Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:12:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Boo Radleys reform

Started by Beagle 2, July 07, 2021, 05:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

...sort of... I think? I'm aware that the rest of the band without Martin were doing a nostalgia show as Sice Boo and the Radleys but they seem to be using the full name now and Lamacq played a new song this afternoon (which I haven't heard yet).

Can anyone fill me in as to what's going on? Does seem that sadly Martin isn't involved, but in any case I would go mad for the old stuff sung by Sice. One of my favourite ever bands.

Rev+

The single's out tomorrow, and is about 41 minutes in here:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000xlrs

Not exactly a radical departure from their later stuff, but you probably want a bit of familiarity for a first return effort.  There seems to be next to no further information around (Lamacq's being oddly cagey other than saying there's likely to be an EP in the near future), but yeah, it seems like Martin isn't involved.

phantom_power

I love the Boo Radleys but also have never had any interest in them reforming, especially without Carr

SweetPomPom

Martin was first on the bill at The House Of Love's Roundhouse gig a couple of years ago, playing some vaguely dubby solo material - was all a bit low key meh though.

Rev+

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 07, 2021, 08:29:29 PM
Yay?

That's the only possible reaction really.  Might be alright?

Sice has of course had a proper, grown-up day job for about a decade (http://www.chilternpsychologicalservices.co.uk/about-me.html) and it seems unlikely that he'd chuck that for another throw of the dice in a transit van.  A little bit more stuff though, and some appearances?  Yeah, go on then.

PaulTMA

I quite like the song.  Really hoped the proper line-up would reform and get their dues but looks like that's all fucked now

PaulTMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPvPERf5Muk&ab_channel=TheBooRadleys

Wonder what Martin Carr makes of it all.  The mixing on the song is crap and the artwork looks like a cheap version of their 90s stuff, but it's not a billion miles removed from Kingsize (arguably their best album)

famethrowa

Quote from: Rev+ on July 08, 2021, 12:59:05 AM
That's the only possible reaction really.  Might be alright?

Sice has of course had a proper, grown-up day job for about a decade (http://www.chilternpsychologicalservices.co.uk/about-me.html) and it seems unlikely that he'd chuck that for another throw of the dice in a transit van.  A little bit more stuff though, and some appearances?  Yeah, go on then.

Pretty sure you don't have to do that these days, go play the gig on Saturday night, back at work Monday morning.

lazyhour

How on earth can they be recording new songs without Carr? Correct me if I'm wrong, but he wrote every note of their music, no?

Kingsize is a fantastic record. Didn't need Free Huey on it, though.

phantom_power

Quote from: PaulTMA on July 08, 2021, 01:32:08 AM

Wonder what Martin Carr makes of it all.  The mixing on the song is crap and the artwork looks like a cheap version of their 90s stuff, but it's not a billion miles removed from Kingsize (arguably their best album)

Very arguably when Giant Steps exists

It does sound very Kingsize. Wonder if Carr is just writing songs for them now or if Sice wrote it, as he had a solo album after they split up that this sounds a lot like as well

PaulTMA

=Kingsize
=C'mon Kids
Giant Steps
Wake Up
EAF

(haven't really listened to Ichabod)

DrGreggles

I think Kingsize is their weakest album, but each to their own, eh.

phantom_power

C'Mon Kids better than Giant Steps. Are you wearing oven gloves to carry around that take?

PaulTMA

Quote from: phantom_power on July 08, 2021, 10:20:34 AM
C'Mon Kids better than Giant Steps. Are you wearing oven gloves to carry around that take?

Nah, just think it's a much better album.  The last two are total classics.  I like it a lot now but working backwards from C'mon Kids to the famous Giant Steps I remember initially being a bit "is that it" and thought it was merely good.  Giant Steps only really clicked for me in the last month or so when I found a vinyl copy and that listen made it make sense quite a lot more (and I have heard it many times), but generally I do think they got better as they went along.

purlieu

Quote from: PaulTMA on July 08, 2021, 01:32:08 AM

Pretty much this. It's strangely weak and muddy sounding, but the song is really nice, if unspectacular.

phantom_power

Quote from: PaulTMA on July 08, 2021, 10:45:20 AM
Nah, just think it's a much better album.  The last two are total classics.  I like it a lot now but working backwards from C'mon Kids to the famous Giant Steps I remember initially being a bit "is that it" and thought it was merely good.  Giant Steps only really clicked for me in the last month or so when I found a vinyl copy and that listen made it make sense quite a lot more (and I have heard it many times), but generally I do think they got better as they went along.

