Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:43:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Beatles are fucking good.

Started by madhair60, December 16, 2012, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

Replies From View

Quote from: studpuppet on January 20, 2022, 12:32:06 AMThe Rutles even got their Anthology parodies spot on.

Their take (Neil Innes' take, really) on Free As A Bird might be my very favourite:

There's echoes of McCartney's Flaming Pie album in there too, in the 'looking back... with 20/20 hindsight' parts (the bits that would correspond to where Paul would have added lyrics/ middle eight to the original John song).  Very clever, that Innes.

"Let me be there... oh let me be there" (2:20)

Feels like it to me, anyway.

SteveDave

As much as I love I Am The EggPod these "Get Back" ones have been itching my tits. Some of the guests have been great and insightful but a few have just been inane local radio DJ levels of shit. Of course I'm listening to them all but the man and woman couple on a few days ago made me wish death upon the Western world.

Pete23

Eggpod to me is all about Chris Shaw - I could listen to just him talking about the Beatles, but I guess he needs someone else to bounce off. The Nicky Campbell one annoyed me as he seemed to get a bit miffed that Chris knew more Bealtes facts than him. Also some of the days there's not much new happening, and unless the guest has a different take it can be a bit of a retread of familiar ground.

Eggpod Bingo:
  • Aren't they all gorgeous
  • Everyone loves Ringo
  • Yoko is less annoying than I'd been led to believe
  • John is less angry than I'd been led to believe
  • That bit where Paul pulls Get Back out of thin air
  • Michael Lindsay Hogg is an idiot
  • Michael Lindsay Hogg is unjustly called an idiot
  • Isn't George Martin just like Gandalf?
  • I wish I had a Mal

SpiderChrist

Quote from: SteveDave on January 27, 2022, 09:22:51 AMAs much as I love I Am The EggPod these "Get Back" ones have been itching my tits. Some of the guests have been great and insightful but a few have just been inane local radio DJ levels of shit. Of course I'm listening to them all but the man and woman couple on a few days ago made me wish death upon the Western world.

I was just thinking the same - there was one guy who knew fuck all (didn't know who Magic Alex was, called Let It Be "the worst Beatles album") then the woman from Talking Pictures TV (?) who seemed to think that laughing at the end of a sentence made what she had just said funny (and had similar shallow levels of knowledge) and then the fucking pompous know-all that is Nicky Campbell. Fucking hell.

And why doesn't Chris Shaw ever disagree with a guest? Whatever shit they come out with, he responds with a breathy "Yes!".

I stopped listening after the Nicky Campbell one. Not going back. Something About The Beatles and Nothing Is Real are much more entertaining and informative listens I reckon.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Replies From View on January 20, 2022, 11:17:12 PMTheir take (Neil Innes' take, really) on Free As A Bird might be my very favourite:

There's echoes of McCartney's Flaming Pie album in there too, in the 'looking back... with 20/20 hindsight' parts (the bits that would correspond to where Paul would have added lyrics/ middle eight to the original John song).  Very clever, that Innes.

Clever but not very entertaining.

I always found the line 'I thought it was time to do a film called Twist and Stab' from Stella Street was funnier than the whole of The Ruttles.

And that's what I think, so there!

https://youtu.be/xnlFOLF9sDA?t=93

Replies From View

It's a beautiful and poignant song, I think.  No harm having such a thing amongst all the funny ones.

It seems I was wrong about the reference of Beautiful Day within Don't Know Why, though.  Archaeology was released in 1996, and Flaming Pie 1997.  But maybe those few notes evoke McCartney's vibe more broadly, rather than a specific song - it feels like it to me.

shagatha crustie

Quote from: SpiderChrist on January 27, 2022, 11:29:20 AMI was just thinking the same - there was one guy who knew fuck all (didn't know who Magic Alex was, called Let It Be "the worst Beatles album") then the woman from Talking Pictures TV (?) who seemed to think that laughing at the end of a sentence made what she had just said funny (and had similar shallow levels of knowledge) and then the fucking pompous know-all that is Nicky Campbell. Fucking hell.

