Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:19:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

All of Us Strangers (2024)

Started by El Unicornio, mang, January 26, 2024, 12:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

Technically it's a 2023 film but only just got released in the UK proper today. Loosely based on a 1980s Japanese novel (which was made into a Japanese film in 1988 that made it more into a horror story) it's about a gay man reliving his past by visiting his childhood home, where his parents (long deceased) are appearing just as they were when he was a child, and are then coming to terms with his revelation about his sexuality. Paul Mescal is a lonely neighbour who enters his life one night.

The script is beautiful, could have come across badly in the wrong hands but is very delicately handled, and shot in a way which never quite lets you know what's real and what's not but always has a strong feeling of emotion and loss which any of us could relate to. Reminded me a little bit of the Inside no. 9 episode "The 12 Days of Christine" at times. Andrew Scott deservedly got a Golden Globe nomination for his performance, I might say that it's the best male acting performance I've seen in the past year. The other three actors are all really great too.

Also love the 80s details like how the bedroom is decorated, I had the exact same red pencil holder, and great use of songs by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Pet Shop Boys, etc.

Could be a double bill with last year's The Eternal Daughter as they have similar themes. Also there's a scene involving
Spoiler alert
semen being lapped up which is handled very differently to the one in Saltburn. A natural moment between two men who are very attracted to each other rather than "look at this gross shocking thing".
[close]

Mister Six

I thought this was another gay Brit film from last year that someone previously mentioned on here in which a gay bloke gets duffed up at the start, but that sounds a bit darker than this. Anyone know what that was?

Anyway, yeah, this is out in cinemas in the US so I'll probably see it after work this week.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Mister Six on January 26, 2024, 05:30:14 PMI thought this was another gay Brit film from last year that someone previously mentioned on here in which a gay bloke gets duffed up at the start, but that sounds a bit darker than this. Anyone know what that was?

Sunflower?

Or Femme?

Mister Six

It was Femme, thanks!

(Ooh, Nathan Stewart-Jarrett! I was wondering what he was up to just the other day. Glad he's getting roles beyond "boring straight man in offbeat, violent sci-fi comedy drama".)

non capisco

Saw it this morning, went in knowing nothing and was completely transfixed throughout. A beautiful film. Agree about the 12 Days Of Christine comparison but there's also a bit of Céline Sciamma's Petite Maman in there. I thought I was holding it together and then the
Spoiler alert
Pet Shop Boys/Christmas tree
[close]
bit happened and that was me gone. Can't recommend this one enough.

What is it about emotionally overwhelming films featuring Paul Mescal and sound-manipulated songs from Blur's 1997 self titled album?
Spoiler alert
Also, never thought I'd see a meaningful location for an emotional catharsis turn out to be The Whitgift Centre in Croydon.
[close]

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: non capisco on January 27, 2024, 03:37:04 PMthere's also a bit of Céline Sciamma's Petite Maman in there.

Good shout, one of my favourites of the past few years.

Minami Minegishi

Fucking hell. Saw this yesterday and it was indeed devestating. It walks an incredibly risky tightrope I thought, much like A Ghost Story, and could have absolutely fallen on its shitbox if executed badly.

I was sat in front of a row of good Irish grannies which made the whole thing more enjoyable. My arse clenched at the first sex scene (subconscious reaction I assume) but they were all admiring the boys and having a good giggle. Then for the last half hour they were fucking weeping their eyes out. I thought they were going to do some full-on chest beating and wailing at God's foresaking of these lovely boys.

Anyway, if I did jokey one sentence reviews on letterboxd I guess I would go with Shite Club or Petite Man or A Ghost Storey but they are all awful so I will just give my rating and shut up.

sevendaughters

I'd say Diet Aftersunkist.

It's good but I'm not raving about it.

lauraxsynthesis

Saw it this afternoon and it brought some bereavement stuff up for me, damn. Very much a weepie and I found myself wondering if I should resent or admire the filmmaker for manipulating me so effectively.

