Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:43:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Trying to get a fucking rental in fucking Cambridge

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, March 13, 2024, 06:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

It's decided, I will live with madhair on a boat

jobotic

In Wisbech?

How about Eye?

Live with Madhair in Eye.

Haven't read the thread and won't read it but just wanted to say I am being low level amused by seeing it come up as "trying to get a fuck" on the main page whenever someone replies to it.

shiftwork2

I will teach you to drive.  I am extremely patient and this will no doubt prove to be essential.

shoulders

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on March 14, 2024, 06:57:00 PMIt's decided, I will live with madhair on a boat

Are you aware that he can't do any of the boat?

flotemysost

I know this comes up in every "looking for a place to rent" thread, but as I remember from the fleeting golden era when I was in a position to rent on my own in London, the most maddening thing about searching for one-bed/studio flats on RightMove/Zoopla and the like was the number of results that were actually houseshares after all. Say what you like about the "please gas this house of cunts" place; at least they were upfront about the setup.

If you do go down the houseshare route then I'd 100% advise using SpareRoom (or similar, but that's the one that's served me best, personally) if possible, so you can actually message the other housemate(s), get an idea of what they're like, and arrange a viewing directly with them - rather than relying on some cunt lettings agent's flimsy copy-and-pasted description to decide who you might end up sharing a roof with.

"The other housemates are all professionals in their 30s", yeah so was Ted Bundy mate, not taking my chances.

I've lucked out massively in my current sitch - nice flat, good location, and my flatmates are two of the most sound, easygoing people I could have chanced upon (as in, there are two of them; it's not like there's two nice ones and then one shit one) but I'm very conscious it could all go tits up at any minute.

Anyway obviously I'm really hoping the madhair boat scenario all works out, and the next meet will be ***CaB BOAT PARTY***

imitationleather

I've just moved in to a new place TODAY and the rent is so cheap (for this area of London), the rooms are so spacious and the view from the balcony is so amazing that there must be a catch somewhere.

Maybe it was the location of a horrible murder or something? I hope so, because I absolutely love that sort of stuff.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: imitationleather on March 16, 2024, 05:11:19 PMI've just moved in to a new place TODAY and the rent is so cheap (for this area of London), the rooms are so spacious and the view from the balcony is so amazing that there must be a catch somewhere.

Maybe it was the location of a horrible murder or something? I hope so, because I absolutely love that sort of stuff.

If weird stuff starts happening, make an audio diary and you might get a podcast out of it.

madhair60

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on March 13, 2024, 06:49:39 PMOooh mr snowflake millennial thinks he's too good to live somewhere where he can't have a freezer or tumble drier or a bed that's longer than him? What else does he want, a cunting infinity pool? Live in your flaky box next to the communal concrete square and fuck the fuck off.
Wait though, does that mean everywhere you've lived so far came with a drier and a freezer?

I'm not sure I've ever rented anywhere that had both, and I've rented places with gardens and living rooms.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on March 16, 2024, 06:21:41 PMWait though, does that mean everywhere you've lived so far came with a drier and a freezer?

I'm not sure I've ever rented anywhere that had both, and I've rented places with gardens and living rooms.

So it is true then, I actually am Mr Snowflake Millennial

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: flotemysost on March 16, 2024, 04:03:00 PMI know this comes up in every "looking for a place to rent" thread, but as I remember from the fleeting golden era when I was in a position to rent on my own in London, the most maddening thing about searching for one-bed/studio flats on RightMove/Zoopla and the like was the number of results that were actually houseshares after all. Say what you like about the "please gas this house of cunts" place; at least they were upfront about the setup.

If you do go down the houseshare route then I'd 100% advise using SpareRoom (or similar, but that's the one that's served me best, personally) if possible, so you can actually message the other housemate(s), get an idea of what they're like, and arrange a viewing directly with them - rather than relying on some cunt lettings agent's flimsy copy-and-pasted description to decide who you might end up sharing a roof with.

"The other housemates are all professionals in their 30s", yeah so was Ted Bundy mate, not taking my chances.

I've lucked out massively in my current sitch - nice flat, good location, and my flatmates are two of the most sound, easygoing people I could have chanced upon (as in, there are two of them; it's not like there's two nice ones and then one shit one) but I'm very conscious it could all go tits up at any minute.

Anyway obviously I'm really hoping the madhair boat scenario all works out, and the next meet will be ***CaB BOAT PARTY***

Thanks flotes that's useful to know. Do you know if you usually have the same kind of protections re: contract, tenancy length, deposits and all that if you join a house share via that route rather than doing through a lettings agent? Or is it just glomming onto some other people's tenancy agreement as a bit more of an informal thing?

madhair60

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on March 14, 2024, 06:48:51 PMI can't really say without essentially revealing to the internet where I work, as it's very small and there's fuck all else there.

Porton Down? Jodrell Bank? Sellafield?

Zero Gravitas

flotemysost

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on March 16, 2024, 11:51:20 PMThanks flotes that's useful to know. Do you know if you usually have the same kind of protections re: contract, tenancy length, deposits and all that if you join a house share via that route rather than doing through a lettings agent? Or is it just glomming onto some other people's tenancy agreement as a bit more of an informal thing?

Yeah, assuming the tenancy's managed via an agency then you'd still have to sign a contract, have them put your deposit in a protection scheme (this is a must btw!) and go through all the forms and referencing and all that - it's just that the viewing/selection bit would be done by the people you'd actually be living with, rather than some bozo in a tie who only cares about their next commission.

I think in most cases agencies/landlords are more than happy for the remaining tenants to do the work of finding a new person for them; as long as the new person passes refencing and credit checks and the rent's getting paid on time by *someone* it doesn't make all that much difference to them, I guess.

imitationleather

This new place I've just moved into... They didn't even make me do a credit check! I was dreading that because my score is not good, to put it mildly. The woman was just like, "Well, you wouldn't be looking at the flat if you couldn't afford it. It's fine."

Yes, something absolutely horrific has definitely happened here at some point.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: imitationleather on March 17, 2024, 12:36:34 PMThis new place I've just moved into... They didn't even make me do a credit check! I was dreading that because my score is not good, to put it mildly. The woman was just like, "Well, you wouldn't be looking at the flat if you couldn't afford it. It's fine."

If a toy rolls out of a cupboard at the dead of night, don't worry about it. These portals to hell are a law unto themselves.

flotemysost

Yeah, in my brief tenure of doing the contracts for a lettings chain they seemed less bothered by the details of it and more about rattling through as many as possible in a day.

Did once get a reference via voicemail from someone's previous landlord claiming they'd left excrement in the sink, but hopefully as long as that's not in your oeuvre then you're all good.

non capisco

Quote from: imitationleather on March 17, 2024, 12:36:34 PMThis new place I've just moved into... They didn't even make me do a credit check! I was dreading that because my score is not good, to put it mildly. The woman was just like, "Well, you wouldn't be looking at the flat if you couldn't afford it. It's fine."

WITCH IN ATTIC.

Jim_MacLaine

Ahh, good old Cranley Gardens.