Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:40:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your signature scent

Started by Chedney Honks, June 02, 2021, 08:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

As long as it doesn't smell like decaying human shit and isn't tested on tortured mice captives then I'll try it.

Dr Rock

I wore Kouros by Yves St Laurent in the 90s. I was fighting them off with a shity stick.

QuoteYves Saint Laurent Kouros aftershave for men is the epitome of masculinity. An aromatic fougere fragrance that possesses a blend of grass, cloves, jasmine, rose and coriander, together with a touch of vanilla and honey.

Top notes: Aldehydes, Artemisia, Coriander, Clary Sage, Bergamot
Heart notes: Carnation, Patchouli, Cinnamon, Orris Root, Jasmine, Vetiver, Geranium
Base notes: Honey, Leather, Tonka Bean, Amber, Musk, Civet, Oakmoss, Vanilla

Butchers Blind

All you lot showing off. Get Brut - splash it on all over.

Cerys

I used to use Brut deodorant when I was about twelve.  Someone had given my dad a bunch of Brut stuff for Christmas, and it was just gathering dust.  I have no regrets.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

This was my last aftershave purchase:

Ten euros from a Spanish supermarket a couple of years ago. It smells alright actually, but it's not very strong, so it doesn't really smell of much at all. Also, Coronel Tapiocca literally translates into English as Colonel Tapioca, which is brilliant, and I probably should have used it as my CaB username.

badaids

There's an Ad on playing in You Tube for an aftershave called 'Gammon'.  The tagline is something like 'This is what a Man smells like'.  Is it for real or a pisstake?

flotemysost

Quote from: badaids on June 02, 2021, 08:18:29 PM
There's an Ad on playing in You Tube for an aftershave called 'Gammon'.  The tagline is something like 'This is what a Man smells like'.  Is it for real or a pisstake?

I did find it amusing when someone defaced all the bus shelter ads nearby showing the Johnny Depp Dior campaign, so that he was preening under the word SAUSAGE.

chveik

Aaron500

Boss Bottled - The advert has some actor telling me to: "Be the Man of Today". OK then.

It's one of the manly, woody, leathery ones, because I'm a bloody bloke.
The wife seems to like it, every time we pass a fragrance shop she goes in and bullies the staff about how much it costs.
Day to day I use a smellalike from off of the internet, which seems to smell the same and is longer lasting imo.

Before that it was Davidoff Adventure, another woody one but a bit citrussy for my more mature taste now.

My favourites are Guerlain Vetiver in the winter, which is the easiest to recommend for about £30, and Dior Eau Sauvage in the summer. I also like Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012).

I remember liking these samples: Serge Lutens' Five o'clock au gingembre and Fille en aiguilles; Acqua di Parma Colonia; Frederic Malle's Geranium pour monsieur and Cologne Indelebile (both by Dominique Ropion); Murdock Black Tea; and a couple of weirdly progressing ones: Geoffrey Beene's Grey Flannel (but not the boring eau de Grey Flannel) and Eau d'Hermes by Edmond Roudnitska. Grey Flannel is the only cheap one of those. Try to get samples before or instead of buying anything as a bottle.

Le Labo Santal 33 (2011) is a sandalwood perfume that became popular recently then suffered a backlash.

Below is a very short survey of the history of men's perfume (an outdated concept?) up to 1990 in Edmond Roudnitska's book. Some of these perfumes are between £15 and £30:

QuoteIf in the male perfumery the Fougère Royale, created in 1882, was used for a long time by the rare men who perfumed themselves, as well as the Lavender of Yardley and Pour un Homme[nb]Still available for about £30[/nb] created by Ernest Daltroff in 1934, the real departure of the male perfume and the masculine lines is represented by Mustache[nb]There is a reformulation of this based on the 1948/9 scent but it might be better to try Eau Sauvage, Roudnitska's later creation[/nb] in 1948. It is Paco Rabanne pour homme [nb]about £30[/nb] which would know how to best exploit the vein, in 1973, by adding a deep dose of musk. At the same time, it created the footstool for the violence of male perfumes. The peak was reached by Azzaro pour homme[nb]About £30[/nb] in 1978, which supplanted the previous one at the top level of sales. The masculine notes follow one another, all strong, the American Aramis[nb]About £20[/nb], a leather note well composed although a little pharmaceutical; Drakkar Noir[nb]A sandalwood perfume available for about £15[/nb] in 1982, a great success in the United States as well as Polo; Xeyrus which fits in as best it can, and 1988 the year of all risks with the jostling of Bois Noir, Farenheit, Jazz and Ténéré.

It's common now to wear not only unisex perfumes but ones marketed to another gender. In fact, Roudnitska's book mentions that when Eau Sauvage was becoming the perfume of young men in the late 1960s there were also lots of women wearing it.

Chedney Honks

Cheers, Rimmy. And great to see you around. Some interesting stuff there.

I actually have a Drakkar Noir on the way today, just out of curiosity. Same way that CKOne and HUGO evoke the 90s in a wonderful way, I want to see whether there's anything I can pick up from my childhood, maybe my dad wore Drakkar.