The exchange about one generation having negative associations with the word "queer" and the other having the same with "gay" was great. Having never thought of it that way before, it makes perfect sense. Loved all the Gen X gay music from the 80s. In the Guardian interview, the filmmaker talks about how important that was in the Section 28 era.

Was taken out of the story repeatedly by Adam's accent. I found myself trying to figure out if his dad was Irish, and wondering if his accent would ever be explained. They should have put the explanation much earlier because it was distracting.

Probably the first time I've seen spaff in a feature film. FIVE STARS FOR THAT.

I think I'll rewatch Truly, Madly, Deeply to get myself back on an even keel.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on January 28, 2024, 10:01:30 PMWas taken out of the story repeatedly by Adam's accent. I found myself trying to figure out if his dad was Irish, and wondering if his accent would ever be explained. They should have put the explanation much earlier because it was distracting.

This was troubling me but I think the Dad was Irish and it was mentioned that he went to live with his Gran age 12. My uncle lived in Glasgow for only a couple of years when he was a kid and developed the strongest Glasgow accent I've ever heard so it can happen.

sevendaughters

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on January 28, 2024, 10:01:30 PMSaw it this afternoon and it brought some bereavement stuff up for me, damn. Very much a weepie and I found myself wondering if I should resent or admire the filmmaker for manipulating me so effectively.

interesting - since being parentally bereaved I have found bereavement stuff in a lot of films feel alienating. I don't want to say 'wrong' because it's art and who am I to shit on someone's experience, and I can think of good reasons to make a film of extended fantasies of reparations with parents over how you've grown past the things about you they disapproved of. But I think it was the parents here that I was least into.

The Irish thing did make me think 'well I hope they explain this!' but they did so I was ok.

Mescal's northern accent was good!

greenman

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on January 27, 2024, 04:22:23 PMFucking hell. Saw this yesterday and it was indeed devestating. It walks an incredibly risky tightrope I thought, much like A Ghost Story, and could have absolutely fallen on its shitbox if executed badly

Superb film I'd agree, maybe the best I'v seen from (technically) last year, much of the content might sound a bit cliched on paper but its so artfully directed/performed that its really not and ends up giving things like the cultural references the genuine importance they have to people.

I felt it was especially effective...

Spoiler alert
The way it shifts from originally being a film you think is only a man coming to terms with losing his parents in a series of internal visions/encounters but gradually becomes more than that. Never directly stated its actually a ghost story but regardless of that moves towards his parents gradually becoming more self aware of their deaths and as much about their coming to terms with them which also obviously plays into the reveal at the end leaving you with a "twist" that doesn't feel like a cheap or unearnt reveal.
[close]

Never seen anything buy Haigh before but style wise this brought to mind Glazer for me, the same kind of whoozy atmosphere as Birth and Under the Skin with a empathic eye for drama but with the latter put more front and centre.

non capisco

Quote from: greenman on January 29, 2024, 05:48:12 PMNever seen anything buy Haigh before

He hasn't put a foot wrong with any of the stuff of his I've seen so you're in for a treat. Weekend, 45 Years and Lean On Pete are all superb. Still haunted by All Of Us Strangers days later, though.

greenman

I'm actually surprised Andrew Scott didnt get a serious Oscar push for this.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: greenman on January 29, 2024, 05:57:05 PMI'm actually surprised Andrew Scott didnt get a serious Oscar push for this.

I'm astonished. Easily the best single performance I saw amongst 2023 films.

Btw - is
Spoiler alert
Andrew Scott's character also dead?
[close]

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on January 29, 2024, 07:51:48 PMI'm astonished. Easily the best single performance I saw amongst 2023 films.

Btw - is
Spoiler alert
[close]

Spoiler alert
I don't think so but it could work with the aspect of the huge apartment complex which appears to only have him and Mescal "living" in it. Feels like some sort of afterlife place
[close]

I wonder if the lack of Oscar recognition might be due to it being released so late in the year? (End of December in the US) but also lots of amazing performances have been ignored (Mia Goth in Pearl for one)

C_Larence

Pearl came out in America in September 2022, so isn't eligible for this year's awards afaik.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: C_Larence on January 29, 2024, 08:51:18 PMPearl came out in America in September 2022, so isn't eligible for this year's awards afaik.

