Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:53:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sweary Poppins

Started by jamiefairlie, February 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

I see Hottentot is now offside. What am I going to say now when the temperature is too high?

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-68402362

Goldentony

the only two uses of that term that i've ever heard are the 1964 children's musical comedy film Mary Poppins and the lyrics to the song Thee Most Exhalted Potentate Of Love from the Smell Of Female EP by The Cramps

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Goldentony on February 26, 2024, 03:20:15 PMthe only two uses of that term that i've ever heard are the 1964 children's musical comedy film Mary Poppins and the lyrics to the song Thee Most Exhalted Potentate Of Love from the Smell Of Female EP by The Cramps

Also in a song by Shakespears Sister. Was never curious enough to ask what is means though.

Goldentony

Quote from: checkoutgirl on February 26, 2024, 03:37:20 PMAlso in a song by Shakespears Sister. Was never curious enough to ask what is means though.

OK, so far this seems mostly to be an issue among 80s goths from what I can tell

Gulftastic

Gammon snowflakes are screaming about this on Twitter. This is censorship gone mad (despite there being no actual censorship) and means the end of the world.

Goldentony

shit, the 80s goth call was right! what the fuck was happening in the 80s!!!

phantom_power

Well I don't know what this word means so how can it possibly be offensive?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Honestly they should make it an 18 so that no child has to sit through it ever again

frajer

🎶 Can't say a thing,
Can't say a thing
These days, can you?

I've got a film it's now racist to view
🎶

El Unicornio, mang

The Cowardly Luon uses the word in Wizard of Oz

QuoteWhat makes the Hottentot so hot?

So presumably that'll be getting its rating bumped up at some point too

Famous Mortimer

Love the thought of gammons organising "Mary Poppins" watch parties

Butchers Blind

I'd never heard the word until that article. That's right, I've never watched Mary Poppins.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on February 26, 2024, 06:44:10 PMThe Cowardly Luon uses the word in Wizard of Oz

So presumably that'll be getting its rating bumped up at some point too

Yeah but that's because of them hanging midgets in the background as a lesson to any of the rest of the jumped up little cunts asking for a pay rise.

frajer

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 26, 2024, 07:08:34 PMYeah but that's because of them hanging midgets in the background as a lesson to any of the rest of the jumped up little cunts asking for a pay rise.

Also when the Cowardly Lion says put em upppp put em upppp he's talking about cocks into arses.

Ban this sick filth.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: frajer on February 26, 2024, 07:12:20 PMAlso when the Cowardly Lion says put em upppp put em upppp he's talking about cocks into arses.

Ban this sick filth.

And the Tin Man's all stiff and needs oiling, yeah I bet he does, the sick perv.

Butchers Blind

The Sound of Music is a U but there's that scene where the other nuns call Maria a dirty slag.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 26, 2024, 07:25:27 PMThe Sound of Music is a U but there's that scene where the other nuns call Maria a dirty slag.

And then all lez up, well in the version I saw they did anyway. On reflection I'm not at all sure they were real nuns to be honest.

Kankurette

Only song I've heard it in is Tom Lehrer's We Will All Go Together When We Go, which was written in the '50s, I think?

Bad Ambassador

And it uses the word 'Eskimo' in the same line, although it's now often considered offensive. Lehrer gets a pass, I think, because of the times and his generally progressive outlook.

Noodle Lizard

I don't see why they don't just merge the U and PG ratings together, there's no practical difference between the two.

I'm not sure about the merit of changing a certificate from one to the other over an archaic slur which you wouldn't be aware of before going in, though, wouldn't it be better to add one of those "some of this old shit might be upsetting now" disclaimers to the head of it? Sometimes I wonder if the BBFC just does things to remind you they're there.

Kankurette

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on February 26, 2024, 09:31:07 PMAnd it uses the word 'Eskimo' in the same line, although it's now often considered offensive. Lehrer gets a pass, I think, because of the times and his generally progressive outlook.
Yeah, he does use 'wetback' in one version of In Old Mexico but he's not too bad on the slur front otherwise.

The Mollusk

And yet Dycke Van Dyke's cockneyface gets a free pass? Makes me sick. Makes you sick as well. Sick world.

madhair60

Senior Baiano

I heard that pakistani grooming gangs ordered them1 to ban mary poppins. And they2 had to do it, because of woke.

1 unspecified
2 unspecified

Mr Vegetables

The context of this is that an old man who used to be in the navy mistakes some chimney sweeps for black people, then starts firing at them with cannons which he has in a boat on the  the top of his house

I'm surprised that nobody said anything about that bit really

Midas

Never actually watched this

Went on YouTube and spent what felt like hours alone in the shivering cold watching Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious with funereal solemnity

This is good, is it

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 26, 2024, 07:25:27 PMThe Sound of Music is a U but there's that scene where the other nuns call Maria a dirty slag.

Every one of the 'favourite things' she lists are euphemisms for kinky sex stuff.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Mr Banlon on February 27, 2024, 02:17:13 AMEvery one of the 'favourite things' she lists are euphemisms for kinky sex stuff.
I put my foot through the CD player and sent Julie Andrews the bill