Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,395
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:40:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

When did you first encounter racism?

Started by Petey Pate, June 12, 2013, 02:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 12, 2013, 04:52:01 PM
Are you sure he didn't say "Big Black Bastard"?

(EDIT: Oh I hope that wasn't the joke and I've just spelled it out for everyone)

No, I had no jokey intent, that actually happened, he's a little weirdo; named all his toys like they were furniture pieces from an Ikea catalogue and is obsessed with spinning fans, even likes Youtube videos of them.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Petey Pate on June 12, 2013, 03:08:58 PM
It was always "catch a tiger by the toe" when I was at school.  I didn't find out it was originally "n**ger" until years later.  Maybe political correctness really does work.

Oddly enough the version I grew up with was "Catch a Tigger by the toe", which I always presumed related to the much beloved friend of Pooh Bear. I didn't realise it was originally racist until about ten years later.

I grew up in a small posh town in Surrey and at school there was only one black child, who came in for a lot of abuse sadly. His parents ran a newsagent which was termed "The p**i Shop" by, well, cunts, but I loved it as it had the best comics, and always had a go at anyone who used that term.

My Grandfather wasn't racist as such, he had no problem with my Sister dating a black guy, but I do remember one time she was going up to London with him and my Grandfather was concerned, and warned her not to get stabbed. Which is good advice in general, obviously, but the context always bothered me.

Hanslow

Mine was when I was 11 and I brought my new mate back from secondary school. And my dad goes 'so you've p**i back'. That's when I started to realise he wasn't the all-knowing all-powerful being I took him for. And I weren't getting a Ferrari for me 18th. 

Probably came into contact with it plenty of times before, given the area I grew up, but that was the first time I cared.

EDIT
I remember being a racist show-off at a much younger age.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 12, 2013, 05:58:16 PMI grew up in a small posh town in Surrey and at school there was only one black child, who came in for a lot of abuse sadly. His parents ran a newsagent which was termed "The p**i Shop" by, well, cunts, but I loved it as it had the best comics, and always had a go at anyone who used that term.

Did you er ... skip down there on a Sunday morning and read the comics?  Eh ... maybe buy some sweets with your pocket money too?

Danger Man

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 12, 2013, 05:18:45 PM
I'm with you.  I know four Australians pretty well, used to date one, and they've all been a bit racist.

Aussies and Kiwis are ridiculously racist by today's standards.

Kiwis aren't quite as bad as they don't treat Maoris like dirt. If only because they need them for their rugby team.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 12, 2013, 06:18:03 PM
Did you er ... skip down there on a Sunday morning and read the comics?  Eh ... maybe buy some sweets with your pocket money too?

Yes. Yes I did. I'm confused by what you might be referencing though.

non capisco

My Grandad on my old man's side was a bit of a closed book to say the least but one of the things I do remember him telling me was that I didn't want to go to Brixton because it was "full of spooks". This contradicted my parents assurances that there were no such things as ghosts and my Dad had to calm me down by telling me Grandad didn't mean ghosties are real, he's actually a daft old racist.

syntaxerror

I have to say this forum is incredibly white and non-diverse.

Danger Man

Quote from: syntaxerror on June 12, 2013, 06:49:15 PM

4 posters have declared themselves 'non-white' out of 12,457

So, unless others come forward, we have to assume that CaB is 99.97% white.

But non-whites don't like comedy so that figure isn't much of a surprise.

mook

my great grandad was an athiest jew who married an english lass from cambridge, does that count at all with including me as one of the exotics?

canadagoose

That's not our fault, though. I didn't even see a black person in real life until I was 10, but that's not my fault either; it just so happens that hardly anyone wants to move to where I grew up.

Anyway, there was a fair bit of casual racism in my home town when I was growing up, but nothing major. Having said that, my friend's dad used to go on about "the derkies, straight oot the jungle" whenever there was a black football player on the TV, and a lot of people would talk about going to the "Chinky" for dinner. It's not as common now, though, I don't think.

Ein Sof

Then maybe they should do what they're most adept at: coming "over here", assimilating poorly and then taking our 'jobs'! Or is CaB not good enough for them?!

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

My family were going to emigrate to New Zealand when I was a kid*. My gran on my mum's side was mortified at the thought of us being so far away. Determined to convince us to stay in Blighty, she looked at me with genuinely sad, worried eyes and said, in a trembling voice: "There's a lotta ch**ks over there."

Naturally we immediately cancelled our plans.

