Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:51:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nazi charity investigated

Started by touchingcloth, June 30, 2022, 09:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Call me mad if you like, but I agree that black lives matter more than England needs defending.

jobotic

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 02, 2022, 11:53:59 AMWhy are you doing this? Why are pretending not to see my point about the media hysteria / charity looting? What about Madeline McCann, why did she deserve the abuse she got here? Or maybe when people were making jokes about her those jokes weren't actually *about her*, they were vicariously attacking the media hysteria.

How do you know about that? You only signed up recently?

McCann jokes were shit and done to show how edgy the posters were. Not the same.

Kankurette

Captain Tom also had a mahoosive PR team behind him, which helped somewhat. His daughter is a shameless grifter who's still trying to get her pound of flesh.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 02, 2022, 11:54:27 AMThe media missed the point with Nazi Tom. Fundamentally it is a bad thing that an organisation like NHS Charities Together needs to exist, so cheerleading a 100 year old man trudging round his garden to help them is mad, and rather than highlighting just how fucked the NHS is it felt like it did the opposite and let us pat Tom and ourselves on the back rather than trying to address the underlying structural problems. Hence the catharsis of calling their totem a Nazi pedo. Ultimately his walk was about as useful as banging pots and pans.

Yes. It's like the stories you periodically see in the U.S. media about a child deciding to work three simultaneous paper rounds to pay off their friends' "school lunch debt" or something equally grim and it's framed as something feel-good and inspiring rather than a shameful indictement of a broken country.

The general drive from the UK media over recent years and particularly in the early pandemic to represent the NHS as some sort of scrappy charity effort that can just maybe be kept afloat by the love and support of the general public reaching into their pockets is evil and insidious in exactly the same way.

touchingcloth

Quote from: jobotic on July 02, 2022, 12:06:32 PMHow do you know about that? You only signed up recently?

McCann jokes were shit and done to show how edgy the posters were. Not the same.

Maddie jokes were rooted in the same thing. Ultimately they stemmed from a knowledge of that the undue prominence given to her case by the media thanks to her class and skin colour.

shoulders

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 02, 2022, 12:14:49 PMMaddie jokes were rooted in the same thing. Ultimately they stemmed from a knowledge of that the undue prominence given to her case by the media thanks to her class and skin colour.

Yes. Iconoclasm.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iconoclasm

jobotic

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 02, 2022, 12:14:49 PMMaddie jokes were rooted in the same thing. Ultimately they stemmed from a knowledge of that the undue prominence given to her case by the media thanks to her class and skin colour.

Well yeah they were rooted in that, I get it. Not sure they stayed that way. Plus there were all the people who KNEW exactly what happened.

Anyway I don't want to derail the "why BLM are looters" thread.

Kankurette

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 02, 2022, 12:12:55 PMYes. It's like the stories you periodically see in the U.S. media about a child deciding to work three simultaneous paper rounds to pay off their friends' "school lunch debt" or something equally grim and it's framed as something feel-good and inspiring rather than a shameful indictement of a broken country.

The general drive from the UK media over recent years and particularly in the early pandemic to represent the NHS as some sort of scrappy charity that can just maybe be kept afloat by the love and support of the general public reaching into their pockets is evil and insidious in exactly the same way.
Bingo. It's not 'awww look at this old man raising loads of money for the NHS', it's 'how the fuck did we get to this point, that an old man feels he needs to raise money for the NHS, it shouldn't be like this'.

Spode

Is there any chance people could start using spoiler tags in this thread? I want to read it but I'm a latecomer to watching the news and he's currently on lap 85.

Cheers.

Buelligan

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 02, 2022, 12:12:55 PMYes. It's like the stories you periodically see in the U.S. media about a child deciding to work three simultaneous paper rounds to pay off their friends' "school lunch debt" or something equally grim and it's framed as something feel-good and inspiring rather than a shameful indictement of a broken country.

The general drive from the UK media over recent years and particularly in the early pandemic to represent the NHS as some sort of scrappy charity effort that can just maybe be kept afloat by the love and support of the general public reaching into their pockets is evil and insidious in exactly the same way.

I agree.  I studiously ignored the entirety of  the Tale of Our Brave Captain as soon as I smelled the disgusting odour of The Establishment prostituting another harmless old duffer to pay off its bar bill (and dressing it up as something golden and to be emulated, along with the deaths of all his comrades who died inglorious and painfully alone, for our Lords and Masters' hubris and to keep them standing on our necks).

The whole thing smells of corpses and venality.  There, I've said it.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 02, 2022, 11:53:59 AMWhy are you doing this? Why are pretending not to see my point about the media hysteria / charity looting? What about Madeline McCann, why did she deserve the abuse she got here? Or maybe when people were making jokes about her those jokes weren't actually *about her*, they were vicariously attacking the media hysteria.

