandonment in order to interfere with her managerial duties in the Xmas special. Ruins Kev's Duran Duran play. Endangers residents by distracting the bus driver for the sake of indulging his insipid blather. Shagged a dog. Prematurely announced Hanna's preganancy, breaking 12 week rule, so that he could be centre of attention. Frustrated and embarrassed a friend by pretending not to get a joke for his own amusement. Bogarted someone's Happy Meal.

I could go on, but you should really just dip into any of the Derek threads here, although I reccommend the series 2 one in particular.
Also, spoiler alert.

Just being silly now aren't we?