Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:20:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sweary Poppins

Started by jamiefairlie, February 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Its not THAT rare a word, when that film about Sarah Bartman Black Venus came out in 2010 she was referred to by it.

dissolute ocelot

Is some of the problem that in the film it's used as a general term for black people (and chimbley sweeps) rather than as an outdated ethnographic term for the Khoikhoi?

Hoping someone will demonstrate the penguins are based on minstrelsy and the kids were all racist. One of the film's main messages is that women shouldn't be out doing feminism, they should be at home looking after kids and serving the men of the banking industry. So really why is it any more acceptable than all the world war 2 propaganda cartoons with slant-eyed incorrectly-hatted tiny Japanese villains flying kamikazi sushi at good Western fish and chip shops?

phantom_power

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 26, 2024, 09:33:24 PMI don't see why they don't just merge the U and PG ratings together, there's no practical difference between the two.

I'm not sure about the merit of changing a certificate from one to the other over an archaic slur which you wouldn't be aware of before going in, though, wouldn't it be better to add one of those "some of this old shit might be upsetting now" disclaimers to the head of it? Sometimes I wonder if the BBFC just does things to remind you they're there.

I blame Natasha Kaplinsky

Armour of God on Amazon has a "it was just the times, man" type warning at the start, but then the first scene is a load of "ooga booga" African stereotypes that I think are just Chinese or Western people blacked up (they are wearing masks so you can't see their faces but their arms look suspiciously uneven in tone). That seems the way to go. Let people make up their own minds

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: phantom_power on February 27, 2024, 09:04:06 AMI blame Natasha Kaplinsky

Armour of God on Amazon has a "it was just the times, man" type warning at the start, but then the first scene is a load of "ooga booga" African stereotypes that I think are just Chinese or Western people blacked up (they are wearing masks so you can't see their faces but their arms look suspiciously uneven in tone). That seems the way to go. Let people make up their own minds
I feel like a lot of Jackie Chan movies should have a "attitudes towards women have changed quite a bit" disclaimer at the beginning, too.

Chim-chiminey chim-chiminey chim-chim-cheruckyourself

phantom_power

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 27, 2024, 02:19:56 PMI feel like a lot of Jackie Chan movies should have a "attitudes towards women have changed quite a bit" disclaimer at the beginning, too.

A lot of Hong Kong films from the 70s/80s in general I would say. Way of the Dragon has some dodgy gay stereotypes, as do a lot of HK films from that era

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: phantom_power on February 27, 2024, 02:38:09 PMA lot of Hong Kong films from the 70s/80s in general I would say. Way of the Dragon has some dodgy gay stereotypes, as do a lot of HK films from that era
Well, yes, but you specifically mentioned a Jackie Chan movie, so I was continuing in a similar vein.

Has anyone said this yet:

Mary Poopins

bgmnts

Quote from: phantom_power on February 27, 2024, 02:38:09 PMA lot of Hong Kong films from the 70s/80s in general I would say. Way of the Dragon has some dodgy gay stereotypes, as do a lot of HK films from that era

Enter the Dragon has some ludicrous racism at the start.

Although I don't think I've paid much attention to any Shaw Brothers story; they're pure spectacle and choreography.

jamiefairlie

Warning: mobile phones had not been invented at the time this movie was made, so the plot is not ludicrous.

phantom_power

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 27, 2024, 03:48:08 PMWell, yes, but you specifically mentioned a Jackie Chan movie, so I was continuing in a similar vein.

And then I was continuing it. Basically all films made before....say....2016 should have that warning

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: madhair60 on February 26, 2024, 11:17:05 PMWHAT van WHAT??? etc

Try looking up anything he stars in on Genome.  The entry is protected with a disclaimer and requires an extra click to see it!

thenoise

Quote from: phantom_power on February 27, 2024, 04:05:35 PMAnd then I was continuing it. Basically all films made before....say....2016 should have that warning

Sure we should have a warning on films made nowadays too, for the changing attitudes of the future?

thenoise

Adjusting the certificate rather than cutting older films is the preferred way nowadays. Eg Temple of Doom has all its grisly grue intact and has been released with a 12 rating. Perhaps for daytime ITV showings the offending word could be dubbed over by something more acceptable to modern sensitivities ("African Americans!") in a completely different voice.

Noodle Lizard

Yeah, PG to 12 makes sense - especially since plenty of older films didn't have the option - and I'd say there are plenty of 18s/15s which could do with being demoted to 12s/15s. It's changing a U to a PG, despite them being virtually the same thing, that doesn't make much sense to me.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: thenoise on February 27, 2024, 05:31:18 PMAdjusting the certificate rather than cutting older films is the preferred way nowadays. Eg Temple of Doom has all its grisly grue intact

I think that was because they added back all the stuff that was cut from the original UK release? I only saw the US cut a couple of years ago and there was a lot of graphic stuff I hadn't seen before.

I know a lot of films have been adjusted recently, like The Godfather sensibly now a 15 rather than 18

Fambo Number Mive

I used to think they sang "Stepney Boy" instead of "Step in Time". Used to play the "under the table" bit in the kitchen.

