Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:27:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Little Britain removed from streaming services

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 09, 2020, 05:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Bazooka on June 10, 2020, 02:38:32 PM
You are reading way too much into the character being related to voodoo.  He is clearly meant to be a sort of Romany Gypsy travelling circus master, hence the horse and cart, and his wives wearing traditional Romany Gypsy grabs, him trying to sell pegs.

Am I tho?

Edited to add:

And his origin story is a bit beyond the pale really. Haha the funny foreigner has a funny name and voice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnP9kjcLoEo

checkoutgirl

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on June 10, 2020, 02:21:02 PM
It's good to see as much variety as possible (not just relating to race, everyone should be represented) but Asian and Hispanic actors are still not getting leading roles in Hollywood, despite making up more of the population than African American. Only two Asian actors have ever won best actor/actress Oscar, Yul Brynner and...Natalie Portman, and one Hispanic actor back in the 1950s, and only a handful of nominations.

Are the African American advocate groups more vocal and powerful than the others? Or are African Americans contributing more culturally? I'm on shaky ground here but think of the music genres based on African Americans, rock and or roll, rap, blues, soul and so on.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

It's nice that LOGwise, Barbara the taxi driver hasn't been mentioned yet.

I personally found that vet that went round killing all the animals the most offensive character, he was proper upsetting at times.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 10, 2020, 02:50:20 PM
It's nice that LOGwise, Barbara the taxi driver hasn't been mentioned yet.

I personally found that vet that went round killing all the animals the most offensive character, he was proper upsetting at times.

PETA and the RSPCA would have a field day with Mr Chinnery.

j_u_d_a_s

checkoutgirl

One little prick and it will all be over......then they cut me cock off.

I woke up this morning and me bed was like a butcher's slab.

Shit Good Nose

Strange - the vet always seemed to be the LEAST offensive to me.  Obviously the visceral guts and grime were there for the gross comedy shock, but step away from that and he's the nicest, most well-meaning and most human character out of all of them isn't he?  And he was never intentionally cruel to his patients, he just got sidertracked easily and was sometimes a little bit clumsy.

Like I said, I'm no League fan, so maybe there was stuff I didn't see, but that's always been my take on that character.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 10, 2020, 02:49:21 PM
Are the African American advocate groups more vocal and powerful than the others? Or are African Americans contributing more culturally? I'm on shaky ground here but think of the music genres based on African Americans, rock and or roll, rap, blues, soul and so on.

Possibly, I mean obviously the influence of African-American music on American music as a whole is massive, particularly compared with Asian and Latin American music. But as far as movies go, I would imagine the demographics of actors and filmmakers to be pretty equal across the board. But I'd struggle to think of any Asian-American or Hispanic leading actors/actresses off the top of my head. Lou Diamond Philips is the only one who comes to mind, and I don't think I've seen him in anything since about 1989.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 10, 2020, 02:57:32 PM
Strange - the vet always seemed to be the LEAST offensive to me.  Obviously the visceral guts and grime were there for the gross comedy shock, but step away from that and he's the nicest, most well-meaning and most human character out of all of them isn't he?  And he was never intentionally cruel to his patients, he just got sidertracked easily and was sometimes a little bit clumsy.

Like I said, I'm no League fan, so maybe there was stuff I didn't see, but that's always been my take on that character.

I don't think anyone's seriously suggesting Chinnery is offensive. Les McQueen is the most human character by the way.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on June 10, 2020, 03:09:46 PM
Possibly, I mean obviously the influence of African-American music on American music as a whole is massive, particularly compared with Asian and Latin American music. But as far as movies go, I would imagine the demographics of actors and filmmakers to be pretty equal across the board. But I'd struggle to think of any Asian-American or Hispanic leading actors/actresses off the top of my head. Lou Diamond Philips is the only one who comes to mind, and I don't think I've seen him in anything since about 1989.

There are probably plenty of Asian and Hispanic actors and shows but I can't be bothered finding them. Ugly Betty? Is America Ferrara Hispanic? There must be loads of TV shows. Oscar winning films I'm not so sure.

El Unicornio, mang

Yeah she's Honduran-American. I'm talking more about POC leading actors/household names though, in the vein of Denzel Washington, Whoopi Goldberg, Will Smith, Halle Berry, Jamie Foxx, Sidney Potter, etc.

