Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:34:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A Boxful of Rock Sound CDs (Revisiting 2000)

Started by Cleveland Steamer, March 18, 2024, 11:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ L

Quote from: Cleveland Steamer on March 18, 2024, 11:08:17 AMabsolutely hilarious frontman who in this song keeps doing a kind of quack at the end of each of his bad rap bars.

Olarrio

Quote from: Cleveland Steamer on March 21, 2024, 12:04:51 AMOne Minute Silence - If I Can Change. I saw One Minute Silence live, I'm sure I did. Just don't ask me where, why, how or when. A fella's arm come out of his socket in the pit. Gnarly.

They aren't punk though. Which I was thinking. Punk? The turntable scratches are implied, but they are there in the mind of the borgeious listener. Nu Metal thru und thru. Chugging chorus, tuff guy vocals. I wouldn't want my arm coming off while this was going on. Someone been listening to too much Rage Against the Machine, except without the Michael Winslow wheep wheep guitar sounds. It's far too much in the testosterone zone for me.

I bet when the man was singing this, right, bet he was doing that thing where he whips his head away to the side after each line, then shakes his head, then he jumps up, like really high as he can in his kicks (careful don't snag your wallet chain on the lights you might rip your jorts), does a shuffling hand jive, maybe duck walks around the stage, a lovely boy, his arse is hanging out

Pretty sure I bought their album off the strength of this and one song from their debut that went

"It's a long way to Tipperary,
*gang vocals* SOUTH CENTRAL
Tipperaaarry"

They definitely got a big push by Kerrang but "Yap" and co didn't reach the next step.

Also, never got Pitchshifter either.

dontpaintyourteeth

Shaxberd

I'm loving these posts and the reflections on forgotten bands of the past.

Super$hit 666 and Group Dogdrill, for fuck's sake. Like something from a sitcom parody of the numetal era. I came up with better band names than that when I was 11 and amused myself drawing line-up posters for imaginary rock festivals, and one of my fictional artists was a rapping pig called Hip Hog.

ProvanFan

I bought a Rock Sound at an airport in the summer of 2000, before a flight to Rhodes. The cover CD opened with Street Carp by Deftones. I don't remember any other tracks or any of the magazine content, and I never bought another issue, but I thank you for Street Carp, Rock Sound.

ProvanFan

Thanks as well to Deftones, and the person at the till.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: ProvanFan on March 21, 2024, 11:47:32 PMI bought a Rock Sound at an airport in the summer of 2000, before a flight to Rhodes. The cover CD opened with Street Carp by Deftones. I don't remember any other tracks or any of the magazine content, and I never bought another issue, but I thank you for Street Carp, Rock Sound.

https://www.discogs.com/release/1455727-Various-Rock-Sound-Volume-44

Deftones were massively out of place on that mostly pop-punky cd

ProvanFan

I can definitely picture that on top of an Alba speaker, half-covered by my one Melody Maker CD

Quote from: Shaxberd on March 21, 2024, 11:03:23 PMI'm loving these posts and the reflections on forgotten bands of the past.

Super$hit 666 and Group Dogdrill, for fuck's sake. Like something from a sitcom parody of the numetal era. I came up with better band names than that when I was 11 and amused myself drawing line-up posters for imaginary rock festivals, and one of my fictional artists was a rapping pig called Hip Hog.

Thanks, pal! Yeah I laughed out loud at those names too. Really does seem like something you'd think was awesome when you were a teenage homework-refusing dad-disobeying tearaway REBEL.

"Rodney's up in his room listening to SUPERSHIT 666, Granddad"

boki

I really liked that Super$hit666 mini album, but it was always likely to be less than the sum of its parts considering the people involved.  Might have to give it another listen in a bit.

boki

Quote from: boki on March 22, 2024, 02:21:47 PMMight have to give it another listen in a bit.

Ha! Of course it's not on the streaming services.  Probably YouTube it later if I remember and can be arsed.

dontpaintyourteeth

Oh it's a Ginger Wildheart thing. I just assumed it would be some rap-rock band or something

Quote from: boki on March 22, 2024, 02:21:47 PMI really liked that Super$hit666 mini album, but it was always likely to be less than the sum of its parts considering the people involved.  Might have to give it another listen in a bit.

