Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,785
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:25:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Limmy on Twitter and webcam [split topic]

Started by Neil, July 30, 2011, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Dog Botherer on August 04, 2021, 08:31:38 PM
sorry forgot the link, little before the 4hr mark here

https://youtu.be/_TZYp170rNw

Which bit was the funny part? Not being sarcastic, just not sure if I missed something.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: thelittlemango on August 05, 2021, 12:28:28 AM
Which bit was the funny part? Not being sarcastic, just not sure if I missed something.

i dunno, i suppose it's just Limmy doing increasingly silly things with the corpse while the AI just refuses to deal with it.

i often have a hard time explaining why Limmy is funny to be fair.

MoreauVasz

I find that wedding footage almost unbearably sad.

Here's a bloke who has not only been on TV but produced a series of really good memorable TV shows almost single-handed and there he is... Dragging bodies around on Skyrim, putting them in silly poses. Pausing occasionally to thank someone for giving him three whole British pounds.

He must be really depressed.

bgmnts

He's getting paid for playing video games and chatting. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

I do agree that the whole culture of thanking people for the money every single time does tend to ruin the flow though.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: bgmnts on August 05, 2021, 08:45:05 AM
He's getting paid for playing video games and chatting. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

Getting paid even more to do something creative would probably be more fulfilling though. That's why I mention depression.

Neomod

Quote from: bgmnts on August 05, 2021, 08:45:05 AM

Everything gets tiresome after a while though. Especially if it's a job. Kudos (I think) to Limmy. I thought he would have got bored with it by now and sacked it off.

That's a man who seems content with his lot.

MoreauVasz

Yeah... And if gets bored with playing Skyrim, he can set up a chaturbate account.

Getting paid pennies to wank yourself off? Sounds like a winner to me!

Captain Z

You keep referring to small amounts of money, which clearly isn't the case.

Cuellar

Quote from: MoreauVasz on August 05, 2021, 08:53:11 AM
Getting paid even more to do something creative would probably be more fulfilling though. That's why I mention depression.

I don't know if you can really say what would be more fulfilling. He keeps saying he has no interest in doing any telly stuff, any writing, anything like that anymore because he can't deal with the stress.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: Cuellar on August 05, 2021, 09:40:11 AM
I don't know if you can really say what would be more fulfilling. He keeps saying he has no interest in doing any telly stuff, any writing, anything like that anymore because he can't deal with the stress.

Sounds very much like depression to me. Thankfully,  I had someone who convinced me to seek help and not thousands of parasocial enablers quite content for me to waste away in the dark.

Cuellar

Not wanting to do a stressful job is depression?

brat-sampson

Casually doing something you enjoy, entertaining people and making plenty enough to get by. What a tortured life he must lead. As opposed to the untold stresses of actually getting content written, made and broadcast by a corporation that doesn't care about you, so fans can slag it off on youtube and say your older stuff was better.

I think he'll be ok.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: Cuellar on August 05, 2021, 09:48:24 AM
Not wanting to do a stressful job is depression?

Wanting nothing more from life than to sit in the dark and play video games whilst making the lowest effort jokes imaginable certainly suggests that you might not be in the best of places psychologically.

I can understand when teenagers or people with meaningless jobs do it, I can even understand it when people who do other things also stream as a way of building their audience and making a bit of extra cash on the side but to go from single-handedly producing memorable TV programmes to 'ooh... I'll drag the bodies about a bit in Skyrim that' ll do' suggests that something might be wrong and that he might need help.

Jerzy Bondov

He's talking about this literally right now. He's happy as he is. He's also a dad and that so it's not like he's only streaming. Got a good work/life balance going on. Good for him

Cuellar

But surely it's different because he's already done all the telly stuff, all the writing etc.

It seems like he's turned to streaming BECAUSE he 'single-handedly produced memorable TV programmes', not despite it.

selectivememory

Quote from: MoreauVasz on August 05, 2021, 09:58:16 AM
Wanting nothing more from life than to sit in the dark and play video games whilst making the lowest effort jokes imaginable certainly suggests that you might not be in the best of places psychologically.

I'm sure he has more going on in his life, mate. This is just a job.

