Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:33:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obama, and his presidency.

Started by ThickAndCreamy, January 18, 2009, 04:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThickAndCreamy

What's everyone expecting of Obama during the time he is president?

I have very little idea of how he will be and what end of the political spectrum he will actually be on. He could become a third way following cunt, although in the current financial climate this seems implausible as it has clearly failed as it's ideas stem too heavily from Reagonomics. It may of taken a good 20 years to show just how completely idiotic such conservatism on the economy can become but hopefully the tide may change soon enough. Support is obviously growing for higher regulation and more left wing ideas on the economy yet it could be all talk and no action. I fear for a repeat of Labour in 1997, like I'm sure so many do, of so many promises yet so little changing or actually being delivered.

With climate change, I doubt he will do much being realistic here. The US economy is run by oil and resources all of which can be used to exploit so many and to make so much money. The US couldn't give a shit about climate change and won't care about oil too much until their supplies completely run out, which won't be for a long time if they continue to exploit and damage so many environments to receive it. They are giving $15 billion a year towards more "green" energy from his policies during the elections (policies which were scarce, ambivalent and unfocused for the most part). Green energy however can consist of "clean coal", improving oil refinery techniques and many other ways of developing non renewable sources into slightly cleaner versions. Hypocritically pretending it doesn't damage the environment as much yet over time drilling in more and more ecologically important environments. He could use most of the money to create renewable energy projects on a mass scale or technology for it to be developed and improved, but I somehow doubt he will and just simply use the economic crisis at the moment to deem it economically unjustifiable.

For foreign policy, I really think he will partially succeed, in comparison to the past. There's no doubt he will be better than Bush at this however, will probably continue to give the same shtick about winning the war on terror, then proceed to give them more justification for their hatred of the US (Gaza, anyone?). I doubt he will be as imperialistic and stupid as Bush and his dreadful cabinet of far right fools but he has mentioned he wants to support the war in Afghanistan more which in itself is a pretty idiotic idea as it's a war they cannot win and will simply gain more enemies than when they started. Also fighting a war against a government that you helped develop in the 90's doesn't really help the US's image. Actually, Obama is going to probably be shit at Foreign Policy as the US always is, he may actually attempt to use diplomatic means to solve conflicts and won't be anywhere near as insane as Reagan or Bush but he'll still be an American. Spreading democracy through force leading to dictatorships, supporting Israel even if they forced every Palestine to legally become sex slaves and to have sex with the Israeli government upon request etc. etc.

As for my cynicism, I want to be pessimistic as during the campaign I became almost overwhelmed by the idea of a Democrat finally becoming president again, removing logical thoughts from my brain and ignoring what he can realistically achieve. If he actually succeeds and completely changes the US I will be ecstatic, but as time goes on the more negative my thoughts become towards him. Centrism also has a factor in this, if he's as partisan as he makes himself out to be he will simply achieve so little change as if he suits his ideas to fit those of the republican party nothing major will ever occur and he'll become the US version of Tony Blair. He could also become the next Jimmy Carter, with a poorly executed 4 year president leaving the republicans to dominate once more.

TL:DR? Good, I want to see some huge posts here, preferably from someone who is from the US, can see into the future and is biggytitbo.

Emma Raducanu

Politicians should try doing something nice for people. They should be generous with their time, money and resources. They should develop deprived areas, shelter the homeless, look after old people, drop flowers on Iraq, lower legal working hours and build theme parks. I think Obama is as likely as anyone to understand the value of doing good things for people instead of pillaging foreign countries. Unfortunately, I think he'll be surrounded by self-interested pricks whereby a filtration system contiunes to benefit the Man and the scraps are passed on to the people.

I hope he gets kidnaped by a van full of hippies.

Danger Man

I still think he will be another Carter though he seems to think, judging by recent events, that he's going to be Lincoln.

Let's go to Washington on a slow, rickety old train. The Secret Service bodyguards must have aged ten years already. 

copylight

He will be either obama'd or embalmed this year according to the top bookies.

I am working on the t shirts now.

wherearethespoons

He'll get shot.  Or killed in some other way.

Emma Raducanu

I predict that one day he will die.

Sorry TaC, not pushing forward with much political insight here.

biggytitbo

When people realise that hes just the same as all the others but black I predict they might be a bit disappointed.

He won't be killed - he's too much of an icon for the powers-that-be to get rid of. He's a friendly face for business-as-usual in the US. I find his election to be good news because he, after all, IS half-black, and the fact that he's been able to get to the position he's at now considering where civil rights were 100 years ago is very good news, but he's not going to do anything different, he's not "one of us" as people seem to think, he's a member of the political elite. Normal people can't be President, or Prime Minister or whatever.