I also remember being friends with a group of older lads when I was about 6 or 7. We used to play on the cricket field opposite my house, but one day we were chased by a rival gang, making me late back home. When asked by my parents to explain, I repeated what the older boys had said; "We were chased by The Pakis!" I think I just assumed that was their gang name, like The Jets.

*I was invited, too.

Ein Sof

Quote from: mook on June 12, 2013, 06:58:55 PM
my great grandad was an athiest jew who married an english lass from cambridge, does that count at all with including me as one of the exotics?

I'm "white but disappointed that I'm not Jewish." Do I count at all?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Danger Man on June 12, 2013, 06:54:30 PM

To be fair, around 12,000 of those are TC aliases.

syntaxerror

Quote from: Ein Sof on June 12, 2013, 07:01:46 PM
Then maybe they should do what they're most adept at: coming "over here", assimilating poorly and then taking our 'jobs'! Or is CaB not good enough for them?!

Correction - They're taking our jobs and scrounging off the benefits system.

syntaxerror

CaB is 99.97% white.

This site must be giving Stormfront a run for its money

Ein Sof

Quote from: syntaxerror on June 12, 2013, 07:08:09 PM
Correction - They're taking our jobs and scrounging off the benefits system.

I don't think there's a comparable system on here, unless Neil wants to give some of us money for the often-arduous task of ignoring certain members?

Quote from: syntaxerror on June 12, 2013, 07:09:38 PM

The arguments they have on there are sometimes amusing; some of them are really suspicious of the Greeks/Italians/anyone who isn't 'Nordic'. Despite being 'white nationalist/supremacist' website, their membership certainly didn't think it was imperative to make a final decision regarding who are going to be 'white' and who are going to be "mischlings" in their fantasy nation.

Danger Man

Quote from: syntaxerror on June 12, 2013, 07:09:38 PM

Don't black people have their own forums?

Oh...here's one. Cocoa Lounge?

http://www.cocoalounge.org/

biggytitbo

The children at school used to call me titty lips, which is worse than racism.

Fry

The first CaB meet I went to when I was forced into a nearby helicopter and told to fly Ziggy Starbucks to Huddersfield.

Oh and and SMBH called me "niggerbait."

So, unless others come forward, we have to assume that CaB is 99.97% white.

But non-whites don't like comedy so that figure isn't much of a surprise.

I'm 1/4 Sicilian and sometimes the people around here, who aren't accustomed to such exotic sights, mistake me for an Asian or a Jew of some kind.

Can I be in the CaB black gang? I probably have some black genes if Christopher Walken's speech in True Romance is to be believed.

Pleeeze. I can dance to big beats in a hippety-hop style and sometimes my sentences rhyme when I don't even mean them to. It's my natural blackness showing through.

Thomas

Quote from: Chris Morris'I'm whiter than the ace of Tipp-Ex, right, but this guy make me feel like a full-blown motherfreakin' n**ger brother [...] I live in Compton, man. I have the shit being beaten out of me by honky cops just because I put my foot down on the freeway.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds2FY4uq6h4&t=6m18s

Ein Sof

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 12, 2013, 07:18:50 PM
The children at school used to call me titty lips, which is worse than racism.

It's not necessarily racist, unless they were invoking the old British proverb: "A nipple on the lips saves plenty of Gyps."

It's definitely racist because nobody actually wants to save Gypsys! "Titty lips" are bad thing to have in this situation. It's quite right that they insulted you!

Danger Man

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 12, 2013, 07:21:09 PM
Can I be in the CaB black gang?

The CaB People of Colour Group is open to all. You can only become a full member after you've spent a night in Fry's bed and avoided contact with his full member.

Fry

Johnny Townmouse

Someone painted "Green Wog" in green paint on the pavement outside of my house when I was about 6.

In fairness, there was a lot of IRA boming going on.

Quote from: Danger Man on June 12, 2013, 07:31:42 PM
The CaB People of Colour Group is open to all. You can only become a full member after you've spent a night in Fry's bed and avoided contact with his full member.

I gave Fry a big karma boost when he asked for one, so I don't need to go to bed and play whatever sex game that is with him. I'm calling in that debt.

So now I'm in CABPOCG.

Do we have uniforms? Titles? Any cool stuff like that?

canadagoose

Thursday

I don't think it was my first exposure, but I remember seeing Die Hard with a Vengance when I was about 10 and being really confused over why they were making such a big deal out of race. I think I had to have the sign John Mclane wearsexplained to me. I think I thought racism was some thing that had all but died out in the 60's and now there were only a few bad people that still believed in it.