Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:26:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obama, and his presidency.

Started by ThickAndCreamy, January 18, 2009, 04:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnstyle

There was an amusing letter in Viz this month:

"Why is everyone excited about America having a black president? Zimbabwe have had one for years, and he's shit."

Most of all I'm digging the positivity, a little optimism goes a long way I think. It's nice to see people interviewed on the news proudly declaring they have travelled across the country to witness history. I quite like that, it's nice and a million miles away from the cynicism of British Politics.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

We're so close to getting rid of Bush I'm impatiently holding my arm on the desk to stop me punching the air.

It's been a while since there's been a new Prez, but was there anywhere near similar coverage for Bush's inauguration? I can't remember Clinton's as I was a bit young, but I seem to remember the general skepticism about the validity of Bush's election and the general theme of 'Oh shit, the murdering texas shithead is in' spoilt the occasion.

However this time with Obama it seems to be treated as an occasion on a similar level to man walking on the moon.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Part Chimp

Cheney will be in a wheelchair for the inauguration.

Artemis

I'm at home now with CNN on. Can't wait for the moment he's sworn in. Everything else aside, that moment will be superb.

no_offenc

I'm in work with no hope of catching the swearing in (or anything leading up to it) live.  Fucking work.  I do hope he doesn't turn out to be a tit once in office, I do.

Maximash

Caroline

Our stupid university department managed to schedule a very important meeting about the our exchange year in America (I do a degree in American Studies) for the EXACT SAME TIME as the inaugural address. What a bunch of fucking morons. I can't wait to tell my kids years from now "Where was I when Obama was sworn in? Oh, in a meeting." Stupid stupid incompetent idiots.

purlieu

So, who else has got a tape on standby for the assassination?

Still Not George

Quote from: Maximash on January 20, 2009, 03:06:25 PM
Why?
Cos seeing everyone else being happy about it will piss cynical bastards off no end.

Artemis

Quote from: Maximash on January 20, 2009, 03:06:25 PM
Why?

I'll assume you're playing devil's advocate and aren't really that stupid. It'll be superb on several levels, firstly because Bush will have officially gone, and eight years (including one illegitimate term as President) are finally over. That alone is worthy of huge celebration, given the genuinely horrific impact the Bush administration has had on the world. Then there's what Obama represents, the hope he carries, the inclusiveness that he champions, the history he makes with his ethnicity, the intelligence he brings (at least comparatively), and the spirit and zeitgeist he represents. It'll be a hugely historic moment for America, and one I dearly hope he's able to deliver on, and that those who put him there have enough perspective to allow him time to do that. Plus, like SNG says, everybody will be happy and enjoying it, which is a huge "fuck you" to cynical, pessimistic cunts who'll smugly predict it's "all going to go wrong" demonstrating only what depressing, joyless killjoys they are.

On another note... this is what happened on Fox News at the time of the last inauguration, when a correspondent bought on to join in how brilliant it was that Bush was hosting countless parties at huge cost at a time he was sending thousands of troops to die in an unnecessary and illegal war, turned 'rogue'. My bet is she wasn't invited back...

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_KZm1RxV4NM[/youtube]

Danger Man

Quote from: Still Not George on January 20, 2009, 03:12:01 PM
Cos seeing everyone else being happy about it will piss cynical bastards off no end.

No, enjoy your day.

We've got the next 4 years to hone our sneers.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: turnstyle on January 20, 2009, 10:14:07 AM
There was an amusing letter in Viz this month:

"Why is everyone excited about America having a black president? Zimbabwe have had one for years, and he's shit."

That gave me the first (and possibly) last laugh of the day. Thanks Turnstyle.

Anyway, back to history being made...

Braintree

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 20, 2009, 01:25:40 PM
We're so close to getting rid of Bush I'm impatiently holding my arm on the desk to stop me punching the air.

It's been a while since there's been a new Prez, but was there anywhere near similar coverage for Bush's inauguration? I can't remember Clinton's as I was a bit young, but I seem to remember the general skepticism about the validity of Bush's election and the general theme of 'Oh shit, the murdering texas shithead is in' spoilt the occasion.

However this time with Obama it seems to be treated as an occasion on a similar level to man walking on the moon.

Didn't Bush's inaugaration involve him in a very fast bullet proof car due to lots of very angry people thinking he cheated his way to the top? I don't actually remember BBC1 going out of their way to show it anyway.

So how will you be watching the inaugaration. I'm at home, alone eating mixed nuts and raisins and drinking fanta. I was too lazy to go and see if there were any proper celebrations happening.

Still Not George

Quote from: Danger Man on January 20, 2009, 03:17:54 PM
No, enjoy your day.

We've got the next 4 years to hone our sneers.

Something, something, Dark Side. Something, something, complete!

_Hypnotoad_

Whilst I wouldn't describe myself as cynical about Obama, I do find the way Americans seem to see their politicians as superstars akin to pop stars and movie legends a little OTT

I mean a pop concert for fucks sake?? Aren't they getting a tad over-excited by all this?

It's great news he has been elected, he is indeed intelligent and a breath of fresh air. And not a republican, obviously.

But give me dreary, cynical British politics any day of the week. If they tried that shit over here he'd be pelted with rotten eggs and told to get on with the fucking job, and rightly so.

