Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:13:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Complete and Utter History of Britain [merged]

Started by Pranet, October 01, 2023, 10:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PinkNoise

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 02, 2023, 05:32:47 PMBloody hell, I wonder what else they found?

Seems weird that they wouldn't be routinely telling people about it.

I noticed the other day that the old LWT building on the South Bank was under development, which gave me visions of them finding the films in a dusty crate in some old boarded up room or something, but I imagine the reality is more mundane.

Makes you wonder what else has been lying unnoticed on the shelves all these years. The rest of At Last The 1948 Show? Ace Of Wands?

It's bloody great news, for sure. To be finally able to see some of the sketches I'd read about nearly 40 years ago in "From Fringe To Flying Circus"... very nice.

Of course, back in the day, Network would have released them all on DVD or Blu-Ray (sob).

zomgmouse

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Spudgun on October 02, 2023, 08:28:38 PMThis is absolutely sensational news - free ITVX seven-day trial for me, too. I expect the full story will eventually come out here:

https://missingepisodes.proboards.com/thread/14366/complete-utter-history-on-britbox

That thread seems to accept what ITV has said - i.e. there is an archive team going through everything that resides in ITVs vaults and the series was miscatalogued, which is why it was thought lost - as per mrwilson's post above.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: PinkNoise on October 02, 2023, 08:40:01 PMI noticed the other day that the old LWT building on the South Bank was under development, which gave me visions of them finding the films in a dusty crate in some old boarded up room or something, but I imagine the reality is more mundane.

Makes you wonder what else has been lying unnoticed on the shelves all these years. The rest of At Last The 1948 Show? Ace Of Wands?

It's bloody great news, for sure. To be finally able to see some of the sketches I'd read about nearly 40 years ago in "From Fringe To Flying Circus"... very nice.

Of course, back in the day, Network would have released them all on DVD or Blu-Ray (sob).

I suspect the truth is more boring, like the tapes being put in the wrong box or mislabelled - there's been other examples of other programmes thought lost, when it's been in the archive all along.

That ITV has an archive team going through everything is great news  .

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Milo on October 02, 2023, 02:35:04 PMWow, hell of a lot of stuff there! They really need to do a better job of letting people know this isn't just ITV stuff, I'd assumed that premium would just be itv catchup without ads, like the channel 4 one used to be (and maybe still is).

I don't disagree! I tend to try and keep a close eye on this kind of stuff and although there is information out there, they really do need to do a better job with the marketing. ITVX replaces the older ITV hub but provides a lot more.

One thing that I meant to mention there will be original content on ITVX that will make its way onto ITV (or another of the channels) but will be ITVX exclusive until then. Nolly (the Crossroads drama) is one example and when ITV announced five new comedies (one of which was Ruby Speaking) last year, all would be on the service at first.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: zomgmouse on October 02, 2023, 09:54:56 PMis this available anywhere else?

The series was released on ITVX and Britbox without any fanfare whatsoever. It was only when people posted about it on social media that British Comedy Guide picked it up and contacted ITV about it that we got any real news or explanation.

Since then, there has been a little press coverage but just reporting what BCG has said (and The Times has reviewed it).

All the information about the show is literally in this thread - but doubtful why ITV would make it available elsewhere at this stage.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Twilkes on October 02, 2023, 10:41:27 PMIs it actually any good though.

Well, It's Palin and Jones so probably. Why not get a free trial and find out?

Twilkes

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 02, 2023, 10:54:30 PMWell, It's Palin and Jones so probably. Why not get a free trial and find out?

Because I don't care enough to.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Twilkes on October 02, 2023, 10:41:27 PMIs it actually any good though.

Previously released bits are easily viewable online, so it's easy to form your own opinion - if you have the inclination.

Personally, based on what I have seen and have read about it, it was inconsistent but had a lot of very good ideas and some of the filmed inserts are excellent. Jones was dissatisfied and Palin felt that the scripts has a lot of potential but need reworking - and that's a key point - both learned a great deal and utilised that for future work.

