Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:29:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Thrillers

Started by Albert Soviets, August 20, 2022, 11:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Soviets

Now then, I already know the answers to my question, so I'll post those first.

1. I could just google it.

2. I could just read one for myself.

3. Well, we're all cunts to someone, aren't we?

Everyone I know seems to really like thrillers. People at work, relatives, my mum, your mum, all seem to read these massive great books written by Lee Child... or the other ones... I know nowt at all about thrillers.

So yeah, thrillers... what's a good book to start with?

13 schoolyards

I know next to nothing about current thrillers, but when I used to read them a general guide was to avoid ones that had a really blatant, awesome-sounding hook, because usually that was all they had to offer.

I remember one titled Cain where the US military created a zombie super solider but as (obviously) a living creature created without a soul is a gateway for demonic posession, it was instantly taken over by Satan and America's Hardest Man had to stop it before... I dunno, the book was garbage (Satan's final speech was a direct rip-off of Rutger Hauer's one in Blade Runner). But it had a great hook.

See also the much more recent The Chain, which is basically "what if a chain letter, only with kids; if you want yours back, you have to steal someone else's and keep the kidnapping chain going". The book is trash, but who cares - you're just buying it for the idea.