USA! USA! USA!

Artemis

Quote from: _Hypnotoad_ on January 20, 2009, 03:27:33 PM
But give me dreary, cynical British politics any day of the week. If they tried that shit over here he'd be pelted with rotten eggs and told to get on with the fucking job, and rightly so.

Possibly, although I didn't see many eggs being thrown when Blair won in 1997 (and this is America's version of that event in many ways). Dreary, cynical politics is nothing on the excitement and passion of American politics, as far as I'm concerned, but there's certainly a place for it. It's at it's most fun when it all goes wrong, and that's a British thing I guess. Certainly I enjoyed seeing Prescott punch a voter, and Hague boasting about drinking ten pints in a baseball hat. Those raw moments are few and far between over there (and would be over here were it not for the determination of a few to infiltrate the irritating slickness of the propaganda political machines)

Blumf

Quote from: Braintree on January 20, 2009, 03:23:21 PM
So how will you be watching the inaugaration.

At home with the surround sound system on so I can pinpoint the location of the assassin's rifle easier.

Danger Man

Quote from: Still Not George on January 20, 2009, 03:23:48 PM
Something, something, Dark Side. Something, something, complete!

By George he's got it!!

I'm in a win-win situation here. If he screws up, I get to shout 'First!' but if he's half of what people hope he is then we won't be carrying our money around in wheelbarrows in a
few months time. And I'll settle for that.

After he gives his speech isn't there a poetry reading or something?  I hope they don't show it. Americans just can't do poetry.

boxofslice

I would just like to make it clear that I didn't vote for him.

_Hypnotoad_

Quote from: Artemis on January 20, 2009, 03:35:56 PM
Possibly, although I didn't see many eggs being thrown when Blair won in 1997 (and this is America's version of that event in many ways). Dreary, cynical politics is nothing on the excitement and passion of American politics, as far as I'm concerned, but there's certainly a place for it. It's at it's most fun when it all goes wrong, and that's a British thing I guess. Certainly I enjoyed seeing Prescott punch a voter, and Hague boasting about drinking ten pints in a baseball hat. Those raw moments are few and far between over there (and would be over here were it not for the determination of a few to infiltrate the irritating slickness of the propaganda political machines)

Fair point about Blair, though there have been rumours since that the Downing Street welcome was mainly Labour supporters shipped in on cue. Plus I don't think we'll see anything like that again, it seemed to usher in the era of trendy politicians and "cool Brittania", all of which eventually got the big thumbs down. All seems a bit laughable now in retrospect, I read a book recently about Albarn being put in a room with Blair and Campbell and being asked to come on board to make Blair look trendy.

Still, I do in some ways envy American politics even if it is so ridiculously OTT. It seems oddly appropriate for a country that prides itelf on its patriotism and the possibilities it offers its citizens. It's why programmes like the Daily Show would only work in America.

Artemis

Quote from: Danger Man on January 20, 2009, 03:39:34 PM
I'm in a win-win situation here.

Not really, you're in a lose-lose. You can either be all "I told you so" like a cunt, or realise that you were a bit of a cunt.

Either way there's only one outcome.

Danger Man

Quote from: Artemis on January 20, 2009, 04:04:06 PM
Either way there's only one outcome.

Well I'd sooner be a cunt than.....ummm.....A TWAT!!

But when you're crying your bitter tears of disappointment, I'll still give you a hug.

Artemis

Quote from: Danger Man on January 20, 2009, 04:11:08 PM
But when you're crying your bitter tears of disappointment, I'll still give you a hug.

And I'll still take it, you lovely man. :)

Marvin

Why is not ok to be cautious?

Quote from: Artemis on January 20, 2009, 03:35:56 PM
(and this is America's version of that event in many ways)

A lot of hype that didn't deliver? Some of us got slaughtered in the election thread for suggesting the comparison.

Artemis

Quote from: Marvin on January 20, 2009, 04:16:55 PM
Why is not ok to be cautious?

Because being cautious at the expense of appreciating the moment - just the moment - on the day, misses the magnitude of what's happening, in my opinion. Caution is probably the best policy moving on from here, but fuck - there's something very special happening today.

QuoteA lot of hype that didn't deliver? Some of us got slaughtered in the election thread for suggesting the comparison.

There's good argument about the way in which Blair did deliver, despite his catastrophic mistakes, actually. Not that I'll be drawn on that right now. The comparison I made was in relation to the hope and expectation, the good-will and support that Obama is getting, which is comparable, I think. The difference is that Blair could change the country. Obama has the potential to change much more than America.

Goldentony

Where's Chelsea Clinton? i hope she's there

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: Artemis on January 20, 2009, 04:22:25 PM
There's good argument about the way in which Blair did deliver, despite his catastrophic mistakes, actually. Not that I'll be drawn on that right now. The comparison I made was in relation to the hope and expectation, the good-will and support that Obama is getting, which is comparable, I think.
Please expand on this later then, I genuinely want to know. The main reasoning I find now that people are voting Labour is just because they hate the conservatives so much and very little to do with what they've done. Don't get me wrong compared to the Bush administration they are saints, but still there's no doubt in my mind they did not deliver.