His stance on Israel will be the same as Bush, which makes the recent slaughtering in Gaza that much more depressing (since it was so clearly timed to coincide with Bush's departure, doing what they always wanted but are scared they won't get away with anymore - they shouldn't worry, the option will always be there). He'll make some token gestures of foreign policy awareness that will satisfy those with a mind (ie. don't expect another completely unnecessary war for at least 4 years). If there's another 9/11 style attack during his term, which most people are predicting to happen before July this year, I don't think we'll have the same ridiculous over-reaction we had then, which will cement him in people's minds as a more responsible president. But I do think something's going to happen between now and 2012 which will lose him the election next time round.

Still though - President Barack Obama. If I could salute him, I would, and I've never said that about any leader anywhere in the world in my entire life. But that's what he's there for, after all.

Artemis

It will, I concede, be interesting to see when the honeymoon ends, and how it happens. Obama's promising too much to deliver, but people having hope in a leader is hardly a bad thing, is it. And those already criticising him for "continuing to support Israel" and so on seem to me to demonstrate an almost stunning lack of perspective - does anybody really think it's plausible that he turn around and withdraw all support, effectively doing an about-face? The complexity of global politics, most of which I suspect we never really know about, makes such a scenario ridiculously implausible, and boils the arguments against him down to "Look - he's not doing something he can't realistically do!" which is a bit silly, to say the least.

We'll see how Obama fares in a year or two's time, and for the really substantive stuff, longer than that. For now, though...

Quote from: The Region Legion on January 18, 2009, 06:51:34 PMStill though - President Barack Obama.

... is where my thoughts are at. Just to know that the most powerful world leader is somebody with a modicum of intelligence, with his values in the right places and going in the right direction, however slowly, is enough for me. President Barack Obama - fucking brilliant.

Saucer51

The interminable election campaign peed me off, not least because it seemed more about colour and gender than policy. The general reason for his election will never be clear but all the harping on about his race seemed so irrelevant and at times patronising and racist (from all races).

Then on the day he won, there was a timeline of African-American history in the Daily Mirror. I have to admit, reading the milestones of slavery and oppression then the final entry 2008: Barack Obama Becomes President-Elect of the USA gave me real goosebumps.

I'm convinced he will be assassinated. Why am I so convinced? Because I don't want him to be killed but I fear it's going to happen.

I feel as optimistic about Obama's tenure as I was about Blair's in May 97. Blair naturally turned out to be a crock of shit. Obama may in the end be all gloss and no substance too. But he would have to be on a par with Hitler or Stalin to be more unpopular than Bush. And the joy of having a Superpower leader with an IQ above 70 is a long-forgotten treat.

biggytitbo

If Obama get killed I'll eat my hat. And my hat is not appetising at all.

Desi Rascal

Being born the year after martin luther king was assassinated, and having lived my formative years under the shadow of Powell's river of Blood speech i can honestly say that i would never see the day, and to hear him paraphasing the Lyrics to Sam Cookes Civil rights anthem "A change is going to come" sent goosebumps up my spine.

As to how his presidency will pan out? well the Democrats have a long history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, but for now i am going to bask in the warm happy place of renewed hope.

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/portrayal_of_obama_as_elitist

Braintree

I'm ashamed to say it has only just hit me that this is actually happening. I'm looking forward to inauguration and I strangely welled up when I read the words "Barack Obama will become the 44th President of the United States of America" just now.

I think he will have to do something spectacularly disasterous to lose standing. A Hurrican Katrina-style scenario. I'm not expecting anything outrageous but I would like to see him re-shape the medical care system and I hope if he does enter a war it will be under legitimate means.

I think the last president to come in at such a tough economic time was FDR. He has a lot to live up to. Not just because he is mixed race, not just because he came after Bush but because people NEED a great world leader right now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think he'll fall in love with his statesman role, like Blair did- IE- the ability to stand there like you're the man and spout bullshit (he's had a fair bit of practise anyway).

In terms of results, obviously he'll do better than Bush because he's entering a particularly horrible segment of history- a lot of which was Bush's making- and he has to reverse America out of there before he can even think of doing a 3 point turn and heading off somewhere else.

In terms of legacy, he is the figurehead of the greatest moment for black people in the history of civilisation. So he starts with an in-built legacy. It's clear that isn't enough for him though. I think one of his legacies might be to lay the foundations for another Democrat to do the work of (maybe Hillary will be the LBJ to Obama's JFK- minus the assassination hopefully).

There's no doubt he'll reduce debt, get more people back to work, support less scummy things than the Republicans.

Any dreams?

-A National Health Service for the US, or a fundamental expansion of the Medicare program
-A reform of the prison system to reverse the human tragedy of America's system of justice
-An equal system of extradition to the UK and Europe
-Leaving office with a stable Iraq, a democratically elected Pakistani government, a two-state solution in the Middle East and a fundamental cultural modernisation of Afghanistan.
-Social reform to improve the lives of blacks and hispanics and the white working class

I predict he'll do none of those, but like I said, he may well lay the groundwork for one or two of them to come to pass- just like his election, somethings take a generation to accept.