Oh I know, I meant for the previous Oscars. She did win the Fangoria Chainsaw Award though!

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 29, 2024, 08:40:51 PM
Spoiler alert
I don't think so but it could work with the aspect of the huge apartment complex which appears to only have him and Mescal "living" in it. Feels like some sort of afterlife place
[close]

It seemed to me that the
Spoiler alert
'moving on' that his parents are so keen for him to do is more related to finding peace in death. The final shot made me think he probably was dead, and that both were now able to move on. Scott's character needs to work through all of these issues so that he can be at peace.

I dunno, it works perfectly well or better without him being dead, but the internal logic of the film (the dead 'seeing' dead people) suggests to me that he is in some limbo, purgatory, therapy zone prior to death.
[close]

greenman

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 29, 2024, 08:40:51 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]

I wonder if the lack of Oscar recognition might be due to it being released so late in the year? (End of December in the US) but also lots of amazing performances have been ignored (Mia Goth in Pearl for one)

Spoiler alert
It did seem to be the film was playing around with that idea and we did have Scott's character getting progressively more unwell during the film which almost seemed like it could be some AIDs reference(he does specifically state otherwise with his parents tho) although honestly I'm glad things didnt go in that direction as it does seem a bit cliched. Perhaps its a bit of a holdover from the original novel which going from the wiki synopsis has the parents explicitly as ghosts who are somehow draining his life. Here it seems to end up more as a reflection of his emotional state though and regressing to a position of childhood.

Honestly I felt the whole thing ended up being figurative as much as anything, not looking to represent a specific mystery to unpick. Could maybe be taken as a dream of Scott's character dealing with real elements of his life with things like living alone in the tower block a dramatic effect.
[close]

Time wise for the Oscars Glazers Zone of Interest has gotten nominations with a latter release but I spose also with a stronger previous rep and probably more festival screenings? maybe this is a bit too specifically british in its cultural refferences? although really the drama is obviously very universal.

The Oscars generally though I feel its getting very unpredictable what gets nominated as it seems to be pulling in rather more directions than the traditional prestige Hollywood "bait" style stuff, some artier stuff is getting noms but generally tends to have more Hollywood connections than I suspect this does.

Either way its good to see Scott going from someone who gets praise but often ends up in supporting character roles to having a truely great performance which hopefully will result in more.

non capisco

Spoiler alert
The frequent references to him feeling hot/burning up seemed to suggest some kind of illness and the empty hotel setting really reminded me of the 'Kevin Finnerty' episodes of The Sopranos where Tony is comatose and trapped in a dream. Agree with Minami Minegishi that it works either way though.
[close]

What a film.

Wet Blanket

I was convinced it would turn out:

Spoiler alert
Adam was in limbo as he burned to death in a fire - the film starts with a fire alarm; Harry's first words to him are 'one of these days that alarm is going to be real'; people keep observing he feels warm; as the film goes on he starts to cough, as if from smoke inhalation.

During one sequence you can hear the beeps of a life support machine in the hubbub of the tube, and he wakes up to blue flashing lights - but this could also be wrapped up in the memory of his parents' crash.

This is also why they're the only two in the building (everyone else got out) and why in the final moment they're engulfed in light and turn to a star.
[close]

I went in expecting a relatively straightforward weepie but it was so much more. Not seen anything else by Andrew Haigh, are they similarly offbeat?

Also came out with a greater appreciation of Blur's Death of a Party. Sounded pretty immense on the cinema sound system.

This film. Scene after scene of heartbreak. It just destroyed me.

Spoiler alert
It reminded me of Spirited Away which I was not expecting
[close]

It might be one of my favourite films.