Oh! I looked it up and its Ginger from the Wildhearts and a bloke from the Hellacopters which explains why I thought it was so bad. I didn't like either of those bands.

boki

Quote from: Cleveland Steamer on March 22, 2024, 02:29:18 PMOh! I looked it up and its Ginger from the Wildhearts and a bloke from the Hellacopters which explains why I thought it was so bad. I didn't like either of those bands.
Fair.  They also had a bloke from Backyard Babies, who I mention because I was pretty into them at the time and also because it is a silly name.

Oh, and S$666 get bonus points for having a song called You Smell Canadian

Dirty Boy

I had loads of these, mostly from Metal Hammer. I think i bought Rock Sound for a few months when i was desperate for something to read.

Quote from: boki on March 22, 2024, 03:02:34 PMFair.  They also had a bloke from Backyard Babies, who I mention because I was pretty into them at the time and also because it is a silly name.

Was his name Dragen? Bloody hell i've just remembered Clam Abuse, that was a waste of a tenner. Was this when Ginger was in his heroin phase? After Endless Nameless he seemed to be in Kerrang getting in scrapes (overdosing, going to prison) every week.

Groop Dogdrill weren't terrible either and certainly not Nu-metal. I think their second album was meant to break them the same way On The Turn was supposed to for Kerbdog (neither did).

MUCUS WITH ALTITUDE VOL 15 - July 2000

I don't remember what I was doing in July 2000. I have an eiderdown memory. I can recall fluff and dust motes in perfect detail, but nothing else. Walter Matthau died, the mortuary ticker-feed tells me. And there was a solar eclipse. Events possible related.

cheat codes:

Machine Head - From This Day (live)
Graham Coxon - Fags and Failure
Rico - Burst
Earthtone 9 - Tat Twam Asi
Boiler Room - Patience
Hundred Reasons - Different
Derrero - Floaters
Mo*Ho*Bish*O*Pi - Hear The Air
Raging Speedhorn - Redweed
C-Tec - Stormtrigger
Less Than Jake - Danny says
Medulla Nocte - The Nervous Reaction

Ah, vodka and coke. The taste sensation. The spirit enhancer. Bathe in that beautiful pool.

Machine Head - From This Day (live). About 30 seconds ago I would have bet David Mamet's entire Star Wars figure collection that I had never heard anything by Machine Head, despite them being one of the big gangs, but as soon as this got going I thought, I knows this, I knows it. I probably dropped pints and fell down stairs to this in Sugarcubes (Lincoln's premier blacked-out semi-condemned "rock" club). The pinwheel souled children of the millennium slammed to this.

This was Machine Head's big hit you see, although this is a ropey shitey live version. Slip off to YouthTube if you care enough to see the video. It's extremely "2000". They look like a Cenobite boy band.

Sugarcubes. If you grew large in a provincial shit hole town you probably had a Sugarcubes. A place where punk metal and other kids could go where they wouldn't get punched in the heart for having pink hair. It only served two drinks: vodka and coke, and vodka and red bull. Served in plastic cups. Cigarette machine hanging off the wall. Toilets awash with tods and poppers. Townies were scared of it, said you could see people shooting smack in the middle of the dance floor. Weekly stabbings. All bullshit. The only time I ever got threatened with physical violence was when I told some guy Coal Chamber were shit. Well, some guy, with the wild eyes and the untamed beard and the Coal Chamber t-shirt, I stood by those words then, and I stand by them now. If you still want to FIGHT I will meet you in the car park of the B&Q which closed in 2010. If we have to resurrect the whole store, so be it. I will lay the foundations, I will pour the cement, I will fortify the walls, I will paint the lines for the parking bays, I will begin hiring staff and I will notify the council. Whatever it takes, just so we can have a venue for me to double down on this cold old hard fact: Coal Chamber were SHIT.

Graham Coxon - Fags And Failure. I'm an apostatic Blur fan and I am wholly unfamiliar with Graham's solo work, so I can't say if this is typical of what he does or did. This is the sound of a man trying to scrub out his shameful britpop past by blasting out some throwaway pretty basic distorted punk rock. Like he's having a mid-parklife crisis and wants everyone to know how real he is. Maybe that's unfair. I've had a drink.

-

Rico - Burst. Man the first 10 seconds of this are great. Disorientating guitar squiggles trying to get up in time with a metronome of smokers coughs. I'd loop it for an hour if I thought it would solve the cost of living crisis. Sadly, at the eleventh second, some very shit "chilled" "US" beats and white boy half-rapping takes over for the rest of the song. Such a promising first ten seconds though. Snatched away from me in a screamadelica smear of clownpaint and peglegs.