And why doesn't Chris Shaw ever disagree with a guest? Whatever shit they come out with, he responds with a breathy "Yes!".

I stopped listening after the Nicky Campbell one. Not going back. Something About The Beatles and Nothing Is Real are much more entertaining and informative listens I reckon.

Aw, I really like Chris's positivity and openness to the guest. During the lockdowns this was what made Eggpod one of the best and such a therapeutic listen - just people really splashing around in their love for the music and history.

You're right though that the downside of that is you sometimes get people who don't know what they're on about or want to show off. I've found this Get Back analysis isn't really working for me - generally, the pod is better when somebody picks a post-Beatles album, because they're less frequently discussed, and it shows they know their stuff or have more to say about the Beatle in question (e.g. Samira Ahmed on the Harrison self-titled from '79, John Higgs on the Fireman's Rushes, Andy Miller on Tug of War, or Diana Erickson - an enormous Paul "stan" - on Walls and Bridges). I don't really need to hear anyone walking through Revolver track by track telling me why they're good songs, unless it's a particularly charismatic or idiosyncratic guest.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: shagatha crustie on January 27, 2022, 12:14:55 PMAw, I really like Chris's positivity and openness to the guest. During the lockdowns this was what made Eggpod one of the best and such a therapeutic listen - just people really splashing around in their love for the music and history.

You're right though that the downside of that is you sometimes get people who don't know what they're on about or want to show off. I've found this Get Back analysis isn't really working for me - generally, the pod is better when somebody picks a post-Beatles album, because they're less frequently discussed, and it shows they know their stuff or have more to say about the Beatle in question (e.g. Samira Ahmed on the Harrison self-titled from '79, John Higgs on the Fireman's Rushes, Andy Miller on Tug of War, or Diana Erickson - an enormous Paul "stan" - on Walls and Bridges). I don't really need to hear anyone walking through Revolver track by track telling me why they're good songs, unless it's a particularly charismatic or idiosyncratic guest.

Fair point - I actually bought a copy of Walls & Bridges after listening to the Diana Erickson episode.

SteveDave

Quote from: Replies From View on January 27, 2022, 11:58:19 AMIt's a beautiful and poignant song, I think.  No harm having such a thing amongst all the funny ones.

It seems I was wrong about the reference of Beautiful Day within Don't Know Why, though.  Archaeology was released in 1996, and Flaming Pie 1997.  But maybe those few notes evoke McCartney's vibe more broadly, rather than a specific song - it feels like it to me.

According to the internet though, "Beautiful Night" was first recorded in 1986 alongside this piece of business.

Whether a bootleg was out that Neil heard is something for the Lord to sort out.

SteveDave

Quote from: SpiderChrist on January 27, 2022, 11:29:20 AMI stopped listening after the Nicky Campbell one. Not going back. Something About The Beatles and Nothing Is Real are much more entertaining and informative listens I reckon.

Today's one is especially bad. A professional Northern man who sounds like he's 60 but looks late 30s. He was also on the podcast previously talking about "Yellow Submarine" during lockdown and was similarly annoying then.

SteveDave

Quote from: Pete23 on January 27, 2022, 11:26:06 AMEggpod Bingo:
  • Aren't they all gorgeous
  • Everyone loves Ringo
  • Yoko is less annoying than I'd been led to believe
  • John is less angry than I'd been led to believe
  • That bit where Paul pulls Get Back out of thin air
  • Michael Lindsay Hogg is an idiot
  • Michael Lindsay Hogg is unjustly called an idiot
  • Isn't George Martin just like Gandalf?
  • I wish I had a Mal

Glyn Johns clothes are different to my clothes! What's he like?!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

EDIT: Nah. Moaning about people repeating themselves on a podcast that's brought me a lot of comfort over the last couple of years is just churlish nitpicking. Some trivial thoughts are best left unbroadcast.