Spoiler alert
I'm definitely on board with the died in a fire theory. They were all blundering their way through the afterlife and it is was beautiful
[close]

Mister Six

Quote from: greenman on January 29, 2024, 11:41:12 PMTime wise for the Oscars Glazers Zone of Interest has gotten nominations with a latter release but I spose also with a stronger previous rep and probably more festival screenings? maybe this is a bit too specifically british in its cultural refferences? although really the drama is obviously very universal.

I think it probably suffered from not having enough money behind it to do the usual Oscars push, and not having a name like Glazer's bolted onto it.

Anyway, I thought this was a gorgeous, brilliant film and worth the trek into deepest Queens to find a cinema still playing it - it was marred only by a gaggle of twentysomething twats who came into the otherwise empty auditorium late and muttered and giggled throughout all of the quiet and emotional scenes.

Why were they even there!? They had popcorn and drinks, so presumably this was their intended screening. If they just wanted to chat in a dark room, why couldn't they go to the CGI film about ducks one screen over, or stand on subway tracks or something?

ANYWAY, I thought this was a lovely, beautifully observed and stunningly shot film. I don't have a huge amount to say that hasn't already been said, but despite my antipathy towards the "they were dead/dying all along" endings, I've been swayed by the arguments in here. Partly because it doesn't materially affect the meaning or close of the film, but also because it neatly solves the question in my head of "Christ, how're they going to make that relationship work?"

The idea that all four of the characters resolve their own Earthly problems and are then free to move on with one another where necessary is a lovely one (although it sounds like Mescal would have his own parental issues?).

Do we see the faces of anyone else in this world, other than the family on the train and the people in the gay club? Did we get a proper look at the people on the Underground when Andrew Scott was freaking out, post-ketamine?

This'll end up being be my film of 2024 (yes, I'm counting it for 2024, it only opened a week before the end of December in the US), I reckon. A whole year of being mildly disappointed! Yay!

greenman

It does arguably go against the idea that Scott's character simply carrying on with life after his experiences is something his parents are proud of even if he's not massively successful.

As you say though I think its intended to be taken mostly at face value rather than picked apart for hidden elements. Its ultimately the dreamlike story of someone who deals with his own personal issues and in doing so becomes more empathic and able to deal with other peoples.

lipsink

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on January 29, 2024, 07:51:48 PMI'm astonished. Easily the best single performance I saw amongst 2023 films.

Btw - is
Spoiler alert
[close]

EMPIRE seems to think it's a possibility. (Spoilers obviously)

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/all-of-us-strangers-ending-explained/

Anyway, I loved this. Absolutely devastating. Cried buckets in the cinema. Film of the year (even though it's technically a 2023 movie)

Mister Six

Quote from: greenman on February 01, 2024, 07:22:24 AMIt does arguably go against the idea that Scott's character simply carrying on with life after his experiences is something his parents are proud of even if he's not massively successful.

How so? They're proud of who he became after their deaths. If he dies at the start of the film, that doesn't contradict anything (plus, they don't seem to fully understand the mechanics of the whole thing, so it's not like they'll necessarily know whether he's alive or dead or what).

On another note, how successful do we reckon he is? I assumed he was doing pretty well for himself, financially at least, with that gorgeous flat. But maybe it was sold cheap to get people in the door, or the development is struggling a bit.

He talks down his achievements, but his problems seem to be more along the lines of social/romantic fulfillment than his career. I suppose it's not really that important, but it was something I was thinking about at the start.

greenman

Pretty much everything we see does I think have some question whether its figurative or intended to represent realism but if you take it as the latter he says he does script work "when he needs to" so I'm guessing reasonably successful if he has people coming to him. Felt a bit like there was some kind of representation of Haige himself in the choice of career.

Looking at Haige's Wiki I see he picked Uzak in his Sight and Sound top 10, always a good sign and I think this does create a similar kind of atmosphere even if its much more forthright with the drama.

Mister Six

For those who are wondering, Uzak is in Letterboxd as Distant (2002), director Nuri Bulge Ceylan. The other two Uzaks (2014 and 2018) are presumably unrelated.