Like Do Not Adjust Your Set, this series was an important element how Monty Python came about and how the creative team has developed. In that respect, it's a significant piece of work, regardless of whether it is 'good.'

It also lets people make up their own mind, rather relying on the claims of others. For me, a good example is the recentish release of Tony Hancock's ATV series and appreciated the opportunity of making up my own mind.

madhair60

Quote from: zomgmouse on October 02, 2023, 09:54:56 PMis this available anywhere else?

yes. somewhere chaotic. with loads of tv. in the uk.

Pranet

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more fuss about this in the mainstream media tbh.

mjwilson

Quote from: Pranet on October 03, 2023, 03:59:48 PMI'm surprised that there hasn't been more fuss about this in the mainstream media tbh.

I wouldn't be surprised if they catch on in 2 to 3 days or so.

Small Man Big Horse

If anyone's struggling to find this I've made it available elsewhere, so just pm me for the links.

neveragain

I find the Professor Weaver bits tedious. It's the actor, if it was Palin or Jones it would probably be fine. There's also another actor in the ensemble (booming chap, plays Richard III) who gets on my tits.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: neveragain on October 03, 2023, 11:43:43 PMI find the Professor Weaver bits tedious. It's the actor, if it was Palin or Jones it would probably be fine. There's also another actor in the ensemble (booming chap, plays Richard III) who gets on my tits.

There was some trouble casting the series, which basically led to miscasting people, who didn't really get what the show was trying to do. Humphrey Barclay, who produced, suggested that there was a limited pool of performers for that kind of humour and one of the issues was that Jones and Palin were adamant that they didn't want to keep working with Denise Coffey (who would have been perfect, IMO) and David Jason, which limited it further and they had to look further afield.

Jones certainly thought afterwards he and Palin should have played more of the parts.

There's some discussion of the casting in Wilmut's From The Fringe to Flying Circus, which I'll have to dig out.

neveragain

Quote from: Ignatius_S on October 04, 2023, 12:22:24 AMThere's some discussion of the casting in Wilmut's From The Fringe to Flying Circus, which I'll have to dig out.

I've got that, will have to have a look. Cheers for the info. Denise Coffey would indeed be perfect (she always was.)

FredNurke

Fringe to Flying Circus is about a foot away from me as I type, so I'm happy to check my copy if that's more convenient (but don't want to step on anyone's toes).

Fish22

Quote from: Ignatius_S on October 02, 2023, 10:19:02 PMI suspect the truth is more boring, like the tapes being put in the wrong box or mislabelled - there's been other examples of other programmes thought lost, when it's been in the archive all along.

That ITV has an archive team going through everything is great news  .

Everything at LWT was sent up to the archive years ago and if our experience was typical then it was just loads of stuff sent off one weekend without anyone having a chance to label it.

So yeah, the boring version. I am baffled why the ITVX team haven't even sent out a press release about this discovery though.

Spudgun

Quote from: Fish22 on October 30, 2023, 09:09:30 AMhttps://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7114529380076269569

A post from the bloke who found it

Thanks for that. TV 'archaeologists' and archivists are becoming fewer and fewer these days - at least, the knowledgeable ones with the right motivations are - so we should be praising and rewarding this sort of thing way more than we do.

Has anyone else actually watched the series yet, by the way? There are some very funny moments, a few things that don't work, and the whole gamut in between. Most of the rest of the cast don't really seem to be quite on the same page as Jones and Palin in terms of Pythonesque tone, with the exception of Roddy Maude-Roxby (the dotty Professor Weaver character). In fact, the show is probably a victim of its own ambition, and being scaled down a bit and more focused could have helped it.

Of the three proto-Python series (Do Not Adjust Your Set and At Last the 1948 Show being the other two), this is probably the weakest overall, but that's not to say it's bad by any means. An extra couple of drafts and a stronger and smaller supporting cast could have made it a classic, but instead I'd put it down as a near-miss. It's still worth watching, though, and not only for its historical significance.

Just wondering what everyone thought.