Sister Suffragrette is a banger of a song, despite the film's sexist view of women standing up for themselves. Love Cook's weird marching. Anyone marched around the house to this tune?

Noodle Lizard

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on February 27, 2024, 10:36:59 PMI think that was because they added back all the stuff that was cut from the original UK release? I only saw the US cut a couple of years ago and there was a lot of graphic stuff I hadn't seen before.

It's weird seeing the US versions of movies I'd watched countless times growing up in the UK, and all the shots I never knew existed. I just watched The Matrix again not long ago and I had no idea how much had been cut from the UK version. There's one bit in the subway fight between Neo and Agent Smith which always made me laugh as a kid because there's an odd cut to Neo gawping and kind of jutting his face out - turns out it's the aftermath of a snipped headbutt!

The opposite is also true in some cases. The US version of the first Austin Powers, for instance, cuts out entire subplots and some of the best jokes in order to get a PG-13. It's significantly worse, and American friends of mine had no idea that Christian Slater was in it.

buzby

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 28, 2024, 08:03:51 AMThe opposite is also true in some cases. The US version of the first Austin Powers, for instance, cuts out entire subplots and some of the best jokes in order to get a PG-13. It's significantly worse, and American friends of mine had no idea that Christian Slater was in it.

This was also the case with Blade Runner, with the US Theatrical Cut having some of the shots containing violence, gore and nudity and dialogue containing profanity substituted compared to the International Cut that was released everywhere else. The US Cut still had an R rating, the International Cut got an AA  rating in the UK.

bobloblaw

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on February 27, 2024, 10:36:59 PMI think that was because they added back all the stuff that was cut from the original UK release? I only saw the US cut a couple of years ago and there was a lot of graphic stuff I hadn't seen before.

I know a lot of films have been adjusted recently, like The Godfather sensibly now a 15 rather than 18

Fight Club's a 15 now, which makes me feel very old. All manner of fuss when that came out

bobloblaw

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 28, 2024, 08:03:51 AMIt's weird seeing the US versions of movies I'd watched countless times growing up in the UK, and all the shots I never knew existed. I just watched The Matrix again not long ago and I had no idea how much had been cut from the UK version. There's one bit in the subway fight between Neo and Agent Smith which always made me laugh as a kid because there's an odd cut to Neo gawping and kind of jutting his face out - turns out it's the aftermath of a snipped headbutt!

The opposite is also true in some cases. The US version of the first Austin Powers, for instance, cuts out entire subplots and some of the best jokes in order to get a PG-13. It's significantly worse, and American friends of mine had no idea that Christian Slater was in it.

That's odd re Matrix given that it still had a 15. Headbutts tend to be cut for the lower certificates

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: bobloblaw on February 28, 2024, 09:34:24 AMThat's odd re Matrix given that it still had a 15. Headbutts tend to be cut for the lower certificates

I think the BBFC has a problem with "imitable behaviour" regardless of certificate. So aside from headbutts, ear claps and butterfly knives, they also tend to make cuts to suicide or drug taking scenes that are too potentially "instructional". Off the top of my head, both Pulp Fiction and The Rules of Attraction (both 18) were cut for this reason.

It's apparently the reason some UK home video releases don't include director's commentaries, as the cuts would put them out of sync.

I don't know how it works with streaming, though. I might do a bit of learning.

studpuppet

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 26, 2024, 09:33:24 PMI don't see why they don't just merge the U and PG ratings together, there's no practical difference between the two.

It's because PG is short for Political correctness Gone mad.

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 27, 2024, 02:24:22 PMChim-chiminey chim-chiminey chim-chim-chereckyourself

Testicular cancer charity considers campaign rewrite.

Glebe

Hottentot?!

Quote from: bobloblaw on February 28, 2024, 09:33:41 AMFight Club's a 15 now, which makes me feel very old. All manner of fuss when that came out

What?! I remember being excited when they released the uncut version - four extra seconds!

bobloblaw

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 28, 2024, 10:16:21 AMI think the BBFC has a problem with "imitable behaviour" regardless of certificate. So aside from headbutts, ear claps and butterfly knives, they also tend to make cuts to suicide or drug taking scenes that are too potentially "instructional". Off the top of my head, both Pulp Fiction and The Rules of Attraction (both 18) were cut for this reason.

It's apparently the reason some UK home video releases don't include director's commentaries, as the cuts would put them out of sync.

I don't know how it works with streaming, though. I might do a bit of learning.

similarly, the House boxset got an 18 - higher than some series of Sopranos and Game of Thrones - due to a wrist-cutting storyline

idunnosomename

Wait till you see the cut of Mary Poppins with all the nunchaku scenes restored

Bad Ambassador

Mr Banks tooling up before going into his meeting.

"Mr Dawes Sr gonna get fcuked up"

Glebe

Lost scenes of tawdry behaviour have now been reinstated via animation à la them Doctor Who DVDs:

El Unicornio, mang

Star Wars still being a U seems odd considering it has this scene

Spoiler alert
[close]

Even though they upped Empire and Return to PG's for less grisly stuff.