Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:44:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Demons (Lamberto Bava, 1985)

Started by The F Bomb, February 04, 2024, 09:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The F Bomb

I just watched this for the first time in a few years. Very good Italian horror schlock. Co-written and co-produced by Dario Argento and directed by Lamberto Bava, son of the great Mario Bava, with a soundtrack by Claudio Simonetti out of Goblin. It's got serious pedigree, for the form.

Colourful, gory, enjoyably naff new wave rockin synth soundtrack, film within a film, meta antics, lurid goo and blood, cool cinema setting, loads of weird red herrings, motorbikes and samurai swords. Unusually for this kind of thing, no tits. Edit just remembered the comedy street punks and the tits.

Great fun film.

greenman

Punks loved Go West.

Very fun film I'd agree but besides that I do wonder what the point seemed to be around the cinema itself, when they break though the wall especially seems to be implying some sort of evil to the location itself, maybe reading too much into it but so implication of a Nazi past?

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: The F Bomb on February 04, 2024, 09:01:04 PMI just watched this for the first time in a few years. Very good Italian horror schlock. Co-written and co-produced by Dario Argento and directed by Lamberto Bava, son of the great Mario Bava, with a soundtrack by Claudio Simonetti out of Goblin. It's got serious pedigree, for the form.

Colourful, gory, enjoyably naff new wave rockin synth soundtrack, film within a film, meta antics, lurid goo and blood, cool cinema setting, loads of weird red herrings, motorbikes and samurai swords. Unusually for this kind of thing, no tits. Edit just remembered the comedy street punks and the tits.

Great fun film.

Haha I'm glad you remembered as I always thought the razor blade cocaine tit was one of the most memorable screen tits

Tony the cruel pimp makes me laugh something fierce. A great cartoon version of the type of person who'd never appear in a cartoon.

ASFTSN

"That'll teach you to touch things!"

madhair60

Magnum Valentino

greenman

I must admit I quite liked Demons 2, not as good as the original and even sillier whilst recycling much of it but it still feels like its got a decent amount of effort and charm to it, not seen anything beyond that though which tends to have a very bad rep.

Magnum Valentino

I didn't even know there were more.

Asia Argento's in 2 isn't she? I remember thinking it was a shame the apartment building setting didn't make for a great film, and got excited when I saw the trailer for the last Evil Dead but couldn't stomach more than ten minutes of that either.

dead-ced-dead

Demons was among the first B-movies I watched, and it really holds up. As you say, fun, gooey, silly, all the stuff a young, growing DCD after watching Evil Dead 2 for the first time.

phantom_power

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 05, 2024, 10:44:08 AMI didn't even know there were more.

Asia Argento's in 2 isn't she? I remember thinking it was a shame the apartment building setting didn't make for a great film, and got excited when I saw the trailer for the last Evil Dead but couldn't stomach more than ten minutes of that either.

She is

There are more Demons films but none are proper sequels, just cash-ins that had name changes taking advantage of lax Italian copyright laws. Like Demons 3: The Ogre by Lamberto Bava himself, or Demoni 3 (that being the Italian name) by Umberto Lenzi. Michele Soavi, who played the man in the silver mask in the first film, originally wanted The Church to be a Demons sequel as well, though moved away from that in the end

Jerzy Bondov

Heads up guys, Demons (Toshio Matsumoto, 1971) is NOT part of this series.

AliasTheCat

A great example of Checkhov's Katana and Dirtbike.

Really fun, with quite a nasty edge.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: The F Bomb on February 04, 2024, 09:01:04 PMI just watched this for the first time in a few years.

Weird as when I suggested Versus the other day I was first going to recommend this but I thought of course Bosto would have seen that.  Great film.  I take it you've seen Stage Fright (not Demons but same energy in parts).

Also what about this

Absolutely nothing on Demons but fun, mad and bad shit all the same (def one in the so bad it's good genre).