Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:28:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fair Play (2023 Netflix film)

Started by Icehaven, February 08, 2024, 02:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Anyone else bothered with this? It was much talked about, apparently, although tbh I've just read one article that said as much but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.
Anyway it's a glossy looking production examining modern gender and workplace politics etc. etc. etc., about an ambitious young couple both working in high finance, she gets promoted, he gets jealous, and it goes pretty much exactly as you'd predict from there. I might be giving it more credit than it's due but while it wasn't brilliant by any means and was fairly predictable there's a few plot points that mean it's less straightforward than "he's jealous". E.g. I was interested in why it was written so
Spoiler alert
at first he wrongly thinks he's got the promotion, and it's her that mistakenly tells him so. Him never thinking he'd got it, or having someone else wrongly tell him he did rather than her would have put a different slant on it entirely, but because it's almost as if he had and then lost the job (even though he didn't), and the person who led him to believe so is also the person that does get it, and is also his fiancee, is that supposed to make his reaction more sympathetic? And does it?
[close]
Spoiler alert
I don't know what to make of the r*pe "twist" if that's even the right term. Obviously it's deliberately ambivalent as they clearly disagree on what actually happened but it felt either a bit manipulative for the sake of being manipulative or as if the writer couldn't decide which way to go, not least because that whole interaction starting consensually in the first place seemed rather unlikely, or maybe I'm just unromantic.
[close]

On the whole not as clever as it thought it was and downright silly in places but at least it makes you extremely glad you don't work in finance earning shitloads of money because you apparently have to deal with the worst fucking people on the earth then turn into one.