Antonio Banderas, Penelope Cruz, Salma Hayek and Zoe Saldana immediately spring to mind.

El Unicornio, mang

Those first three came to mind, although Banderas and Cruz are from Spain rather than Latin America. I guess that could go into a whole different debate about the difference between Spanish/Hispanic/Latino. I actually thought Zoe Saldana was black until I did a search.

The Bumlord

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 10, 2020, 03:23:16 PM
Antonio Banderas, Penelope Cruz, Salma Hayek and Zoe Saldana immediately spring to mind.

I bet they do etc.

Petey Pate

Quote from: jobotic on June 10, 2020, 12:14:17 PM
They're not banned. They're nos 2 and 3 in Amazon's best-selling DVD sales, as we've been discussing.

No 2 is now Gone With the Wind.

I like the idea of Tommy Robinson fans watching it just to own the libs, but getting bored after 15 mins. There's only one swear word in the whole film and it's at the very end.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Petey Pate on June 10, 2020, 03:49:37 PM

I like the idea of Tommy Robinson fans watching it just to own the libs, but getting bored after 15 mins. There's only one swear word in the whole film and it's at the very end.

Spoiler - he calls her a cunt.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Petey Pate on June 10, 2020, 03:49:37 PM

THREE AND A HALF HOURS?!?

SavageHedgehog

HBO Max isn't even in the UK

Just looked and Desmond's is on All4

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 10, 2020, 03:53:10 PM
THREE AND A HALF HOURS?!?

Four if you see it with the overture, intermission, entr'acte and exit music.

idunnosomename

When will Baddiel's Syndrome be pulled from all major streaming services

Gurke and Hare

How many copies of a DVD do you have to sell to be top of the Amazon chart these days? About seven?

Sofía Vergara was the highest paid TV actress in the world in 2019.

idunnosomename

This is going to be worse for charity shops than the 50 Shades of Grey books

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 10, 2020, 04:09:41 PM

Alternatively there's every chance the prices of second hand copies will rocket up due to demand...

Famous Mortimer

Re: the comment from 2010 - I'm pretty sure a few other people hated Little Britain at the time for some of the shit they did. And...people who can now vote were 3 when it came out. Look at what's happened to the world this year. I'm not sure why some people are so surprised that "times have changed" between now and then. There are huge differences between now and February.

I also liked the quote from Chavs. Reminds me of this review of "Grimsby":

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 10, 2020, 04:09:41 PM

" Family Guy" cutaway writers advised to up their game.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 10, 2020, 04:12:47 PM
I also liked the quote from Chavs. Reminds me of this review of "Grimsby":

Heh.

Mind you, doner kebab toaster in his front room next to all the drinks still makes me laugh.

Lord Mandrake

Oscar Issac, Michael Pena, Diego Luna, Pedro Pascal all killing it recently.

Captain Z

My opinion of LB flip-flopped over time, I remember thinking the initial trailer for BBC3 was irritating rubbish. Then I watched the first series when it came to BBC2(1?) and quite enjoyed it, often for the absurdity and less-obvious characters like the distracted pianist and shopkeeper/customer. But it got more annoying as the second and third series became all about the catchphrases and 'how far can we push the same joke'. A victim of its own success I guess, once the spinoff merchandise comes along you know you've created a monster, and when the knock-off merchandise appears in seaside amusement arcades you know you've lost all control. The inevitable 'in da USA' series follows where everything gets ramped up to 11.

I thought Come Fly With Me was worse, but also still laughed at parts of it. Part of me wants to defend anyone pushing the boundaries of acceptability in comedy rather than playing it safe. There's a sketch in CFWM where David Walliams plays a character that 'speaks perfect Chinese' where if you haven't seen it you can probably guess what follows. I remember my reaction to that being 'you can't do that... can you?' - exactly the same reaction I remember having to Chris Morris portraying Stephen Hawking in Brass Eye. I don't believe that Matt Lucas and David Williams wrote that to be deliberately offensive and were well aware of how absurd it was supposed to be, but when your show is that popular there's a real danger you're playing to a crowd that don't get it, who in turn applaud them for being brave enough to 'tell it how real people feel'.

The recent 'Little Brexit' radio special was very disappointing, just the same popular catchphrase characters with Brexit shoehorned into the familiar routine. Didn't think the Lockdown sketch was worth doing either.