Edit: just found out the guy behind this died a couple of years ago. Requiescat in pace, for those ten seconds I appreciated. I was only messing.

-

Earthtone 9 - Tat Twan Asi. It's nice they named themselves after a Revlon lipstick shade, but this sodden lump of unglazed ore went past me like a bin lorry in the rain. I don't mind a bit of ugliness in music, but I actually felt like I was trying to digest this song.

Boiler Room - Patience. Sounds like Phil Collins shouting at his dogs.

-

Hundred Reasons - Different. I'm really sorry about this. I don't know why I'm doing it. This was a really weird time of my life because I was sort of dropping out of university and on my way to having an alcohol induced break down. I kept buying these magazines (or sometimes - hello, police reading this - sometimes stealing them, it was quite easy to go into a quiet corner of WH Smiths and rip the plastic bag open and slip the CD up my sleeve), listening to this stuff in my room I couldn't afford, falling into this place as being "weird bloke in house who listens to nu metal", but I was never that person! I am not this! I am not this body! I wanted to be complex and unknown. I didn't want the Rock Sound Free CD life. I never wanted to be anyone's caulked and constipated shop window dummy. I AM ME. I AM HERE.

-

Derrero - Floaters. I bought Derrero's album. They were a band from Wales. Their big moment was the song 'Rader Intruder' which made John Peel's festive fifty. This is a nice enough song, I like its oddness here. I like its weird switch between screaming guitars and barrel organ.

Mo*Ho*Bish*O*Pi - Hear The Air. This is fun! Sounds like the Delgados when they were a scrappy garage band before they got a string section and went serious. I liked this a lot. FUN. What's up with that fuckin band name tho

link

-

Raging Speedhorn - Redweed. This however is not fun. It's ugly, bloody, noisy. Bang head, break down, say fuck. I hugely enjoyed the "LUCIFER" growls that came in during the "slam your head now" towards the end. I think this band came from PORTSMOUTH.
-

C-Tec - Strombringer. Hey it's our old friend, "out of place industrial club techno track" who always makes an appearance at the Rock Sound party! Get sexy sweaty to this on the tiles at the after show spit brawl. I actually think this would bnag pretty hard in a club.

Less Than Jake - Danny Says.

I

HATE

SKA PUNK

I don't mind original two tone, I don't mind pop punk, I love a brass section (Rocket From The Crypt show the perfect way to meld the two together) but mush it all together and you get a soup of WORST SHIT EVER.

this is John Candy playing his mitts like a saxophone in a knackered rental car. This is bald children in dungarees doing the Lambeth shiv at a Reel Big Fish rally. This is the theme from Desmonds in HELL. Imagine everywhere you go there is an oompah band playing behind you and you keep slipping on banana skins. That is this song! Benny Hill is your real big dad and you are always dressed in tartan shorts.

I bigly hate ska punk

-

Medulla Nocte - The Nervous Reaction. After the vile airborne wasting disease of that Less Than Jake song this sounds like sweet honeyed manna squeezed from the hem of God's bath robe. Really though its fast fast screamy screamy busy busy technical metal that sounds like it's in a hurry to end this CD. Too long though. Music like this shouldn't be more than about 50 seconds long.

I'm tired and grumpy.

Well hi, how have you been? Me, I've been fine. Oh, nothing special... I'm still here.

It's just, I don't want this thread to just be me hanging out alone and half-drunk on a week night grumbling despondently into a shoebox full of cds, so in an effort to encourage participation I will include links to the tracks (where I can) so you can jump in here with me.

I have also hand-picked a Rock Sound CD that I remember as being a particular favourite of mine two decades plus rewound. Hopefully it holds up and gets me all maudlin and introspective and buffs this stroppy surly cynical edge of me to a reflective polished surface. Otherwise I'm just taking the piss out of things I used to like.

Tonight, Music With Attitude Vol 33 - January 2002

Skipping a few years ahead now, we find ourselves in the incredible idyllic era of being, the year 2002. A pallindrome and a weird time of war. Some happenings mark off this time of living in a history: a bereavement-powered theme park is trialled in Kent. Inverness declares soft war on Budapest. Tony Blair sends his shimmering regards from Afghanistan. And we huddle around tin cups full of coffee and brandy and find solace in magazines with free CDs on the cover.

