Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,787
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:44:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Julian Barnes

Started by Twit 2, September 27, 2022, 12:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Was in a nice little second-hand bookshop and they had The Sense of an Ending and History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters.

Went with the latter. Really fun first story about the woodworm's view of Noah's Arc but it was very reminiscent of Calvino's Cosmicomics in style and especially tone. Is the rest like that? And is TSOAE worth picking up as well? 

markburgle

That's the only one of his I've got, every chapter is a different style / medium, set in a different era etc, but with recurring themes/images of seafaring, woodworm and probably others I've forgotten - e.g. one is an analysis of the painting Wreck of the Medusa, another is a middle-ages era case-for-the-defence of some woodworm who the members of a church want to condemn to hell, one is a tale of a terrorist attack on a cruise ship, another is set in the afterlife... great book, I loved it. Although what, if anything, he was getting at went straight over my head

Small Man Big Horse

I really loved Arthur and George, and Talking It Over, but only liked parts of History Of The World. I really should check out more of his work though given the above.

dontpaintyourteeth

The Noise of Time is really good. That's the only one I've read though.

Pranet

I've read quite a lot of his over the years and enjoyed them. Got me wondering if I still have my copy of Flaubert's Parrot.

Blinder Data

The Sense of an Ending only thing I've read it is good. Would spoil to say much about it but considering its size it packs a delicate punch. Recommended.