Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:58:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH III

Started by imitationleather, April 12, 2020, 11:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

So in short, that's a no. Of course there won't be any reckoning. What, you think the law applies to people like Johnson and Cummings?

Uncle TechTip

We've had a glimpse into the future of Universal Basic Income, and it isn't good news.

Zetetic

At least three governments in the UK by that reckoning.

(Testing hardly seems to the point. Either ensuring that care homes were able to isolate, regardless of a positive test, or finding someway to safely use the field hospitals might have been. Might yet be again, soon.)

Dr Rock

Hello is there a thread for people who have had a Covid test, or shall I just share my story here? Ok. I just had one and it was a piece of piss. Ambulance man came to my door, which is where he stuck a swab down my throat, which was no big deal as my gag reflex has been well and truly knackered by sticking my fingers down my throat to be sick when I had too much drink and/or drugs in my youth/early middle age, and not because I've gobbled lots of cocks or maybe I have nowt wrong with that. Then it went up my nose, which felt a little bit weird for half a second, then it was all done. I didn't cry at all.

BlodwynPig

New record case load yesterday, a smidgen below 300,000.

Fambo Number Mive

According to the coronavirus dashboard 2998 cases were reported in the UK today.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 06, 2020, 04:38:50 PM
According to the coronavirus dashboard 2998 cases were reported in the UK today.

Deaths running (artificially?) low compared to this increase in cases.

India have jumped Brazil into 2nd most cases after USA.

Fuck, 7000 new cases in France!

China about to slip to 39th on the case table, behind Oman, Qatar and Sweden.

Zetetic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 06, 2020, 05:37:49 PM

Depends what you mean by "artificially", perhaps.

Maybe: More testing, more of which (than a few weeks ago at least?) is tracing-led and more of which (than a few months ago) is of people of lower risk.

Alberon

Matt Hancock has said this about the rise in positive test results.

Quote"The rise in the number of cases that we have seen today is concerning.

"The cases are predominantly among younger people but we have seen in other countries across the world and in Europe this sort of rise in the cases among younger people lead to a rise across the population as a whole, so it so important that people don't allow this illness to infect their grandparents and to lead to the sort of problems that we saw earlier in the year."

Earlier in the pandemic the UK seemed to be a few weeks behind mainland Europe, I wonder if that is still true.

If it is coming back it's a particularly bad time what with the new university term starting.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on September 06, 2020, 05:58:40 PM
Depends what you mean by "artificially", perhaps.

Maybe: More testing, more of which (than a few weeks ago at least?) is tracing-led and more of which (than a few months ago) is of people of lower risk.

Cutting the tail off the curve, artifice.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Alberon on September 06, 2020, 07:34:46 PM
Matt Hancock has said this about the rise in positive test results.

Earlier in the pandemic the UK seemed to be a few weeks behind mainland Europe, I wonder if that is still true.

If it is coming back it's a particularly bad time what with the new university term starting.

So, Hancock, how are you going to ensure that doesn't happen? Fucking hell. Strap me into a Covid Zorb and role me into Parliament.

imitationleather

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 06, 2020, 05:37:49 PM

The deaths from this jump in cases won't happen for a couple of weeks?

Fortunately I'm skint after just paying for my cat to have a tail amputation operation so I was going to be staying indoors for months now anyway!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Slightly against the prevailing theme, Germany's cases have been falling the last few weeks.

The Culture Bunker

I suspect we're too far down the path back to the "old normal" for any statistics to mean much now.

steveh

Quote from: Alberon on September 06, 2020, 07:34:46 PM

I've since read some analyses that say actually the UK wasn't as far behind Europe as was thought at the time - maybe just a few days - which influenced the bad / slow decisions that were made.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: steveh on September 07, 2020, 08:47:39 AM
I've since read some analyses that say actually the UK wasn't as far behind Europe as was thought at the time - maybe just a few days - which influenced the bad / slow decisions that were made.

bullshit

olliebean

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/09/06/lungs-damaged-coronavirus-can-repair-three-months/

The headline: "Lungs damaged by coronavirus can repair themselves in three months"

The subheading: "The first study of its kind has found nearly half of hospital patients showed no damage at 12 weeks"

What the actual story is, therefore: Study finds that in more than half of cases, lungs damaged by coronavirus are not repaired in three months - even with the benefit of hospital treatment.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: olliebean on September 07, 2020, 09:04:39 AM
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/09/06/lungs-damaged-coronavirus-can-repair-three-months/

The headline: "Lungs damaged by coronavirus can repair themselves in three months"

The subheading: "The first study of its kind has found nearly half of hospital patients showed no damage at 12 weeks"

What the actual story is, therefore: Study finds that in more than half of cases, lungs damaged by coronavirus are not repaired in three months - even with the benefit of hospital treatment.

BACK TO OFFICES WITH YOU...EVEN IF YOU NEVER WORKED IN AN OFFICE...GET IN THE OFFICE YOU MOANING SCUM

Garam

Giant anti-lockdown at Holyrood in Edinburgh over the weekend. Fucking morons. I'm staying inside all winter, fuck these people.

Did laugh at the palpable contempt shown by this wee girl at her parents photo op tho

edit: can't get the picture uploaded. oh well

Head Gardener

bomb_dog

Another 2,948 people tested positive today. What's going on?

As an aside, I was in Looe in Cornwall to find a chippy last week. Fuck all social distancing. Got out after finding one and didn't go back. Comments in their local press said visitors to shops there have been saying 'distancing? I've come here to get away from all that'.

Alberon

People are only looking at the death rate. Detection is probably much better than in April and May but the virus could easily take off again, if it isn't already. By the time the more elderly infected start dying in larger numbers it will be too late.

I'm not planning to attend any largish gathering until the vaccine is ready. I can wait another six months at least very easily.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 07, 2020, 08:49:56 AM
bullshit

Why are you so violently against the idea? It supports a theory that it had reached us faster than first thought and more widely than first thought, which explains why the eventual impact was so severe, while our fucking boy scouts at large were still calmly conducting the PR orchestra oblivious to the shit piling up in their adult nappies.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAnother 2,948 people tested positive today. What's going on?

Going to guess: a return to commuting, schooling, pubs reopening, cinemas reopening, nationwide and international travel reopening (to an extent) all within the space of 2 months isn't all concealable through occasional use of a mask.

bomb_dog

I mean why the big leap that has then stuck for two days. What happened two weeks ago that was pivotal to the slide back to ye olde normal?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 07, 2020, 07:11:42 PM
Why are you so violently against the idea? It supports a theory that it had reached us faster than first thought and more widely than first thought, which explains why the eventual impact was so severe, while our fucking boy scouts at large were still calmly conducting the PR orchestra oblivious to the shit piling up in their adult nappies.

I misread, I thought it was about 'response'

Bence Fekete

Back in lockdown here in Caerphilly county borough.

Not in the least. Sainsbury's by me has huge signs telling everyone to wear masks but there's about 3 people who comply and one older staff member. Local rugby club was jammed the other day, outside. Around 300 people were actually cramming themselves together OUTSIDE, where all the space is.

God bless you valley trail blazers. Liberated we will rise/fall/choke to dearth anon.