Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:46:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Hilary Mantel

Started by selectivememory, September 23, 2022, 12:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Couldn't think of a funny death pun on her name.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63007307

I've only read her Cromwell trilogy, but it is magnificent. Will have to read more of her stuff. Any recommendations?

Joe Qunt

Put her up on the mantel now, in an urn.

C_Larence

I always got confused between her and the shoulder pad woman on Dragon's Den, until she died earlier in the year and I thought of the handy mnemonic "If a live one you want, hell, pick Hilary Mantel. A dead one you say? Choose Hilary Devey". Now I'm back to square one.

king_tubby

Beyond Black is a rewarding yet difficult read. I saw her give a talk about ten years ago, she was brilliantly odd.

She will be remembered also for annoying so many ghastly people with her Kate Middleton essay.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v35/n04/hilary-mantel/royal-bodies

the science eel

Quote from: selectivememory on September 23, 2022, 12:20:19 PMCouldn't think of a funny death pun on her name.

Good! Maybe that means we could sto..

Quote from: Joe Qunt on September 23, 2022, 12:24:32 PMPut her up on the mantel now, in an urn.

ah.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

popcorn

Quote from: king_tubby on September 23, 2022, 12:28:19 PMBeyond Black is a rewarding yet difficult read.

I absolutely loved Beyond Black. I don't remember it being that difficult (unless you mean in terms of subject matter) — I thought it was funny and hip and interesting and "contemporary" in the best possible way (what do I mean by that? I don't know).

Couldn't get into the historical stuff as I'm far too fucking dim.

selectivememory

Cheers, will look up Beyond Black. I remember in the last thread about her, someone recommended her French Revolution novel A Place of Greater Safety, which I've got on my ereader but never got around to starting.

king_tubby

Quote from: popcorn on September 23, 2022, 01:21:33 PMunless you mean in terms of subject matter

Yeah, it was relentlessly grim!

idunnosomename

Yeah sad shock this, but she had had quite a few health issues in her life that may have contributed to her stroke. Very original approach to writing that made her stand out immensely.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 23, 2022, 12:36:07 PMMantel Peace.

(sorry)
see that ones quite sweet, pun haters

Mister Six

I saw Beyond Black in a second hand bookstore ages back and keep kicking myself for not picking it up. Will make an effort to do so now.

Mobius

Gutted :( I love Wolf Hall, so much.. and she seemed lovely in interviews.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

" An Experiment In Love" and " A Change Of Climate" are two of her best novels, will have to give " Beyond Black" a go, it sounds intriguing. Havenae read any of her history based books, mind, but a great writer, as somebody said up there^ a " brilliantly odd" person and a top Veronica Cartwright lookalike. Gone too soon.

touchingcloth

Quote from: C_Larence on September 23, 2022, 12:25:46 PMI always got confused between her and the shoulder pad woman on Dragon's Den, until she died earlier in the year and I thought of the handy mnemonic "If a live one you want, hell, pick Hilary Mantel. A dead one you say? Choose Hilary Devey". Now I'm back to square one.

For Cromwell, it's Mantel. Shoulders puffy, that's Devey.

selectivememory

Reading Beyond Black at the moment and I'm really loving it. Is a bit grim though. Going to also check out the ones Lisa mentioned at some point.

purlieu

Beyond Black is definitely heavy going at times. Good stuff, though.

My favourite non-Cromwells are A Place of Greater Safety, Every Day is Mother's Day and Fludd, all five star books for me.

Was pretty shocked and saddened to hear of her death. Was eagerly awaiting the next book as there are only a couple I've not read now.