Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:15:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Beatles' Revolution 9

Started by Emergency Lalla Ward Ten, November 23, 2005, 01:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I beginning to think there may be part of that feel with the triple '69 Love Songs' by Magnetic Fields, since some songs are great, some sound like filler and some are obvious throwaway novelties.  
I've still yet to hear the whole thing in chronolgical order, though, so it's hard to tell whether there's a definite beginning, middle and end, or whether it's just a grand statement of 'here's everything we recorded during the sessions'.

dan dirty ape

Yeah, that's a good example. I remember being impressed reading the pre-release press about that album that someone had written 69 love songs in varying styles and was about to release them. That kind of ambition just arouses my interest. You're right, the album's a curate's egg, but how could it not be? I love the fact he did it.

Right now, I like the idea behind the album more than the album itself.  It reminds me of the previously mentioned 'Sandinista!' in the way that we've been given everything without any regard for quality control.  

I have '69 Love Songs' programmed into my Lastfm player, so at present, I'm only hearing the songs as and when they pop up.  Even though I'm not keen on huge chunks of it, I'm feeling I might just have to buy one anyway, so I can hear it as a whole, in the proper order - it'll help me get a better view of it, I think.

Derek Trucks

I probably treasure 69 more than I do any other album released this decade (though I think it came out in '99 in the US).  For me, apart from very few obvious fillers they're all fully fledged songs that work extremely well as a group.  A good example of a truly unique record.

mayer

Quote from: "Paaaaul"
Quote from: "mayer"

Actually, I don't mind so long as both versions remain available. But I get the sinking feeling that, if the Beatles back catalogue is ever remastered and reissued properly, the original version of Let It Be will be deleted. Same with the original Yellow Submarine.

Starting in 1963 the original Beatles recordings will star becoming Public Domain (I think), due to the 50 year copyright thing, so I imagine a remastering/rejigging will be on the cards in the next 10 years or so.

I never said that!

I don't mind as long as both versions remain available, and I'm convinced that in the 21st Century they both will be. If anything, Let It Be... Naked will be the one to go out of print/issue.

Paaaaul

Sorry! fuckup with my quotes , shoulda been Lalla, will edit!

-BUMP-

This seems as good a place as any. In Doctor Who's 45th birthday week, it's also the 40th anniversary of The Beatles: The Beatles - AKA The White Album. I bloody love this album. I won't go into why, it's a whole essay's worth, although I'll just mention that recently I've been getting my boyfriend into the Beatles an album at a time, and talking to him about The White Album makes me remember why I love it so much (not to mention why I love him so much).

Anyway, there's a one hour Radio 2 documentary on the subject here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00fnmcj/40th_Anniversary_of_the_White_Album/
QuoteThe producers and technicians who worked alongside The Beatles provide an insight into the making of an album which marked the beginning of the end for the band.

Discuss.

edit: First tagger - yes, fair point :o)

BJB

I'll be another one to say that it really works because of its length. I don't agree with George Martin when he says it should have been edited down to a single album.

PAUL: You can play pub bore games, but at the end of the day, its the bloody Beatles white album. Shut up!*

Best tracks: While My Guitar Gently Weeps- I really disagree with Ian McDonald, who reckoned the song was overblown. Not that the acoustic version isn't lovely though.

Cry Baby Cry: Just got a really lovely melody. I always find myself humming to this whatever mood i'm in.

Back In The USSR: Perfect intro. Cant really think of anything else. You gotta dig the beach Boys pastiche mid way thourgh though.

Revolution 9: Yeah.

* that's probably misinterpreted. You get the gist of what he's saying.

Jemble Fred

Well it is my favourite album of all time, even if I have little or no time for quite a few tracks on there – Don't Pass me By, Bungalow Bill and yes, despite classifying myself as a Beatles worshipper, when I copied the album to cassette as a teenager I did cut Revolution 9 down to about three minutes. Interesting though it is to hear John dabbling with stuff Paul got bored of at least a year earlier, I think the edited highlights are enough.

Conversely to the 'one disc' proposal, due to loving The White Album I tend to look on most other Beatles album releases as halves of similar double albums – I prefer to think of Abbey Road & Let It Be as one entity, Rubber Soul & Revolver, Sgt Pepper & Magical Mystery Tour, With The Beatles and Beatles For Sale, etc, etc.

EDIT: Has the whole of BBCi stopped working, or is it just me?

CaledonianGonzo

Conversely, I completely agree with Ian McDonald about WMGGW. I find it a bit turgid and ponderous, to be honest, and find msyelf nodding sagely whenever he points out the difference between the Fabs 'rock' tracks and their 'pop' ones. 

Quote from: Jemble Fred on November 23, 2008, 02:34:29 PM
Interesting though it is to hear John dabbling with stuff Paul got bored of at least a year earlier.

Exciting news that one-such Paul-directed piece could potentially be seeing the light of day very soon.

vrailaine

Never got into the White Album or Sgt Pepper.

I'm intrigued to see how Macca is gonna release this 18 minute yoke that none of them wanted on Anthology, a whole new compilation of songs people already have plus it or a quiet iTunes release to avoid it potentially damaging their reputation

biggytitbo

It's brilliance is exactly because it wasn't cut down to one album. What's so great about the White Album is its eclectic, everything but the kitchen sink approach. It feels really intimate and personal like no other Beatles album is, lovable and rough around the edges. All those lovely little low key experiments, eccentric pastiches and the wildly varying tone and style - those songs that would probably have been cut out of it was a single album are what make what would be another great Beatles album into something a little bit more special.