Now I am just jealous of your vinyl copy of Giant Steps

PaulTMA

Quote from: phantom_power on July 08, 2021, 11:07:01 AM
Now I am just jealous of your vinyl copy of Giant Steps

I talked them down to £35 which I understand was a good deal.  Honestly I was happier finding a vinyl C'Mon Kids for £20 a few weeks earlier

idunnosomename

is this to do with the increased interest in booing these days?

Beagle 2

The new tune is really nice, I do agree there's something off about the way Sice's vocals are mixed but it's just a lovely thing to have. Really pisses me off when bands reform and don't even attempt to sling out a couple of new tunes.

I have followed Martin Carr's stuff since the split, and some of it is pretty great, but it does always slightly grate that his vocal style is like Sice... but it's not Sice. It's a shame he's not involved. It did sound like it ended quite badly for them all but I wasn't aware there was bad feeling as such. I guess he's just doing his thing.

I was so gutted at the time that C'mon Kids seemed to flop, despite being incredible and following on from commercial success. I saw them touring that record in a half-empty venue.

Brundle-Fly

Boo Radleys were one of those bands I saw live about six times during the nineties in very quick succession because they were always the support or on festival bills. Cast and The Farm too. I once experienced Cast as guests three times in ten days. "Not, Fine Time again!?!" I've nothing against the Boos but it's funny I've seen them perform more times than the bands I actually did follow.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Beagle 2 on July 08, 2021, 03:02:42 PM
I have followed Martin Carr's stuff since the split, and some of it is pretty great, but it does always slightly grate that his vocal style is like Sice... but it's not Sice. It's a shame he's not involved. It did sound like it ended quite badly for them all but I wasn't aware there was bad feeling as such. I guess he's just doing his thing.

Didn't Sice contribute on a couple of Bravecaptain songs post-split?
Maybe Martin just isn't a nostalgic guy and sees the Boos purely in the past, but he must have allowed them to use the name.

I think for Carr the peak of the Boos popularity was an insane period in his life when he went to total excess with booze and drugs in order to cope, and he eventually had to get out of it for his own wellbeing. So maybe he's just not keen to revisit that part of his life again.

There's a interview from a couple of years after the split which goes into it:

https://www.theguardian.com/friday_review/story/0,3605,349977,00.html

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 08, 2021, 03:32:20 PM
Boo Radleys were one of those bands I saw live about six times during the nineties in very quick succession because they were always the support or on festival bills. Cast and The Farm too. I once experienced Cast as guests three times in ten days. "Not, Fine Time again!?!" I've nothing against the Boos but it's funny I've seen them perform more times than the bands I actually did follow.

As a frequenter of a certain kind of Stoner/Sludge metal gig, Orange Goblin are like this for me. I must've seen them about more than half a dozen times as a support band/middle of the day festival band and I don't even like them.

Glebe

'I Hang Suspended' has some great guitar. Pretty sure I have the 12" of that somewhere.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Glebe on July 08, 2021, 07:33:19 PM
'I Hang Suspended' has some great guitar. Pretty sure I have the 12" of that somewhere.

Did that have their cover of Zoom on it?

Glebe

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 08, 2021, 07:48:19 PMDid that have their cover of Zoom on it?

The Fat Larry's Band song that was used in OFAH episode 'Diamonds Are for Heather'? Cannae be bothered digging the record out, but no, according to Discogs.

Brundle-Fly

My favourite Boo Radleys track used to be Find The Answer Within (particularly The High Llamas mix, sadly not YouTube).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdOrQXhPE_A

However, it was clearly an unabashed rip off homage to Manfred Mann's Walking Around from the Up The Junction (1968) OST. Similarly, from this kitchen sink drama, I'm sure Jarvis Cocker was taking lyrical inspiration for Common People too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0xmzT-5pYs

DrGreggles

Quote from: Glebe on July 08, 2021, 08:00:39 PM
The Fat Larry's Band song that was used in OFAH episode 'Diamonds Are for Heather'? Cannae be bothered digging the record out, but no, according to Discogs.

It was on Barney (...And Me).

Rev+

I get why some people incorrectly think that Giant Steps isn't their best album, because it does have a bit of a scrapbook feel.  Most of the songs stop as soon as they've got their point across, which is why it has to be listened to from start to finish.

C'Mon Kids is their best one after that, and the one I'm most likely to stick on these days.  There's some great stuff on Kingsize but it has no structure, and feels like a b-side collection.