Dex Sawash

NoOffenceLynn

Quote from: icehaven on June 02, 2021, 03:49:34 PM
My Mum got me a box of little bottles of various Dior perfumes from duty free years ago, and I particularly liked J'adore, but it's prohibitively expensive so other than the odd Christmas present I'm generally without any. I found a fairly good cheapo copy on a market stall a few years ago, very similar shaped bottle and called something like J'adonut or something (I'm kidding, can't remember what it was really called) but I've not seen it since.

I use Chanel Gabrielle that is well over €120 but on my less monied days, l use this site https://divainparfums.com it's great for both men and women's fragrance.

It's fantastic, true essence of the perfume not rubbish that will give you a rash 5 seconds after you spray it on your skin, but identical to the real thing.

And at more than half the price you pay for the commercial brands, it makes perfect 'scents'

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Chedney Honks on June 03, 2021, 01:18:35 PM
I actually have a Drakkar Noir on the way today, just out of curiosity.

I only got a 30ml so no great loss but this reminded me of my childhood in a less favourable way. It was familiar but very powdery and a bit sharp and piney, more so than I'd like. It made me think of my uncle who was a legend but it made my nostrils tingle. Might need to let it settle into the drydown and see how it feels after a couple of hours, but I washed it off.

Chedney Honks

I meant to update this but I've been really enjoying the Drakkar Noir! It definitely needs fifteen or twenty minutes to settle but it's great, properly reminds me of being a kid in the 80s out with the men of the family. Shit pubs and snooker halls, social clubs. I fucking love it actually, such a comforting smell to me because most of them are dead or live miles away from me. It's powdery but fresh and honest and unashamedly masculine. My wife also loves it. Makes me want to polish my shoes every day.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

So it smells of the working classes then, essentially?

Chedney Honks

It smells of the men who watch the pools, have a bath and put a shirt on to take their wife out in 1987.

seepage

"...launched to appeal to an Anglo-Saxon market." Feel the Power!

JaDanketies

lol didn't realise y'all were actually seriously replying to this, I figured it was some HS Art thing where you all replied with 'BO' or 'cadavers' or whatever.

Me and my fiancee both use this:

She actually doesn't like the smell of anything stronger these days. Also you can get massive refill bottles. No CFCs or anything, it's just a spray like kitchen cleaner is a spray.

Chedney Honks

Drakkar Noir gives me a headache after a few hours, I've found. Quite a strange thing that a particular smell can do that but sure enough.

Still on the Thierry Mugler most days, I smell like nice soap you get from a market in let's say Capri.

Chedney Honks

The recent Lynx Africa chat got me thinking and I bought some. I still like the smell and it really reminds me of being maybe 12-16, playing football in the street, sniffing solvents, Diamond White, KMKYWAP radio show on tape, Super Mario Kart, I Should Coco, Embassy No.1, trying and failing to pull and just having a great time somehow making a fiver last all weekend. Anyway, that was a short-lived few days because I didn't really want to wear such a distinctive teenage boy fragrance and it's a little bit nauseating unless you're very gentle with it.

Few weeks on, I stumbled upon the ludicrously named Alien Man by Thierry Mugler. It's another pretty cheap fragrance, like his cologne, £35 for a 50ml EDT, and it's a really good one. Most importantly, it also happens to remind me of Lynx Africa! It's quite minty, got some dill and anise in there and settles into something rather woody and 'exotic', for want of a more meaningful descriptor. I've been wearing it for a few days now and I like it more and more. I'm certainly not wearing it to get compliments but several people have said they like it, for what it's worth. It really feels like a deeper, more 'mature', less sweet and sickly Lynx Africa. Warmly recommended.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

They probably just think you're wearing Lynx Africa.

vanilla.coffee

Carolina Herrera - Chic for daily wear
Cacharel - Pour Homme for nights out

Mr Banlon

Duru (Turkish limon kolonya)
Armaf Derby Club House Blanche (Clone of Creed Silver Mountain Water for about 1/15th of the price)
All the Armaf clones are pretty good.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Mr Banlon on July 05, 2021, 11:14:04 PM
All the Armaf clones are pretty good.

Yup. Armaf's Club de Nuit Intense Man (a famous clone of Creed Aventus) is a foolproof compliment getter. Certainly more successful than when I was an intense man in a nightclub anyway.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Chedney Honks on June 02, 2021, 08:26:09 AM
Partly, it was poverty. I didn't have the money to spend on smelling of anything other than deodorant. Partly, it was because I always found colognes and eau de toilettes a bit strong and overpowering as a teenager and young man (certainly because I put too much on, not knowing what to do, like most young people). Partly because I didn't have better quality stuff, to be honest, so it smelled a bit sickly and synthetic.

Ultimately it's all the same quality. Lynx Africa or Estelle de Noite's Gavroche d'Evoque - same shit, different can.

Chedney Honks

An impressively ignorant post, but I laughed if it was supposed to be a joke. Either way, congratulations.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Whatever you wear, you're going to smell like a tart's handbag.