So what point did you think you were making yesterday, in the two separate posts where you mocked the dying words of a black man who was murdered by the police?

Cause I still haven't read this whole thread and can't really be bothered to. You just seem like a weird racist guy, though. Albeit one who is using a grudge against CaB to be a cunt.

DrGreggles

Can people please stop quoting Van Bum Stain?
I've blocked his/her/their posts because they were giving me eye AIDS.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Okay then I think we're getting somewhere. When people here made Maddie jokes they weren't attacking her? But when the subject of George Floyd jokes comes up it's "wahhh you're racist y u attacking a dead black man" as if the same logic can't apply

Stigdu

Quote from: Spode on July 02, 2022, 12:19:06 PMIs there any chance people could start using spoiler tags in this thread? I want to read it but I'm a latecomer to watching the news and he's currently on lap 85.

Cheers.

Genuine LOL there. I've realised I'm definitely stupid. I've learnt another 2 words today. Hagiography and iconoclasm. Is it just very learned English teachers who post on this forum?

For what it's worth, I don't think Martin comes across as racist, rather just angry at the attention given to black people over white people (although I don't see that comparison myself, really).

DrGreggles

Those poor ignored white people...

Buelligan

Quote from: Stigdu on July 02, 2022, 12:25:30 PMIs it just very learned English teachers who post on this forum?

I think it's mainly cunts, if I'm honest.  Some of 'em know some big words but they're mostly alright.

jobotic

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 02, 2022, 12:23:59 PMOkay then I think we're getting somewhere. When people here made Maddie jokes they weren't attacking her? But when the subject of George Floyd jokes comes up it's "wahhh you're racist y u attacking a dead black man" as if the same logic can't apply

Did you make jokes?

Why are you so upset about the colour of his coffin?

What were you called on here before?

JamesTC

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 02, 2022, 12:21:14 PMSo what point did you think you were making yesterday, in the two separate posts where you mocked the dying words of a black man who was murdered by the police?

Cause I still haven't read this whole thread and can't really be bothered to. You just seem like a weird racist guy, though. Albeit one who is using a grudge against CaB to be a cunt.

What point was Chris Morris making when he said "snap the dying bitch" about Diana? The jokes I made were partly just morbid riffing after @touchingcloth made a dark joke, but partly just cathartically ridiculing a phrase that was used and exploited by politicans and grifters to attain money and power.

Dex Sawash

touchingcloth

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 02, 2022, 12:23:59 PMOkay then I think we're getting somewhere. When people here made Maddie jokes they weren't attacking her? But when the subject of George Floyd jokes comes up it's "wahhh you're racist y u attacking a dead black man" as if the same logic can't apply

The same logic can absolutely apply.

The difference is that by sheer luck George Floyd's murder was the one which made enough people say "fuck this". Maddie wasn't the latest child to go missing which finally triggered the media to say "enough" and finally give them the prominence they deserved.

The cases are different, and people treat them differently.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Stigdu on July 02, 2022, 12:25:30 PMFor what it's worth, I don't think Martin comes across as racist, rather just angry at the attention given to black people over white people (although I don't see that comparison myself, really).

I'm interested in this point because I don't see how i gave that impression. What did I say that made you think this?

Buelligan

Quote from: shoulders on July 02, 2022, 12:16:48 PMYes. Iconoclasm.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iconoclasm

I believe St Joan had some of those. 

I hope no one feels this is too soon.

ProvanFan

Video Game Fan 2000

anyone else think the victims of the Great Boston Molasses Disaster had it coming and have been coasting on media sympathy for far too long

JamesTC

Stigdu

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 02, 2022, 12:35:17 PMI'm interested in this point because I don't see how i gave that impression. What did I say that made you think this?

I can't find it now, tbh. I just want everyone to stop kayfabing as the constant iconoclasm and hagiography is starting to get to me.

Buelligan

Quote from: JamesTC on July 02, 2022, 12:41:41 PM

And then he escaped onto a log flume and sadly, had to be shot.  It was what he would have wanted.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 02, 2022, 10:38:33 AMSo you're saying BLM should get away with looting millions of dollars because they're black? Fuck all the genuinely needy black people who could have benefited from that money eh. Don't hold them to account.

if you gave enough of a shit to follow this out side of comedy forums you'd know that criticism of the institutional side of BLM is extremely common with activists going on nearly eight fucking years now. its hardly a taboo issue

zero to do with whether jokes about George Floyd are acceptable

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Buelligan on July 02, 2022, 12:43:21 PMAnd then he escaped onto a log flume and sadly, had to be shot.  It was what he would have wanted.

Just hope they don't make fun of your racist, fascist Daddy Putin. That'll have you spittin feathers 😡