Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:23:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Questions about plot-holes in The Wicker Man (1973 basket weaving film)

Started by ASFTSN, February 19, 2024, 11:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

Glebe

Rowan Morrison would go on to make Del Boy fly up on a hang-glider of course.

Fambo Number Mive

If he had failed their "test", would they have killed him anyway, just not in the wicker man? I imagine he would have known too much to be allowed to leave.

I feel very sorry for the Sergeant. We are meant to sympathise with him, aren't we?

Magnum Valentino

I suppose the question is whether it's worse to murder someone or to impose your beliefs on an entire island of people, constantly, without growth or consideration, because you think your God wants you to. And he's a cop to boot! The ultimate fascist?

I flit between sympathy and resentment but I think a lot of the sympathy comes from Woodward's performance. Generally, on the page as they say, Howie is an unsympathetic character.

Dr Rock

If he'd succumbed to Britt Ekland and knocked on her door, she could've said 'no thanks mate'. He'd still be a virgin.

Dr Rock

The question is, what would've happened if the rozzers sent someone who had done a sex. Maybe the virgin thing was just a bonus.

Brundle-Fly

I finally saw The Wicker Tree (2011) a few years ago and although it wasn't a train crash like the remake, I can honestly say I cannot remember a single detail about it, (apart from Christopher Lee bending over backwards in promo interviews tetchily reiterating that 'The Old Man' is NOT Lord Summerisle, and anyone who even suggests this should be burnt alive in a giant wicker effigy. Any thoughts on it?

Waking Life

The whole Rowan Morrison thing isn't really needed either once he's on the island. They tamper with his plane so the 'investigation' is moot, especially since they're all pretty half hearted about covering her existence up.

I know it's obviously a plot device, but from the islanders perspective, is that just to draw it to properly test his faith? Or so he runs to the effigy at the end (of his own free will)? Or just for their own amusement?

DrGreggles

Brundle-Fly

Also if the crops did fail after all this effort, (and even after burning Lord Summerisle the following year on Howie's suggestion), would the locals then have to sheepishly travel to the mainland to do all their food shopping from now on?

ASFTSN

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 22, 2024, 09:10:01 AMAlso if the crops did fail after all this effort, (and even after burning Lord Summerisle the following year on Howie's suggestion), would the locals then have to sheepishly travel to the mainland to do all their food shopping from now on?

Well they're all eating tinned peaches/lima beans in the film 'coz the crops failed, so I don't think it's a subsistence thing. I guess it's the island's economy that's at stake. That and they've all gone squishy in the head and someone's gotta die if the god of the orchard's peeved.

BJBMK2

Quote from: Waking Life on February 22, 2024, 08:56:40 AMThe whole Rowan Morrison thing isn't really needed either once he's on the island. They tamper with his plane so the 'investigation' is moot, especially since they're all pretty half hearted about covering her existence up.

I know it's obviously a plot device, but from the islanders perspective, is that just to draw it to properly test his faith? Or so he runs to the effigy at the end (of his own free will)? Or just for their own amusement?

This, I would say. From his point of view, he's the hero who's saving a missing girl from being murdered. It's mentioned that he COULD feasibly get back to the mainland, maybe not that day, but it's not like he's now stranded forever at that point. But in his mind, that's leaving a little girl to die. So it's about keeping that narrative in his head.

jobotic

The pub seems stocked like it's on the Mainland doesn't it? If the crops fail just eat Big D.

Anyway great film. Could have only been improved by being called The 100% Mega-Virgin.

madhair60

BJBMK2

I wish the OST included more of the little interludes and bits of score. Like the funktastic little number that plays when Howie and Rowan are running through the caves. Or that sinister ethereal drone that creeps in just as Howie's desperately trying to get Summerisle and the villagers to see sense. 

BlodwynPig

Never watched this. Is it worth it after all these years and seeing clips that didn't exactly excite. Does it have an edge?

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 22, 2024, 06:26:57 AMIf he had failed their "test", would they have killed him anyway, just not in the wicker man? I imagine he would have known too much to be allowed to leave.

I don't think so, the only crime that has occurred is the disappearance of Rowan. They could easily say she's been found and then, regardless of all the kinky shit he found, there would be no cause for him to stay on the island.

Then, as he flies off, pile another girl into the wicker man and burn her instead.

ASFTSN

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 22, 2024, 03:10:12 PMNever watched this. Is it worth it after all these years and seeing clips that didn't exactly excite. Does it have an edge?

Not sure about an edge, but having seen what you post about in terms of your taste for horror (downbeat, slow and atmospheric things) I'm very surprised you haven't seen it and think you'd enjoy it quite a bit. It isn't exactly horror in many senses (almost all of it is shot in daylight for example) but I'd say give it a go.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: ASFTSN on February 22, 2024, 03:35:20 PMNot sure about an edge, but having seen what you post about in terms of your taste for horror (downbeat, slow and atmospheric things) I'm very surprised you haven't seen it and think you'd enjoy it quite a bit. It isn't exactly horror in many senses (almost all of it is shot in daylight for example) but I'd say give it a go.

Thanks. Midsommer was mostly sunlight too and hit the right beats but didn't linger in my mind, like a blair witch did. Will watch it soon!

Dr Rock

BJBMK2

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 22, 2024, 03:45:33 PMI wonder what happens next. Coppers don't just 'disappear.'

Always felt that was desperation on Summerisles part, his cry of "There will be no traces!", when Howie points out that people will be looking for him. Ties in with the previously discussed moment where he considers his own probable fate, as next in line to be cooked.

Dr Rock

A police officer interviewing one of the island's many children about the disappearance of PC Howie 'Lord Summerisle says we should say he seemed sad, and was always hanging around the cliff's edge... we didn't burn him!'

jobotic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 22, 2024, 03:10:12 PMNever watched this. Is it worth it after all these years and seeing clips that didn't exactly excite. Does it have an edge?

Reckon the soundtrack will jazz you even if the film doesn't.

Brundle-Fly

studpuppet

It's considered to be one third of an 'English Folk Horror' trilogy, along with Witchfinder General and Blood On Satan's Claw, only latter I'd consider to be horror in the traditional 'Hammer' sense.

There's a good book on them:

BlodwynPig

Ive been watching folk horror "essays" on youtube, it's a genre i prefer in print. For me, Kill List is the pinnacle. But very bored by the odd village or cult trope.

The clip i saw of woodward and lee did whet my appetite.

Waking Life

On a related note, that Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched folk horror documentary is now available to watch on Prime (was previously only on Shudder).

I love a lot of the films in it - and it's introduced me to a lot of others too - but the documentary itself feels pretty aimless. For three hours. They cast the folk horror net very wide to almost encompass any 'quirky' horror, although I liked the earlier sections (particularly the 70s British TV horror).

The Wicker Man is probably the film most prominently featured.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 22, 2024, 09:09:24 AMIs it a comedy?
If not, it's very funny anyway.

I think it's a very dark comedy, just like it's a musical and a procedural and is really only a horror movie in its last ten minutes or so (and even there, Howie crying out "JESUS CHRIST!" at that key moment is pretty fucking funny too). Coming into it pre-spoiled (and who doesn't know what happens in the end, even if they've never seen it?) makes it even more entertaining in my eyes, especially some of Lee's reactions during his first meeting with Howie.

Though it's a very British film, it's a major cult (heh) item here in the States. We even put Lord Summerisle on our currency!