Tonight's programme:

The Distillers - Sing Sing Death House
Bad Religion - Sorrow
Division Of Laura Lee - Need To Get Some
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Rifles
Haven - Let It Live
Aereogramme - Zionist Timing
5ive - Nitinol
Quitter - Black Box
Knut - Bite The Bullet
The Last Drop - The Talons Of Wong Chi Eng
Tree - Cold And Alone
The Kennedy Soundtrack - Dark Days
Mad Capsule Markets - Midi Surf
Old Man Gloom - Branch Breaker Radio Crackles Spill Down My Face
Isis - Celestial (The Tower)

I confidently predict that these will all bang and I will have no regrets about starting this thread.

The Distillers - Sing Sing Death House. Hey it's Morgana Robinson's half-sister's LA friendship bracelet punk band. Makes me think of playing Tony Hawk pro-skater in my pants and wishing I had a terminal illness. Or that time I watched Jackass then went and tried to jump over a supermarket trolley in a Morrissons car park and fractured my wrist. That kind of punk. I'd rather be listening to the Muffs or the Gits any day but this isn't too bad a start to the night. Probably the only time I would ever listen to something that is connected in any way to those turgid 'tuff guy' bellends Rancid.

Bad Religion - Sorrow. Garlic religion? More bother for me nan. Even was I was a little proper punk kid I never liked Bad Religion. First, it's a laughably on-the-nose name for a punk band, like calling yourself Shit School or Horrible War. Second, they always seemed so gruff and serious. I liked my punk with its trousers falling down, badly rehearsed, someone getting hit in the face with a crash cymbal.

Christ, it sounds like The Police. Oh OK, yeah now it's gone bar-room boot-stamp sing-along and probably these guys have good intentions but when I hear a rowdy punk song that has the word "pride" in it, I just skeeve on impulse. Yikes. And boring anyway. Don't listen to this one.

-

Division Of Laura Lee - Need To Get Some. Oh no am I going to just bin this whole thread. We're only on the third track and I'm miserable. This band, I feel they were somewhat in the shadow of bands like The Hives. It's rock and roll but with all the colours drained out of it. I liked it once but now it skims off me like a polished sigh. I want to listen to the Hunches or the Gories, raw shit. It's dragging its heels. Come on, I know there's gold in these digital clippings.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Rifles. HEY REMEMBER THE BLACK REBEL MOTORCYCLE CLUB. I swear they had like two songs on rotation in indie discos but I can't remember them. They were the second coming of the Jesus and Mary Chain or something. However, I like this. It's almost shoegazey in its slow syrupy loll. It's almost fuckin BAGGY, like a long lost 90s indie band. Not how I remember this band being. Maybe all their other songs are nasty hot leathery chode anthems. I told you this would BANG and you would love me.

-

Haven - Let It Live. Swirly mid-paced semi-precious rock, wah-wah pedallica, a crooner shooting for that Yorke/Bellamy foetid cheese moon. Not my thing, too many veins throbbing in the temple. It feels bad to shit too hard on something inoffensive and long gone. Don't mind me, I'm riddled with impulsive self-loathing.

-

Aereogramme - Zionist Timing. I had this album! This band. I think they were from somewhere. I won't check. Slightly weedy vocals over a heavy rock bed. Reminds me of Part Chimp if they wore cardigans. I like this, and I liked them. This song has a really nice coda. I recommend this record.

I used to work in a perfume factory and sometimes music was all that stopped me throwing myself into a vat of Emirati aftershave.

5ive - Nitinol. After the poor performance of their third album Kingsize (RCA, 2001), pop heartthrobs Sean, Jason, Scott, Ritche and Abz decided to take a swift left turn into the realm of bludgeoning down-tuned noise rock. Only kidding, of course they fucking didn't. This 5ive was an experimental cacophonous rock band from Massachussettss.

This song absolutely rules and I'm going to do it big. It's so good. If you click on one link clikc this. And Mad Capsule Markets. But click this. It blunders around like a wildebeest on fire bellowing and smearing shit and ashes everywhere. For fans of noises.

Fuck it i'm going to bed. If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve a liver transplant.

jobotic

Despite loathing nearly all of this type of music, both now and back then, I'm enjoying this thread very much.

dbs

I was also introduced to 5ive (not that one) through a Rock Sound CD, although it was a remix of one of their tracks - https://www.discogs.com/release/2046770-Various-Music-With-Attitude-Volume-43