MoreauVasz

Yeah... I used to say stuff like that too. One of the things that makes mental illness hard to deal with is that it embeds itself in your personality and uses all of your faculties to keep you sick. The more intelligent and verbally dextrous you are, the more adept you become at rationalising your shit decisions.

This dynamic means that lots of people only seek help when they hit the wall. When they have lost that last job, fucked that last relationship, lost that last friend, and burned that last bridge. If you are wealthy then you can keep your head above water for longer.. You can adjust your expectations downwards and convince yourself that sitting in the dark is where you want to be.

ProvanFan

He's very well lit in the clips I've seen

Jack Shaftoe

I'm gutted that telly didn't seem to know what to do with Limmy. Having been through the process a few time of developing shows/scripts, pushing them through various hoops and seeing them wither on the vine one by one, I can attest to how dispiriting the entire process is, especially when you've been doing it long enough you're no longer the cool new face on the scene, but also not trusted enough to deliver because you don't have a string of hits behind you. If he's found something else to do, kudos to him for doing it.

He does seem restlessly creative though, so I suspect he'll end doing something just for fun that loops back into mainstream telly eventually, if that's what he fancies doing.

Two Headed Sex Beast

Quote from: MoreauVasz on August 05, 2021, 10:29:12 AM
Yeah... I used to say stuff like that too. One of the things that makes mental illness hard to deal with is that it embeds itself in your personality and uses all of your faculties to keep you sick. The more intelligent and verbally dextrous you are, the more adept you become at rationalising your shit decisions.

This dynamic means that lots of people only seek help when they hit the wall. When they have lost that last job, fucked that last relationship, lost that last friend, and burned that last bridge. If you are wealthy then you can keep your head above water for longer.. You can adjust your expectations downwards and convince yourself that sitting in the dark is where you want to be.

Limmy has famously been very open about his mental health and previous struggles with depression. He's also open about how much he enjoys what he's doing now. But you've got your own idea of what his state of health is, and it's weird that you're so adamant he's wrong and you're right.

ProvanFan

Quote from: MoreauVasz on August 05, 2021, 10:29:12 AM

You seem to be projecting a lot of stuff here. He hasn't fucked his last relationship, lost that last friend, or burned that last bridge. He hasn't lost his job, this is his job and he appears be making a decent living from it. And this sitting in the dark nonsense falls apart under scrutiny.

kevinq

I think he's almost certainly making more money off Twitch than he ever did from television, and more reliably too. About 5k monthly subs, each a minimum of $5, Twitch takes 30-50%, then donations and ad revenue on top of that.

If I'm reading the accounts right, according to Companies House, his production company cleared over £300k from March 2019 to March 2020. Hard to say how much of that would be Limmy's Homemade Show and the books/live shows though.

peanutbutter

It seems like a better fit for his talents and interest than TV to me. He's able to just be like "I wanna do a silly song" and have Ableton up with the song knocked  out within an hour and that's it done, or go through some scenario via an improv story on the spot instantly. Can imagine him finding the path from having an idea to getting it out there excruciating for him with TV stuff.

He probably could make much better stuff that holds up longer going the TV route, but if he's finding it a misery what's the point?

chveik

Quote from: MoreauVasz on August 05, 2021, 08:43:19 AM
He must be really depressed.

sounds more like you'd love him to be you weird cunt

Jerzy Bondov

He's an old man in his twilight years and you want him to spend his remaining days in meetings at the BBC. Cruel

weaseldust

it feels like this discussion happens about every three pages of this thread - 'why is limmy streaming and not doing tv stuff?' limmy has been doing livestreams for years, he enjoys it. i think it's as simple as that, i doubt he would do it otherwise

also since limmy started doing twitch full time he seems to be more popular than ever. it's going really well

Chollis

chveik

Quote from: weaseldust on August 05, 2021, 12:36:44 PM
it feels like this discussion happens about every three pages of this thread - 'why is limmy streaming and not doing tv stuff?'

yeah and it's really dull. just some funny clips

besides the homemade show wasn't that long ago.

bgmnts

I'm not that anti Twitch anymore, in regards to Limmy anyway, but I cant ever see myself watching a stream. Thank god for people on youtube like Benny Harvey and LimmyTwitchClips.