Btw, if Chris somehow stumbles across this thread one day, I hope he's not hurt by these comments. His contributions are always great, he's clearly a lovely man, and most of his guests are interesting and insightful.

Sorry, I felt a sudden pang of guilt there.

EDIT: I've since deleted my previous post. It was just a pointless whinge about nothing.

SteveDave

Especially after he's just tweeted about getting abusive emails. Lordy.

Quote from: SteveDave on January 27, 2022, 10:36:38 PMEspecially after he's just tweeted about getting abusive emails. Lordy.

Really? Oh Christ, that's awful.

Imagine sending abusive messages to an affable Beatles enthusiast who hosts an entertaining podcast (it's not easy if you try, unless you're a wanker).

Yes, the conversation on this page has included some mild criticism of the recent episodes, but I just don't understand the mentality of someone who is so displeased with what they're hearing, they'd actually get in touch with the host to slag off his efforts. I despair.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: SteveDave on January 27, 2022, 10:36:38 PMEspecially after he's just tweeted about getting abusive emails. Lordy.

Ah no. I feel shitty now.

Edited to add: because I moaned here, not because I sent Chris Shaw a cunty email.

Oh god now it looks like I'm trying to cover my tracks.

Anyway. Back to bed I think.

SteveDave

The Rooftop set is now (I think I don't have streaming capabilities) available to listen to. After Martin Jr told us that it wasn't interesting enough to appear on the "Let It Be" boxset. That's what must've been on that "EP" disc? There's no need for a CD with 20 minutes of music to be a thing in this day and age.

Replies From View

38 minutes, but I agree they've double-dipped here.

Das Reboot

While I've not listened to the eggpod for *checks* fuck me, eight months, there have been some wonderful episodes - Laura Grimshaw on Neil Innes was genuinely touching, Beardyman on McCartney II and Iain Lee Lee on Give My Regards to Broad Street were very amusing. However, like with so many other podcasts that use this format, it can hinge on the quality of the guest.

If Chris is reading this, please get Taylor Parks on to talk about whatever he wants. As someone more eloquently said in one of the Chart Music threads, he has a genuine love for the band while acutely identifying each individual's strengths and weaknesses.

Agree one of my favourite ever podcasts and has introduced me to so much solo stuff I now love. David Quantick episodes are great fun, listened to the white album one a few times and even picked up his book on it as a result.

SteveDave

There should be a moratorium on people doing the voices on Beatle podcasts. 

the science eel

I'm obsessed with bad Beatles impersonations. This one could be the worst well-known example

SteveDave

My friend is currently listening to the Beatles in real time 60 years removed. So for him, the only Beatles songs he can listen to are "My Bonnie" and "When The Saints Go Marching In". In October he gets "Love Me Do" and "PS I Love You".

He's not coming to see the rooftop show at the IMAX next week because of this.

Retinend

now I feel guilty about being a cunt
Quote from: the science eel on February 01, 2022, 09:10:27 AMI'm obsessed with bad Beatles impersonations. This one could be the worst well-known example

"piss poor" would be an insult to piss

gilbertharding

Quote from: SteveDave on February 01, 2022, 11:34:39 AMMy friend is currently listening to the Beatles in real time 60 years removed. So for him, the only Beatles songs he can listen to are "My Bonnie" and "When The Saints Go Marching In". In October he gets "Love Me Do" and "PS I Love You".

He's not coming to see the rooftop show at the IMAX next week because of this.

Surely you can get him a bootleg of the Decca tapes? Claim you're mates with Dick Rowe.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Retinend on February 01, 2022, 12:10:40 PMnow I feel guilty about being a cunt
"piss poor" would be an insult to piss

Dana Carvey looks like Mike Fucking Yarwood compared to this:

phantom_power

The bad impressions in that are deliberate though aren't they? It's part of the joke

gilbertharding

I dunno. Perhaps. I haven't seen the film. What's the excuse for the brownface?

I was trying to find some appalling amateur skits I saw on there ages ago, but the search function isn't helping.