'The only thing we have to fear is fear itself' should be the motto of his presidency. He nicked 'Yes We Can', so he can probably pinch that too.

rudi

Quotethe greatest moment for black people in the history of civilisation

A tad western-centric, perhaps?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm open to suggestions. Just keeping that piece of hyperbole as a place-holder only.

Blumf

Need to find one that counts down the minutes.

wherearethespoons

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 18, 2009, 10:07:25 PM
If Obama get killed I'll eat my hat. And my hat is not appetising at all.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sShWty0IX8[/youtube]

boxofslice

I'm bored by him already and he's not president yet but that's obviously down to media saturation painting him as a panacea for all the world's problems. The black factor is a non issue for me, I'm more concerned with his economic, environmental and foriegn policies.

Quote from: rudi on January 19, 2009, 02:58:15 PM

A tad western-centric, perhaps?

It's not really though, is it, considering the background. I think you can legitimately say that this is the crowning achievement for those of a darker skin colour in the entire history of mankind.

Danger Man

Quote from: The Region Legion on January 19, 2009, 04:16:40 PM
I think you can legitimately say that this is the crowning achievement for those of a darker skin colour in the entire history of mankind.

What, he's a credit to his race?

He's first and foremost an American. Then he's a Harvard lawyer. Then he's a guy with a white mother and a black father.

Yes, the speed that the USA has evolved in the last 40 years is worth noting, but pigmentation isn't really something we should care about in our leaders.

hoverdonkey

just been watching him help to decorate a shelter in Washington (thanks Sky News for enabling me to literally watch paint dry) and it struck me how different he is from other politicians. For a start, he didn't just do a few strokes and then pose for the cameras, he did the whole bloody wall. It took him a good 30 minitues. He then chatted with the people in the shelter and looked so at ease in their company.

It's a somewhat superficial thing, but I think it does represent his ability to connect with people. A member of the political elite he may be, but it is so refreshing to see someone that it is possible to relate to and have confidence no only in what he is thinking, but how he communicates that, such is his excellent command of the English language.

Quote from: Danger Man on January 19, 2009, 04:34:21 PM
Yes, the speed that the USA has evolved in the last 40 years is worth noting, but pigmentation isn't really something we should care about in our leaders.

I'm not saying we should care about it as an overriding factor, but it is still an achievement when you consider that for hundreds of years, the black man was seen as literally inferior, an animalistic version of man. That's only really stopped being a day-to-day reality in the last... 60 years? If that? And now one of THEM is (superficially) The Most Powerful Man In The World™. It's not even like his name is white either, you don't get a much more black name than Barack Obama. This is an important thing. It's not got any bearing on his ability to be President though, of course.

Danger Man

Quote from: The Region Legion on January 19, 2009, 05:50:34 PM
This is an important thing.

Well, yes, in a Guiness Book of Records type of way.  Though if you read some of the crazier stuff on the internet he would appear to be America's 6th 'black' president.

(Jefferson/Jackson/Lincoln/Harding/Coolidge all having secret black ancestry, supposedly)   

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Danger Man on January 19, 2009, 06:19:18 PM
Well, yes, in a Guiness Book of Records type of way.  Though if you read some of the crazier stuff on the internet he would appear to be America's 6th 'black' president.

(Jefferson/Jackson/Lincoln/Harding/Coolidge all having secret black ancestry, supposedly)   

Beethoven? DEFINITELY a black man.

gmoney

William Wallace? DEFINITELY a bla....etc.

Jemble Fred

I was so bloody indolent over the weekend that I thought I'd have a go at my first audio cut-up in three years, and naturally wanted to have a go at Obama, just for novelty's sake. But although I did easily isolate a "cunt", I just gave up after ten minutes because his voice is so natural, unaffected and, well a bit boring, really. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about, so his phrasing is fast and relaxed, which is shit for cut-ups. Gone are the days of Blair and Bush's faltering speeches which were any audio monger's dream.

Listening to the news you would think it will be the second coming of Christ tomorrow when in fact, as someone pointed out above, it will be just the same except African American. Get over it. I feel the policies will remain the same toward Israel despite tactical misgivings during their elephant like stampede through Gaza over the last 2 weeks. The 'war on terror' will continue but with a fuzzier image. Guantanamo wont disappear into thin air. I hope I'm wrong, but theres too much hype.

George Oscar Bluth II

I'm optimistic. Obviously we're not going to see an end to the massive inequalities in America's bizarre healthcare system (it's in too many people's interests for things to stay as they are), or a dramatic change in policy towards the middle east but...things will be better than they were under Bush. Just the fact of who he is will change things I think.

Maximash