Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:11:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sam Mendes' Beatles quadrilogy (2027)

Started by Bad Ambassador, February 20, 2024, 02:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

Quote from: Gulftastic on February 22, 2024, 10:34:06 AMIf they're a big hit, then there's almost no limit to possible future versions based on anyone who ever got dubbed 'the fifth Beatle'.

Slacker style shift of focus film and throughout showing the Beatles from the point of Brian Epstein, Pete Best, Bernard Purdie, Stuart Sutcliffe, a German cinema owner, Japanese police, Eric Clapton hiding outside the bushes of George Harrisons house and then post credit sequence with Jeff Lynne exclaiming out loud that while Real Love is one of the best songs they've ever written he needs to fuck this up by adding ELO elements

surreal

These won't all be released on the same day surely, so what would be the order?
I'd guess:

Paul (first cos ego and still kicking around so can help with promotion)
George (quite a lot of interesting things to include)
Ringo (probably the least likely to do well)
John (a big finale to round off the series)

SteveDave

Knives Out 4- Who Killed Brian Epstein?

Benoit Blanc travels back in time to solve the murder of Epstein with all four Beatles as suspects.

dead-ced-dead

I remember when the Peter Jackson Get Back doc came out, social media concluded that George came across the best, so I wouldn't be surprised if his film ended up as the most liked again.

He seems a good candidate for the hindsight hero. Very talented but perhaps not as talented as Lennon/McCartney and someone whose talent bloomed late in the day. You got your spiritual angle and being one of the biggest drivers behind their push to psychedelia.

They also got the bullying angle and having his work sidelined by a jealous McCartney and Lennon. Though that would only work if McCartney agrees to let his depiction be that of an antagonist in George's movie.

Gulftastic

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 22, 2024, 11:20:25 AMRingo is like The Hobbit in that they inexplicably take the one with the least material and stretch it out into a separate trilogy

He might insist on it portraying him like some kind of super fanny magnet, like the drummer in the Queen film.

Butchers Blind

Hopefully they'll be a shortened version of all four films, a sort of best of the Beatles.

kalowski

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on February 22, 2024, 02:00:04 PMI remember when the Peter Jackson Get Back doc came out, social media concluded that George came across the best, so I wouldn't be surprised if his film ended up as the most liked again.

He seems a good candidate for the hindsight hero. Very talented but perhaps not as talented as Lennon/McCartney and someone whose talent bloomed late in the day. You got your spiritual angle and being one of the biggest drivers behind their push to psychedelia.

They also got the bullying angle and having his work sidelined by a jealous McCartney and Lennon. Though that would only work if McCartney agrees to let his depiction be that of an antagonist in George's movie.
Just as long as they highlight just how bad George's guitar solos were in the early years. He kills that storming cover of Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey

purlieu

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 20, 2024, 04:58:02 PMIs it really this easy to make money from Beatles fans?
Have you seen how many versions of his albums Paul puts out? Six months after release he'll pinch out a version in a plastic suitcase with a map or one combining some of (but not all of) the bonus tracks from previous versions.

jamiefairlie

I hope they show Ringo hidden in the shadows watching George shagging Maureen intercut with scenes of Clapton stalking Pattie through the trees of Friar Park.

Blimey I scared myself then.

George White

Quote from: Goldentony on February 22, 2024, 01:30:45 PMBernard Purdie,
Someone must adapt My Beatles Hell - the Story of Beryl Adams.

surreal

kalowski

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: surreal on February 23, 2024, 01:49:48 PMI hope they include all of this

Instead of John Paul George and Ringo, they should do films about Heather Mills, Cynthia Lennon, Yoko Ono, Patti Boyd, Linda Eastman, Jane Asher, and Barbara Bach. That would be an awesome Septology to rival Harry Potter or the Carry-Ons.

Garam

Excitedly going to see the PAUL film and accidentally sitting through a re-release of the Simon Pegg alien film and feeling thoroughly fucked off

Butchers Blind

Waiting to see who will win the Beatles. Money on Ringo.
Got a nice little payout when Barry won the Bee Gees.

non capisco

Paul one is going to be a shot for shot remake of Give My Regards To Broad Street.

dissolute ocelot

Feature length frog chorus movie!

Definitely think Sam Mendes is the wrong director for this. His films all look very well-made and nicely shot and edited, but does he have even one original artistic vision to distinguish a movie on a topic that's been recycled 1000 times, let alone four different artistic visions? Is he going to shoot it in a single take?

It's just gonna be well-shot footage of them playing the rooftop from four different angles. (Which has already been reconstructed for an IMAX movie according to internets.)

Mwnger

Does this mean that, for example, Paul will be:

-the hero in his movie
-the villain in George's
-the unsympathetic boss in Ringo's
-the love interest in John's

...and all the other POV variations?

It's got potential.

Don't trust Sam Mendes to fulfill it though.